“Not a Corporate Marriott- Franchised Out!”
Review of Courtyard Montvale

Courtyard Montvale
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Montvale

Stayed 7/4-7/6-2014

1) Religious Conference taking place. Attendees converged throughout the whole hotel. Checked in and was given a room on the 2nd floor next to the conference room. Attendees occupied the hallway and the noise level was ridiculous. Went to management and was rectified immediately and given a new room.
2) Apparently, the conference attendees were a higher priority than other guests...they took over the lobby and pool area. They played religious music and left all their garbage behind in the pool area. When their wasn't enough seating they took it upon themselves to take indoor chairs out to the pool area. I was left wondering who was actually managing the hotel. The people who booked the conference or hotel management.
3)I was assured by management that the attendees would be checking out by noon the following day and was anticipating a quiet day after a day of chaos. However, when I woke up the next morning and noticed that the pool area was still a disaster. The pool water was murky and clearly not chlorinated for today. I immediately addressed this issue with management only to be told that they didn't know when facilities/housekeeping was coming in for the day(the lobby was also a disheveled clearly not tidied up). I also then found out that the attendees would not be leaving at noon that they were having a BBQ for a 100 + people in the pool area, which is a small area. Leaving once again other guests thrown to the wayside.
4) Clearly, there is a miscommunication from the owner of the hotel and middle management. Middle management was left in the dark just as much as I was as a guest.
5) My only positive experience throughout my stay was with middle management (behind the desk). Kudos go out to Michael and Irene. They did everything within their power to accommodate me.
6) The end of my experience is this....I wound up checking out and going to the Park Ridge Marriott, which was all the experience I expected from a Marriott Hotel. Lesson learned...beware of the franchised out Marriott Courtyard. They do not have to uphold the same standards as a corporate Marriott. As the front desk clerk at the Park Ridge Marriott said and I quote if you don't see a portrait of Mr. J.W. Marriott hanging in the lobby it simply is not a Marriott.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Theresa D

Reviewed 8 July 2014

In mid-June, we stayed at the hotel while attending a convention at the Metlife Stadium. We reserved 5 rooms and asked to be in the same area. 2 rooms were on the first floor next to each other, 1 room was on the first floor, but down the hall and around the corner and down another hall, the remaining 2 rooms were on the 2nd floor. The first floor rooms had lovely patios facing the pool, but we were unable to sit outside as the doors were bolted and no chairs were available. Ants were the only things able to get in and out the patio door. The front desk staff were rude and did not even look up from the computer to look the customer in the face when checking in. In fact it took us almost 20 minutes standing at the front desk to be registered. I cut my leg the first night and got blood on the white duvet. I dabbed it with cold water, but the stained duvet remained on the bed during our 3 day stay. Sheets are not changed daily, but every 3 days. They ran out of room towels all 3 days. Breakfast for the convention crowd was served in the hallway, which was great for us, but disturbed the guests staying in the rooms along the hall. Breakfast was ample and fresh, but the powdered eggs were really, really bad. Disturbances of people running and screaming and playing in the halls during the early morning hours (1am, 2 am) on both the 1st and 2nd floor had to be reported. A cell phone was dropped on the floor in one of the conference rooms, and it was found the following day on the floor under the table. Were the rooms even cleaned? A purse was left in one of the rooms at checkout, but trying to obtain it was a nightmare and unsuccessful. The person we spoke to in housekeeping was extremely rude and did not listen to the fact that we had left the purse hidden under the mattress of our bed. They were too busy telling me that their "girls don't steal". Stealing was not the issue. As far as I know the purse is still under the mattress, which makes me question whether the sheets were changed even after we checked out. Air conditioning complaints got a "give it some time" response and we had to go out to buy a fan to keep the room cool enough to sleep in for 3 nights. We were told there were no other rooms to move us to. However, after we personally cleaned the units air filter, the unit did work much better, but still not adequate to cool the room sufficiently. While using the baggage carts, we were insulted by a man sent by the front desk to "assist" us. The occupants of the 4 rooms all arrived via 2 vans and luggage needed to be sorted out. After being told that the man was very busy and didn't have time to put the luggage on the cart according to the room it was going to, he just threw the items on the cart and then became frustrated when the cart wouldn't move correctly, cursed and stomped inside. We were then left with the mess he had made. The kids enjoyed the pool and since we had a handicapped child with us, the handicap access into the pool was a god-send.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Dawn P
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Spent the past weekend here for a baseball tournament. Hotel is nice. Lobby area was clean and had enough room for people to gather. Wish they provided free breakfast - thought it wasn't worth the money. Room was decent size and beds were comfortable. Hotel was very busy. Had a situation during the night to where I was woken up and had to go down to the lobby to rectify the problem. Needless to say I was not happy since the issue was not my doing. The next day went to the desk to complain. He said he would convey my feelings to the manager and will let me know how they plan on handling what happened. Needless to say I left the hotel without a response. When I got home, I checked my email and there was an email from the manager apologizing for what happened and actually making the situation right. Have to give him credit for just not dismissing my complaint and taking care of me. I would stay here again when I'm in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bobkat10
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed here for 5-6 days on a business trip recently, and it was incredible. Definitely the best hotel I've ever stayed in, very up-scale, beautiful, and clean rooms. The interior designs in the room are very modern and contemporary which was nice.

Each time I called the front desk, they referred to me by my name, which I thought was an incredible personalized touch. The in-hotel restaurant, Fire and Oak, is also 5 star; delicious, fresh food. I also visited the Park Ridge Marriott during my stay, and I'm glad I was staying at the Courtyard Marriott. Id recommend this hotel to everyone going through the area!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is the recommended hotel for several corporate training centers nearby. And it is clear why. The staff is super friendly and professional. The rooms are clean, spacious, and comfortable. And the restaurant/bar is one of the best in the area. There is a hotel shuttle that took us to and from training nearby, but the one morning when the shuttle driver was busy, the hotel manager drove a couple colleagues and I to our training in his personal car. Breakfast is excellent and again, the staff is superb. You won't be disappointed by the hotel, staff, location, or restaurant quality here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My office HQ is nearby, and this hotel has a lot of what I need when I travel for work. Free parking, breakfast, free wifi, clean/modern rooms (recently remodeled), etc. Also, there is a decent restaurant connected to the hotel with room service. I like that the hotel also has WSJ; not just USA Today.

The hotel is close to some local shopping, many office, and not too far from NYC.

One potential downside - the room rate is high for a Courtyard.

Room Tip: This hotel's hallways are very long; if you have trouble walking or a lot of luggage, ask for a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times during the past couple of years because it is so close to friends and family for both my wife and I. Overall the hotel is reasonable clean and the staff are generally nice and friendly and mostly competent. The trouble is that on the weekends the place becomes one big part with people running up and down the halls yelling and screaming at all hours of the day and night. They don't have security to speak of (or so it seems) and when you call the front desk to complain they act as if it is your fault. I wish I had a better option in the area, maybe I will try the Hilton or the full service Marriott. Again if you need a place to crash during the week this is a fine hotel, DONT stay there during the weekend unless you don't value your sleep or want to join in the party.

Room Tip: Stay in the back
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank George J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montvale
Park Ridge Marriott
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
#1 of 2 in Suffern
5 mi away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Mahwah

Been to Courtyard Montvale? Share your experiences!