“Breakfast Exceeded Expectations”

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Where: Taco Bell, Montvale, NJ

What: Waffle Taco (sausage), A.M. CrunchWrap (sausage), Cinnabon Delights

Builds:
Taco Bell Description - Waffle Taco: A warm waffle wrapped around a delicious sausage patty and fluffy scrambled eggs topped with cheese and served with a side of sweet syrup.
My Description: Waffle, sausage patty, scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese.

Taco Bell Description - A.M. CrunchWrap: All the classic breakfast tastes like fluffy scrambled eggs, a golden crispy hash brown, real cheddar cheese and a delicious sausage patty, wrapped up in a warm flour tortilla and grilled, so it's good to go.
My Description: Scrambled eggs, sausage patty, cheese, spicy sauce (mild), hash brown, toasted flour wrap.

Taco Bell Description - Cinnabon Delights: Warm, golden bite-sized pastries filled with Cinnabon frosting and covered with Makara cinnamon sugar.
My Description: Cinnamon doughnut holes filled with Cinnabon frosting.

Comments: Two words: "Exceeded expectations". I know, I know, it's fast food, but it was breakfast, and it was a fast food chain trying to do something new so I had to check it out.

Although most items on Taco Bell's menu consist of the monotonous reuse of a few core ingredients over and over again, fans of Taco Bell don't seem to care. Perhaps the ingredient combinations make patrons feel like they are getting a custom-made meal. Who knows? But one thing I can tell you is that just a few breakfast ingredients combined in a host of different ways definitely works, and works big.

I was very happy to see that the Waffle Taco was exactly what I'd hoped it would be; a crispy waffle with a soft inside, similar to the texture of their Chalupas tortilla. The eggs actually had real egg flavor and the sausage was very tasty. The cheese tasted like real cheddar and the whole thing put together was really quite good.

As for the A.M. CrunchWrap, it too was a very nice combination of breakfast flavors and textures. The added hash brown and (mild) spicy sauce were both great additions to the scrambled eggs, cheese and sausage. (There was a lot going on in that toasted wrap). BTW, don't expect the hash brown to be "crispy", it's pretty darn mushy from being in the wrap.

And finally, the Dessert:
The Cinnabon Delights were much better than expected. They were crispy, with molten frosting inside and the Makara sugar added a unique flavor.

One thing I need to mention is that we ordered three sausage Waffle Taco's and three bacon A.M. CrunchWraps - the Waffle Tacos were fine, but the Crunchwraps came to us with sausage instead of bacon. We were too hungry to deal with sending them back, so we ate them. In retrospect I was pretty ticked-off at the time, but after tasting how good everything was I softened quite a bit, after all, it's a fast food joint - we weren't there for the service.

Yes, we will be back, this was an excellent diversion from all the fast food burger joint breakfast offerings.

• Visited March 2014