“Dishonest and Untrustworthy”
Review of Courtyard Montvale

Courtyard Montvale
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Montvale
Reviewed 19 August 2009

We had a confirmed reservation through Priceline at this hotel - which the hotel staff refused to honor. We arrived there late in the evening with a young child who needed to go to bed. They staunchly refused to give us a room, even though we had paid for it four days earlier. After keeping us waiting half an hour, we were surprised and shocked to find ourselves being shoved off in the dark, in an unfamiliar area, to try to find the sister property in Saddlebrook armed with nothing but a Post-it upon which the desk clerk had scribbled only the most rudimentary directions - not even the name of the sister hotel, its phone number, or a map to help us get there. So of course we got lost. A nightmare experience from start to finish. Buyer beware.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Italinan
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Montvale

Reviewed 19 August 2009

I remember staying here for a business retreat and was pleasantly surprised! The hotel was completely furnished like the newly decorated homes in the shows you see on TLC or HGTV! I was also pleased with the service.

The only thing is, I'm not sure what else goes on in Montvale, NJ that someone would need to go there. But it is not far from the Palisades Mall and is located near the NY/NJ border that is toll free!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank AnonymisslySpeaking
Reviewed 13 April 2009

I was recently at the Courtyard in Montvale, it served as my home base for a week.

The Courtyard looks like it went through a major restoration. The lobby and rooms are very nice. The room I had contained a HDTV which actually had HDTV pumping through, and a nice bathroom. I found the bed comfortable, and yadda yadda yadda. I say "yadda" because this is a courtyard and I know what to expect.

Some things that weren't positives.

- no wireless in the room, not a deal breaker, however, a tad inconvenient. Sometimes the internet did not work when I wanted to connect to VPN.
- i found the staff willing to accomodate those guests that they thought had big bucks. I am not a "high roller," I'm not broke. The folks at the front desk seemed to schmooze more with the older crowd. They also seemed more eager to please them.
- This was extremely evident at the bar. The guy at the bar is nice, and can poor a mean drink. He just didn't pay attention to the younger folks. I tipped him fine, and thought I was polite, he also schmoozed with the perceived high-rollers.

The hotel isn't close to much in walking distance. It is about a 10 minute drive to a major shopping mall. There are a few strip malls along Chestnut. The Commuter Rail Station is about a 4 minute drive, if you want to get to NYC without driving.

I will probably stay here again, and then expect that I will be treated differently. I guess that's life.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank moogie14a
Reviewed 12 July 2008

This was the absolute best staying experience I have had in the area. This was my first time here after staying at two other hotels in the area. The line when I checked in was long but I waited no more than 4 minutes before being helped. The staff at the front desk was very warming and welcoming (Great first impression) After checking in I passed the bar and decided to have a drink. Great atmosphere at the bar and really liked the huge flat screen TV they had. Once I got in my room I was blown away by another flat screen TV inside. The room was average size and nicely decorated. I didn't have enough hangers in the closet so I called down to the front desk to let them know, and less than five minutes later some were delivered. The fitness center was also fantastic. Would definitely recomend to my associates and friends, and am definitely going back

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2008

We stayed here for two nights. Checked in late (around midnight), they gave us the room we requested (upper floor) and were pretty quick to direct us to our room. The room was nice, great flat screen tv, nice amenities. My ONE complaint though, and this is why I didn't give it five stars, and this is perhaps petty, but why in the world do the bathroom doors (they are french doors) have WINDOWS in them? I hated that. Each window was probably about 1.5 feet long by 6 inches wide. They were "ribbed/ribboned" so that it was more difficult to see through clearly, but you could still see what was going on inside the bathroom if you were standing right outside (yes, you can see if someone is at the sink, or doing other things!). I am pretty modest, and simply just didn't like the idea of not having complete privacy in the bathroom. The breakfast buffet was great, unfortunately we didnt realize that it WASN'T complimentary so we walked out of there $27 lighter (for two of us). Maid service was really impressive, our bathroom 'stuff' was nicely organized and rearranged for us on the counter, and everything was very clean when we returned to the room. Overall, good stay, would recommend.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2008

I will keep this simple:

Checked in late before 11pm. no one greeted me, no acknowledgement from clerk, standard check in. Wisked by the lounge two guest interesting decor lobby, lounge, bfast area. Going to room hallway, elevator smelled. Had a nice room, small but to be expected from a courtyard. I went back to the lobby, (nightcap) 11:08pm female bartender looked at me and said she was closed even before I said a word. I just looked at the flat screen TV which had the news on then went back to room. Next morning 10 minutes before 7AM; walked to bfast area there was the bartender now a server (buffett attendant) she said I could only have cereal at this time nothing hot out until 7AM. I took a small bowl with milk. I sat at closest table to buffett. 5 minutes later was offered juice. I asked her if she worked a back to back shift, she said that she requested to so she can attend an event. She had to stay at the hotel, but she complained about the bed being to hard for her, prefers her own. (little too much information). I was never asked again if I needed anything else. Never saw the hot food.

Upon leaving the hotel two gentleman were behind the desk (no acknowledgement from them) I asked if the van would take me to my office, they said there was no one there to drive the van. (2 guys behind the desk???) I called a taxi.

I think this could be a great limited hotel, but service improvements have to happen first.

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank ivorywizard
Reviewed 13 February 2008

The Courtyard Montvale was highly recommended by my colleagues. My stay there this week showed that it deserved their praise. Check in & out were quick & painless. The staff was courteous, efficient, and extremely helpful. The room was nicely appointed with a sitting area and a work area in addition to the very comfortable king size bed. The flat screen HD television was a nice touch as well.

The hotel restaurant will not be open for a few more months (the hotel itself apparently opened about 8 months ago), but there is a breakfast cafe and a bar and at least one restaurant in the area provides delivery service that can be charged to the room.

This hotel is definitely a step above the usual Courtyard.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montvale
Park Ridge Marriott
#2 of 5 in Nanuet
Residence Inn Saddle River
Residence Inn Saddle River
#1 of 1 in Saddle River

Been to Courtyard Montvale? Share your experiences!