“Lots of vegetarian options!”

Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 214 Restaurants in Montclair
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Park Street
Description: Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant of Montclair, NJ is a favorite for both vegans & meat lovers with its authentic Ethiopian food. All of our foods are prepared with imported Ethiopian spices prepared daily. The friendly staff and warm decor makes Mesob the perfect place to relax with family and friends. Our Injera, a delicious sourdough Ethiopian flat bread that you wrap your food with, makes Mesob a favorite with kids, where it’s a treat to “eat with your hands.” (but we also have silverware, if you prefer!)
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I was so surprised that an African restaurant had so many great choices for a vegetarian! Love the decor and the servers were friendly. I always enjoy eating with my hands, and liked how much they encouraged it. Desserts looked great, but I was too full :)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

A friend and I accidentally came across this restaurant while walking on Bloomfield avenue.

The staff were friendly and helpful (in describing the menu, portion size etc.) and the food was excellent.

To top it all this restaurant allowed you to bring your own (wine) and there is no corkage fee.

The Ethiopian desserts (Vegan chocolates) and Coffee was a great way to finish lunch.

I would certainly visit this place again.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I am the Ethiopian Groom and on my Wedding Day at Mesobe Ethiopian Restaurant here is what what happened.

As everybody knows the food was great, But

1) The table was not ready for a wedding reception that is,
no table clothes,
not even a single flower on the table of the Bride and the Groom!

2) The Fire alarm went off and it took about 30 min to shut it off!

3) The restaurant Manager requested to ignite the champagne flare and she was not up to the task by being too slow not being able to do the job when another person was next to her who could do the job right!

4) The restaurant Manager did not inform anybody about the wedding cake that was delivered on the same day until she was asked about it which is very unprofessional.

4) There was no sign on the tables that shows that the tables were reserved or that section of the restaurant was reserved for a wedding ceremony!

5) All the tables were naked as a tea room ( Shai Beth) and the Restaurant owner was videotaping the food she prepared as a proof that she delivered the service.

6) It was a shame that your own fellow Ethiopian would allow the Ethiopian Bride and Groom to walk in to a reception where there is no sign of wedding ceremony.

We are glad most of our guests did NOT come to the reception and we had a good wedding ceremony at Medhanialem Ethiopian Orthodox Church already!

I would not recommend Mesobe restaurant for a wedding reception even to my enemy.

TW.

1  Thank Ted W
Reviewed 5 July 2014

When you are in the mood for something different this is the place to go. They have the best ethiopian food I can find and the prices are great. The service is friendly and helpful. They are especially understanding when you need help pronouncing items on the menu. The samplers are great and allow you to get to know what you really like. I also really like the almond cake with raspberry sauce for dessert.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I've had Ethiopian food before but my family had not. I explained how the food is eaten so they were prepared. The decor was great, staff was very attentive and kind, the dishes were well explained when we had questions, and almost everything we ate (the veg sampler) became an instant favorite. If you're Vegan and in Montclair, this is place should be on your list!