“Awesome southern BBQ!”

The Wood Pit Barbeque
Ranked #84 of 210 Restaurants in Montclair
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Generous portions served BBQ style, rolls of paper towels on each table (totally necessary). Friendly service. The smoked ribs just fall off the bone! Go for the corn bread, Mac & cheese and collard greens! Just try and save room for dessert! The food is amazing!! I'm coming back for more!

There are newer reviews for The Wood Pit Barbeque

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We visited the wood pit BBQ this past Sunday, Fathers Day. We expected a small hole in the wall type place, what we never expected was a 50 minute wait for our food, which we left without. NO ONE even told us, how long the wait would be, or ever came out and apologized for the long wait. There were 4 tables ahead of us when we came in and placed our order at the counter and seated ourselves. 1 table was served in about 15 minutes, at least 5 take out pickups came in while we were waiting. Apparently customers had problems with their pick up orders. About a half hour goes by before the 2nd table got their food and a few more take out customers came in. At about 45 minutes we started discussing leaving since there was no communication or courtesy to tell any of the patrons that were behind. There were 3 people cooking slowly behind the counter with no intentions of hurrying up. At the 50 minute mark we paid for our drinks and left. They did not ask us if we ordered, were we still waiting for our order. We probably could have left without paying and no one would have noticed. We really wanted to try the ribs

1  Thank partyrent
Reviewed 16 June 2014

As we approached the door, the smell of smoke (the good kind) was pouring out onto the sidewalk. That was the sign that something good was going to come our way. We waited in line for about 5 - 10 minutes to order. At first, I was a little impatient. But, then, as I saw the food and smelled the smell, I realized that you really can't rush good BBQ. I ordered and we then waited 30 minutes for the delivery of our feast to the table (there are not many tables and definitely not a place for a large group). My kids were getting a little antsy waiting, but I explained to them that if you go to a restaurant and order an appetizer, by the time the main course arrives, it is at least 30 minutes from when you order. I also told them that if we were home and I was cooking this bbq for them, they would need to wait more than 30 minutes.

There were 5 of us. We had: brisket, beef ribs, pork ribs, wings/drumsticks, 1/2 chicken, pulled pork, corn bread, bbq beans, yams, mac & cheese, and corn on the cob. Our eyes were bigger than our stomachs, we brought food home.

In short, everything was amazing (except for the beef ribs). The food tasted as if it was cooked specifically for us, fresh.

I thought I read somewhere that the brisket was dry and lean. Not our brisket. Our brisket was moist and just enough fat. We all loved the brisket.

The beef ribs were the only let down. Although there were 4 ribs, there was no meat. When we go back again, and we will go back again, we will not order the beef ribs.

The pork ribs were fantastic. Hot, tasty and meaty. Wow, were they good.

Wings/drumsticks, and the 1/2 chicken, were excellent. Smoked and flavorful. They were not dried out at all.

Pulled pork was moist and very good. The only item I used the bbq sauce was on the pulled pork. I used the sauce not because of any problem, simply to add some spice, flavor and heat (I used the spice bbq sauce (the rest of the family used the non-spicy bbq sauce)).

The sides were all amazing. One after another. If it was my style to go on for pages, I would. Everyone one of us thought the sides were amazing.

When we were done, I went to the smoke master and told him how impressed I was. I eat bbq all over the US and this was really up there with some of the best.

1  Thank Robert S
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My experience at The Wood Pit was very poor. We placed our order and the wait was not bad at all. So, we left and arrived at our destination only to realize that our order was incorrect, as well as we did not have any eating utensils. I called back and they were willing to replace the order. When we finally did get eat our food it was not seasoned. The smoke flavor was definitely there, but there was a lack of seasoning. Our side dishes were not that good either. The collard greens and yams needed work, but the veggie beans and mac and cheese was pretty good. The chicken was very dry like sand and the brisket needed seasoning.

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

...will be back again. Excellent brisket and chopped pork sandwiches. Solid cornbread. Friendly staff @ counter. Can't wait to try ribs on next visit!