“Local Gem” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Montclair Art Museum

Montclair Art Museum
Ranked #4 of 20 things to do in Montclair
More attraction details
Owner description: The Montclair Art Museum, a notable, community-based institution with an international reputation, boasts a renowned collection of American and Native American art that uniquely highlights art making in the United States over the last three hundred years. The collection includesmore than 12,000 objects: paintings, prints, original works on paper, photographs, and sculpture by American artists from the 18th century to the present, as well as traditional and contemporary Native American art and artifacts representing the cultural developments of peoples from all of the major American Indian regions. The Museum’s education programs serve a wide public and bring artists, performers, and scholars to the Museum on a regular basis. MAM’s Yard School of Art is the leading regional art school, offering a multitude of comprehensive courses for children, teens, adults, seniors, and professional artists.
River Edge, New Jersey
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Local Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Gorgeous setting for a terrific art museum, not only New Jersey historical cultural offerings but world reknown artists as well. Definitely worth the visit!

Visited December 2012
Montclair_Art_Museum, Public Relations Manager at Montclair Art Museum, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you dramom for your kind words. We hope you'll return soon!

Montclair, New Jersey
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Lovely Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

I've lived in Montclair since I was a young child and only recently did I visit this museum. I was so surprised at how much I enjoyed my visit considering the trips I have made in the past to museums in the city. I was expecting to be disappointed. There was one statue in particular of a woman wrapped in cloth that really amazed me. I will definitely be back with friends.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank CujawK
So glad you visited us CujawK & that we exceeded your expectations! Thank you for your kind words. The statue you referred to is William Couper's "Crown for the Victor" (1896), which has been in the Montclair Art Museum's collection since it's opening in 1914. It is currently part of our "100 Works for 100 Years" exhibition, highlighting our collection. To learn more about our Centennial Celebration, visit montclairartmuseum.org/MAM100. We hope to see you again soon!
Montclair, New Jersey
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A Gem in New Jersey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

This is a small museum, but one with excellent collections in three areas: American art from colonial times to now; American Indian art, both historical and contemporary; and the oevre of George Inness, 19th c. American painter who lived the last several years of his life in Montclair, the very town in which the museum is located. In addition, the museum puts on several superb jewel-like exhibitions throughout the year. Finally, the museum offers in several sessions during the year a wide variety of art classes, to all age groups, in its own studios, from traditional drawing and painting to contemporary avant-garde media. It also hosts occasional lectures and musical performances, with which I am not familiar. If in the New York area,I would strongly recommend a visit, even a detour.

Visited June 2013
Montclair_Art_Museum, Public Relations Manager at Montclair Art Museum, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Thank you wmb244! In addition to our American and Native American collections, we also offer contemporary art exhibitions and programs. We are very proud of our Yard School of Art classes and educational programs for adults and families, and encourage you to check them out!
New Jersey
107 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“I live here so I take it for granted”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

It is a landmark of the community. Something we are very proud of. I find it peaceful and stimulating all at the same time. It has many special productions and tries to offer something for every age and constellation. I recommend that you keep up with what is on tap and come for whatever.

Visited August 2012
Thank you travailour! The best way to stay in touch with all that is offered by the Museum is to join our email list. You can do so here: http://montclairartmuseum.org/enews.php#.UjskfyRKDlI. We are also very proud to be part of this community!
New Jersey, USA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is a wonderful museum. It is small enough so that you can see all the exhibits in one visit and large enough to have the most interesting exhibits. There is an art school for both adults and children and special programs for children. I never tire of going to the Montclair Art Museum.

Visited June 2013
Montclair_Art_Museum, Public Relations Manager at Montclair Art Museum, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Many thanks for your kind words Renee! We look forward to seeing you here again soon.