Courtyard Montvale
  • Pool
US$209
US$201
US$120
Residence Inn Saddle River(Saddle River)
US$167
US$159
Fair Motel(Upper Saddle River)
US$86
US$144
US$131
US$156
US$127
All reviewsfront deskdouble doorsoak restauranttypical courtyardon site restaurantthe garden state parkwaychestnut ridgenice stayquiet locationnice roombusiness tripking roomfollowing morningcoffee makermini fridgenew jerseyclean hotel
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Very professional, kind and helpful staff! Michael Ferrara, the Front Desk Supervisor is especially warm and welcoming. He asked about my room preferences, and gave me a recently renovated room that was beautiful and far enough away from elevators and stairwells so that I would have restful quiet. My colleague arrived after the bar and restaurant had closed, so we decided to sit just off of the lobby to talk. Michael thoughtfully approached us to apologize for the bar and restaurant closing for the night, and offered to get us what he could. He and his staff also went out of their way to greet us each evening when we returned, and to make sure that our rooms were perfect (which they were!)

Great management and service coupled with the recent renovations makes this Courtyard a must-stay for business and personal travelers alike!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is my 3rd review of this hotel, as we have stayed here over 30 times in the last several years. We are also Marriott Elite travelers. This is a very nice, well-appointed Courtyard, but unfortunately you cannot stay here if you enjoy sleeping, because every weekend the place becomes inundated with drunk wedding guests who make noise all night long and trash the place. It's like trying to sleep in the middle of a fraternity house that's having an all-night rager. It seemed as though the staff had been addressing these issues at one point -- suddenly a bunch of "quiet hours" signs went up all over the hotel, and there was information at the front desk stating "no parties allowed." But our last visit proved that nothing has really changed, and although this hotel is incredibly convenient for us when visiting family, we can no longer stay there. The hotel has security, but apparently they just hang out downstairs until someone calls the front desk to complain about noise. 2 out of 3 nights we had people yelling in the hallway until 3 or 4 am. Each time, no one from the hotel put a stop to it until I finally called and asked for help. At one point, there was a person just randomly banging on doors and shouting obscenities. Not exactly family friendly. Why isn't security patrolling the hallways on a regular basis (like every 30 minutes) to ensure that things are relatively quiet after 10 pm? Why is it MY JOB as the guest to tell them when they are needed? What a shame. Also, every weekend morning the lobby and restaurant area would be full of garbage -- empty beer bottles, empty beer boxes, general litter, etc. Even by 9:00 am when the areas seem to be well-staffed and daily operations were fully underway. To summarize, if you are the kind of person who likes to get falling down drunk at weddings and then scream incoherently in a hotel hallway for 2 hours before retiring to bed, this is the place for you. But if you are traveling with small kids, or traveling for business, or just generally enjoy peace & quiet between midnight and 4 am, I suggest you stay far far away. We have given this hotel SO many chances, including speaking with the manager about these issues, and we just can't do it any longer.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank travel141
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed 1 night and I was very happy with my stay. The room I had toward the back of the hotel was fairly spacious, quiet and very clean and comfortable. Convenient parking all around the hotel with plenty of access doors to the hotel.

The Fire & Oak restaurant attached to the hotel is fairly noisy, but the food is very good and many people were there enjoying the facility - always a good sign!

The front desk staff were extremely friendly and I was especially impressed with one of the gentlemen (sorry I don't recall his name because he checked my colleague in, but not me) who remembered both our names several hours later when we passed by the front desk!

I would have given 5 stars except for 2 items:

1. Construction going on - was very noisy while having breakfast
2. The breakfast buffet was good, but I expected it would be included in the room price - was an additional $11.95

Will stay here again the next time I am in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The staff at this hotel is extremely helpful and honest. My wife left the hotel without packing her Ipod not realizing this until we reached home and unpacked. She immediately called and to our surprise the housekeeper returned it to her supervisor. It was
packed and mailed to us that same day. It was a pleasure to deal with such forthright
Professionals.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank dmoria
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Courtyard by Marriott is in an area replete with corporate headquarters and R&D facilities. In other words, there is an ample supply of clients from which they can source business from people on business travel with business budgets. I think I came at a bad time to this hotel because they are in the middle of a lot of developments and renovations. It wasn't noisy, it was just a bit disorganised in terms of how to get to rooms, access to convenient elevators and the breakfast facilities are less than ideal. That said, the service here is great and the staff - perhaps conscious of the upheaval - go out of their way to any to make sure that you're informed and happy. The internet is quick and accessible everywhere including the gym. Speaking of the gym, I never expect much from a hotel gym but this is gym is really left wanting. If you are looking for cardio machines then you should be fine except that 3 of the treadmills were not working for both of the days I stayed at the hotel. The stair machine also did not work for one of the days I was there. The whole gym has a very dated feel - it could double for a scene out of Anchorman with the added disappointment of not actually hearing Ron
Burgundy count out his biceps curls.

The restaurant fire and oak is very good so I recommend eating there while you're staying at the hotel. It is probably the strongest feature of the hotel along with the service. There is also a handy shuttle service to buildings in eh try surrounding area which is useful for both drop offs and pick ups.

If you're in Montvale I would try or shop around. That said I am happy to try out the courtyard once the refurbishment is completed in LATE MAY.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
MontvaleGM, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Montvale, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear LCollens,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write about your experience on trip advisor. We appreciate the kind comments about our staff. Our whole team strives to make sure that each guest feels like they are at home and we love going above and beyond at all times for our valued guests. It just so happened that during the time you came we happened to be upgrading our services, which by the way are almost all completed. I am happy to say that the gym newly renovated as well!

We are happy that you took advantage of eating at Fire & Oak. It is very beneficial to have such a great restaurant to compliment our hotel. We do hope to see you back in Montvale real soon. Be sure to let us know when you are coming back, so we can make sure you are in one of our newly renovated rooms! Thanks again for staying with us and enjoy the rest of your weekend.