“Good property with close proximity to NYC” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Montvale

Courtyard Montvale
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Montvale
Ottawa, Canada
“Good property with close proximity to NYC”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

The hotel is in a quite area with not much around it. However, the location is in close proximity to New York about 40 min. and about 30 min. away from the largest outlet mall in US - Woodberry Commons! The hotel is on a small size but the rooms are a good size, clean with HD TVs. The staff was friendly and accommodating (I asked them to change the room type and they quickly arranged it with no extra charge) I also enjoyed the restaurant in the hotel "Fire & Oak" they have a very culturally diverse menu with some Italian, American, Japanese dishes, I had their risotto scallops and they were delicious although a very large portion. The only negative comment is, we had a bug in our room, maybe because our room was on a ground floor but nevertheless unpleasant.

Room Tip: try to get rooms above the ground floor
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MontvaleGM, General Manager at Courtyard Montvale, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Evgenia,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay and your experience at the Courtyard by Marriott in Montvale, NJ. We are glad to be of service and appreciate you letting us know our oppotunities for improvement. Our Maintenance team is looking into the bug issue that you experienced and will make sure that we look into getting this resolved.

We thank you for staying with us and we hope that we remain to be your preferred host whenever you are in the area.

Best regards,

Cecilia Kuhlman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Faridabad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

The Courtyard is a good property but comparatively smaller to other hotels in the area.
The rooms are good and the staff is friendly. The shuttle service runs for 4 hours - 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening.
Overall it was a good experience. Do try out the Fire & Oak Restaurant, its one of the best in the area. Ask for Daniel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dumfries, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

As a Marriott platinum member I am very familiar with the Courtyard chain as I have enjoyed staying at them across the globe. Upon my arrival to this location I decided to shower before stepping out for the evening. Shortly into my shower I noticed the water was not draining correctly and was backing up. I finished up, called the front desk, and made them aware of the situation. I was told they would take of it while I was out for the evening. I came back hours later (left around 430 came back after 11) to find still standing water over 3 inches deep. I called again and was assured someone had come and taken care of it while I was out.... Meanwhile I'm looking at still standing water in the shower. I awoke next morning to find the water still standing at the same level I had left it the afternoon before. The water level hadn't lowered. Needless to say I was less than pleased.

Besides the incident mentioned above, the hotel is satisfactory. Customer service is the corner stone of the hotel industry and this establishment is severely lacking in this area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Warwick, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

For those of you familiar with the "Courtyard" setup, this is not anywhere close, which for me was refreshing since I stay in them all the time. This hotel has a restaurant, the Fire & Oak, connected (but independent) directly to the hotel and it's very good. Also very nice restaurant bar and private dining options. Guest rooms are adequate, but I do like the stand up shower instead of the tub. As some of the reviews indicate, this might give the impression that the bathroom is smaller than normal, but I would say it's about the same. Again, refreshing from your basic Courtyard design. Fitness room was fine and grounds seem well maintained. Location is great and there is good shopping/dining within a walking distance. Rate I paid was a steal given where it is.

Room Tip: Hotel is very large, so ask for something closer to elevator if you don't want to walk too far.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BackinNY
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Hi
I was visiting this hotel during a business trip
Room is very nice and clean, wifi is free and fast.
There is a very nice complementary shuttle service to the nearby area which helped me a lot- very nice service

I will visit here again while I'm in the area

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank yaki a
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Hotel is fairly nice and updated, rooms look dates and uninviting. Didn't use the pool but it looked nice enough. The man who checked us in was impatient and obnoxious. Bedding is low quality and was too small for the mattress, kept waking up on the bare mattress which was disgusting. Bathroom was worn out, wall was missing tile, lack of attention to detail. Overall just not a good choice for the area. Try the Hilton or th Marriott park ridge

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank yadin
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Staying here at the moment to bridge over the days between moving out of my house and leaving the country. Overall a very nice and roomy room, nicely appointed, big shower.
My rate comes with free breakfast... What nobody told me is that not all breakfasts are created equal... and so you have to pay extra if you take any of the warm items. Breakfast room staff overall unfriendly, bordering on unpleasant, didn't bother mentioning that.
Pool is nice but not too clean. Showers at the pool are inop.
Location is good when you are with one of the companies along Chestnut Ridge Road.
Oh, there are a lot of weddings here at the moment, which means that people will walk through the hallways in the middle of the night loudly chatting. But that's not so much the hotel's fault but rather these people's rudeness.
Fire and Oak is a nice upscale bar and restaurant right in front of the hotel. On the pricey side but very good.
Overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MontvaleGM, General Manager at Courtyard Montvale, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear MaKu70,
Thank you for staying with us. Your company negotiated rate does include a continental breakfast. We do offer a full paid breakfast as well at the hotel. I do apologize that your experience was not completely up to expectation. Service is of the utmost importance to us. I will make a point to meet with the breakfast and maintenance staff to review your expectations and mine. Thank you for choosing Marriott. We hope to see you again when you return.

Paul Viapiano
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montvale
Park Ridge Marriott
#1 of 1 in Saddle River
Hampton Inn Nanuet
Hampton Inn Nanuet
#2 of 5 in Nanuet

Been to Courtyard Montvale? Share your experiences!