“Great food, Tiny space”

Brick Lane Curry House
Ranked #84 of 213 Restaurants in Montclair
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 25 November 2013

They have the best Indian food in Montclair, which is saying something as there are a couple of really good Indian restaurants on Bloomfield Avenue. It is very small, so actually eating in Brick Lane can be challenging, especially during peak hours. Lunch is a great deal there and the crowds aren't there, at least during the week. They do a booming take-out business, which is what we often resort to.

Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

We hadn't been back in a year. Our dinner was excellent. Portions have gotten bigger and were perfect. We shared samosas, an assorted chicken tandoori platter that continued to cook at tableside and shrimp jafrezi in a nice tomato and onion sauce. Homemade naan was good also. Service was pleasant and efficient and of course BYOB . The chicken was my favorite and I look forward to going back soon.

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Brick Lane's lunch special has got to be the best value in Montclair. For $10 you get to choose your main curry dish (smaller than the dinner portion but it doesn't matter since you'll be stuffed from everything else) which comes with rice, a side of lentils, a side of their veggie of the day, naan, and if this weren't enough you also a get a delicious rice dessert, which is similar to a rice pudding although not as thick in consistency. And if you don't finish everything don't be shy to ask them to wrap whatever you don't finish even if it's just the lentils and/or veggies (which I've asked to have taken home and the waiter even added extra rice when I asked even though I had finished all of mine). Everything I've tried here has been excellent and the waiters are usually very attentive, although it sometimes feels understaffed when it gets busy.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Although this is part of a chain, the breadth and flexibility of the curries menu and the quality of the food is distinctive. It's a popular place. Serving size is about average. Value is good if not great.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

This little curry restaurant is a terrific place to get an Indian meal in a comfortable and cozy atmosphere. I visited here when helping my son move into grad school at Montclair State. I love Indian food and he is the only other one in the family who shares this propensity. Hence, we take advantage of the opportunities when it is just he and I to partake in Indian fare. We found this place on TripAdvisor to be the closest Indian restaurant to the University (about 2 miles) so we decided to give it a try. It turned out to be a great choice. I found the little area of downtown Upper Montclair to be a lovely, warm and comfortable place. This restaurant matched that ambiance. It was located on a corner near the edge of the town center area. The exterior had a very inviting appearance. The cozy interior was shaped in a unique fashion with the floor cornered at odd angles, which added to the charm. The tasteful décor was more or less modern and almost looked like it could have come from an Ikea display. We were seated promptly and experienced good service all night. The menu presented several good choices. We shared an order of aloo chaat to begin our meal and found it to be very tasty. For our mains, we had the calamari stuffed with seafood and the jalfrezi curry. The calamari was pretty good though it was unnecessarily bland. I thought they missed an opportunity to put some kick in that particular dish. The jalfrezi was terrific, however, as it was spiced perfectly. We finished with masala chais with which we were both quite happy. The prices were quite decent for the quality we received. I would recommend giving this place a try both for the food and the cozy atmosphere.