“Very nice but avoid dessert”
Review of Saveur Creole

Saveur Creole
Ranked #62 of 213 Restaurants in Montclair
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were looking for a restaurant in Montclair to enjoy while chauffeuring our son to and from a middle school dance, located Saveur Creole on Trip Advisor and decided to try it. The service, atmosphere and food- with the exception of dessert- were terrific. There is an small area decorated with flowering plants to sit outside and the inside is designed to resemble a veranda. The prices of the entrees were very reasonable especially when one takes into account the fact that entrees include a choice of soups and also a salad. Everything was freshly made and there were a large variety of choices including a number of things I would want to try in cooler weather. The only reason not to absolutely rave about Saveur Creole was dessert. We were told that there was no dessert menu when we asked but the choices were orally provided to us. My husband had cream brûlée and I had a sort of deconstructed sweet potato pie. My dessert was ok but my husband's cream brûlée was terrible- it seemed curdled and was the consistency of cottage cheese. That was a disappointing ending in and of itself but it was even more sour considering the price- $15 each which was disproportionate for entrees in the $30 range. We felt ripped off and had to wonder if the cost of dessert was to make up for the reasonable price of the entrees and/or that was why there wasn't a menu which disclosed dessert prices. Before dessert we would have made a special effort to return to Saveur Creole. Now we might go back, but would most definitely not order dessert at Saveur Creole.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I took my husband for his birthday to this restaurant, and he loved it. The food is rich in flavor and very spicy. Everything was delicious from the soup, salad, appretizers and the main course. We could not eat dessert because it just was too much. The ambriance was very artcy and intimate. The staff were great and very helpful with selections. You do have to walk with your adult drinks. The price was reasonable. The only draw back that I have is that the place was too dark, we had a difficult time reading the menu.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

This food is a road trip of sheer culinary delight. I am as frugal as they come, but every once and a while I must treat myself to this fine dining experience. I promise you by the time the meal is done you will want to just lick the plates. Not one morsel of food will be safe from your lips. not even a kernel of rice.

A Haitian friend took me here. My first experience was the snapper. The head came with the fish and I sent it back for decapitation. Americans don't like fish with heads. After that it was all clear skies. The fish was cooked to perfection. I also had some sort of green soup that had tiny dumplings. We had an appetizer plate that was a combo of everything and all of it was good. For dessert I had the creme brulee and the only reason why I didn't lick the bowl was because I didn't want to embarrass my conservative friend. To tell the truth I don't know the names of half the stuff I ate, all I know is it was so good all of us finished our plates. We had a four course meal and barely spoke to one another the entire time.

My second time there I enjoyed some sort of curried or stewed goat. I also had some sort of rice and beans. My vocabulary really can't do the meal justice. Wasn't a kernel of rice left on the table by the time I finished that plate. I may have even eaten the garnish.

I recommended the place to one of my Haitian students just to see if she thought it was authentic. She told me her 60 year old parents LOVE it. They have taken her there at least 3 times now.

It's a good place to celebrate milestones: birthdays, engagements, graduations, promotions, etc...

And very sorry to hear one patron had a bad experience with the server. I've been going for 3 years now. Same waitstaff and I've always gotten good service. Also a racially mixed crowd, which I always like. It's a very small place though, so reservations are a must.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

While the food at this storefront restaurant is fairly good by suburban standards, we have never felt more unwelcome or unimportant throughout an entire meal. The coldness by the wait staff was enough to make sure we will not be back. When I inquired about certain dishes during ordering, there was no feedback. It was an inconvenience. After we had our appetizer, I mentioned that a certain pickle dish was very (burning) hot and perhaps they should mention that.... SILENCE. Just like you, we prefer to be treated nicely wherever we dine. That did not happen at Saveur Creole. PS When I received the phone call confirming our reservation the person on the phone was equally cold and indifferent.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

My wife and I were looking for a place to host my mother-in-law's retirement dinner. I sampled several French Creole restaurants throughout NJ, and this is by far my favorite. I find myself comparing French Creole food to how my mother and grandmother cook, which to me is never a contest, although other restaurants have come close. However, Saveur Creole had me thinking my mom and grandma met their match. I had the Legume D'aubergine (eggplant) with beef which I gave a 10 out of 10. Their appetizers were finger licking good! What stood out to me was the customer service. This restaurant is a BYOB. We called ahead to make a reservation and confirmed we could bring a bottle of wine. They offered to go to a wine store next door and purchase it for us if we did not have time. The owner and staff took time to talk to us to make sure our experience there was perfect. I also like the fact this restaurant is away from the main strip of other restaurants in Montclair, and parking is very easy to find. To sum it all up, it was excellent food, excellent customer service, and plenty of parking.