“See and be seen on Church St.”
Review of Raymond's

Raymond's
Ranked #6 of 218 Restaurants in Montclair
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This place is always a fan favorite. Weather we go for breakfast, brunch or lunch, we always enjoy ourselves and run into peplos we know. It is quite crowded on weekends. They do make the best french toast in town, made from baguette bread. It is also great place to meet friends and chat...

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Have been to Raymond's twice in 2 days and it is amazing. Once for lunch and once for dinner. For lunch I had the grilled chicken and peppers sandwich and it was fantastic. For dinner I had the tuna burger and holy crap; it was by far probably the best burger I've ever had. And trust me I've had plenty of burgers from plenty of places. The service was good and they recommended good food choices. This is a BYOB so enjoy that aspect. Overall a great place that you should definitely check out.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We went to Raymonds for a casual dinner and were completely shocked at how bad the service was. We have been here before, and it was never stellar but was certainly never bad. This night was awful. What made it even worse was when my husband went to buy a gift card before his dinner came out. It was extremely slow service, it took an observant waitress to see that we were not being helped and really just wanted our beer/wine opened. In defense of our actual server I think she was all but being held hostage by another table. Regardless, we finally got our drinks opened and order taken.

While waiting for our entree's to come my husband went in to get some gift cards. He is a business owner and wanted to get gift cards as a thank you. It took him well over 15 minutes until he came back to the table. His hot food had already been delivered while he waited and waited inside. When I saw him finally coming out he quickly went back in and said something to someone. We came to find that he purchased the gift cards through the woman who is the new "manager." She has to be the worst manager on the planet. Aside from taking WAY too long to run a gift card when he walked out she turned and made derogatory comments to a co-worker about him. Well he didn't leave that alone and went back and asked her what was so funny, and she had the nerve to say to him "there's no reason to be rude."

The ONLY saving grace of our entire dinner was the server Anna, who came to our rescue in the beginning. After my husband wanted to go back in to return the gift cards because he couldn't stand to give them to anyone after our horrible experience, Anna came over and very sweetly convinced him otherwise.

As local business owners ourselves, I can only hope that the owners of Raymonds know what a GEM they have in Anna and what a HORRIBLE manager they have in their new hire. I can't imagine treating customers the way that that "manager" did. Because of her we will NEVER go back to Raymonds. But because of Anna I might reconsider.

2  Thank kiki1776
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Years ago I had lunch at Raymond's but never went back because there is always a wait. A few weeks ago though my husband had the eggs in brioche at Raymond's in Ridgewood and raved about it so we went to Montclair because it was closer. We got there just before it got too busy. First disappointment- the eggs in brioche aren't on the Montclair menu- hash and eggs instead. I had the Norwegian Eggs Benedict. It was very tasty but served with wilted arugula. I happen to love arugula but it was very, very wilted and an odd combo for breakfast at 8 am. My husband had an omelet. He said it was good and we both liked the potatoes that came with it. The food is served on very small plates- perhaps so it looks as if the servings are bigger- but it is hard to eat. Also, my water was lukewarm and served without ice. I couldn't get a refill of it and by the time we left the place was frenzied. Aside the from the line out front, the place was packed inside- we had to ask to move strollers parked at tables to even leave! Somewhat expensive for small portions and mediocre service. Not ideal.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have been going to Raymond's for years, but found this trip a little disappointing. The Asian Chicken Salad was bland, boring, and overpriced! My son's tuna melt was blah. My daughter loved her old standby, Mac and Cheese, but overall it was an expensive, disappointing lunch.