“Love Marriott and this is why...”

Courtyard Rockaway-Mt. Arlington
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Arlington
Billings, Montana
“Love Marriott and this is why...”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Life isn't perfect. I get that. I travel all over the world and try to stay within the Marriott family whenever possible because the staff really really cares about their hotels even when life is full of twists and turns.

I get to NJ and decide to stay in a hotel for a long weekend before the house is clean and livable (on the road for 6 months this time). To remind me that there is no place like home, it was just one of those freaky weekends at this Marriott.

Check-in was delayed more than an hour because one of the children associated with the softball playoffs thought it would be fun to pull the fire alarm. Hung around outside and chatted up the ballplayers; these kids were really nice.

Finally get checked-in and have a great night's sleep on the awesome firm mattress in the lovely quiet room at the end of the hall. Just great. Want one of these mattresses at home. The room was quiet despite the chaos all around between the softball players and wedding parties.

Headed out the next morning and walked right into a wedding party of dwarves. No, can't make this up. It was cool.

What wasn't so cool was coming back Saturday evening to find the bathroom flooded. Because I just roll with it and am not nasty when letting staff know that things are a little unusual, I learned that the person in the room above had flooded the bathroom by not putting the shower curtain inside the tub. The engineer thanked me for not being a jerk about it. As if he could do anything about the person above me.

Come Sunday night, there's no hot water in the room. Although the hotel staff offered to move me to another room, it was late, I was tired and figured that there would be hot water in the AM. There was and off I went to work all fluffy clean.

On Monday evening there was no hot water, again. But the weekday staff person was able to explain the hot water problem. Let it run, says Erica, it will get hot; and it finally did.

Despite the bumps, I still really like this hotel because of the staff. Fantastic staff, great location, recently updated premises, easy highway access and close to THE world known as NYC. With the new train station less than a 5 minute walk away, getting to NYC no longer requires a car.

Thank you Erica, Nick & Kelly for your empathy and 'can do' attitudes. You just reaffirmed that, whenever possible, the nice people try to take care of each other. In the end, this hotel made it right in a way that was unexpected. It was truly appreciated.

For fellow travelers, this is a lovely hotel with a great staff. If you're not a jerk or demanding when stuff goes sideways, you might be rewarded in a most unexpected way, too.

Room Tip: If it's a busy weekend, don't be afraid to ask for a room away from the fray. It's poss...
Green Features: Yes, they try to encourage customers to not throw down towels every day or request that sheets are changed daily.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ask A
Erica B, General Manager at Courtyard Rockaway-Mt. Arlington, responded to this review, 14 October 2014
Ask A,

Thank you SO much for this wonderful review! As you explained perfectly, we cannot always expect to provide perfection, but we can provide excellent service and work to ensure that our Guests are having an excellent experience, even under the strangest of circumstances. Your understanding and patience was most appreciated, and we look forward to your next visit at the Mt. Arlington Courtyard!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Came in town to visit family. It was convenient and a nice place to stay. People were very friendly and accommodating. Make sure you make your RSVP well on advance of your trip as they fill up quick! Only thing that would be nice is if the had a shuttle.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Janene R,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again the next time you visit family in the Mt. Arlington area!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed overnight here while attending a wedding at a nearby venue. The Courtyard Marriott is a decent option for this purpose. The hotel is clean and quiet and seemed to have a lot of wedding guests sleeping there overnight. This hotel falls within expectations and overall it fit our needs well.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Erica B, General Manager at Courtyard Rockaway-Mt. Arlington, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
nbee98,
Thank you so much for this valuable feedback, and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Here at the Mt. Arlington Courtyard we strive to provide a truly Excellent hotel experience for our Guests. If there is anything in particular that we need to work on or improve upon, please feel free to reach out to me at erica.berglind@marriott.com. We take our Guests' feedback seriously and are constantly working to improve. Thank you again for your comments, and I hope you will choose to stay with us again soon!
Rockaway, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We got married in Hackettstown, NJ and checked the 3 hotels recommended by the venue. We wanted a place convenient to the venue, reasonably priced, and also with a nice space for people to gather after the wedding to continue the celebration. Courtyard at Mt Arlington was the obvious choice, with a really nice lounge area on the first floor for people to sit together and share drinks and conversation late into the evening. As soon as we expressed our interest, we were connected to Jareen, who coordinated our stay, including reserving a block of rooms, figuring out transportation schedules, and setting up a private brunch for the morning after the wedding. Jareen was always extremely responsive and helpful, which helped to minimize the wedding planning stress! I would definitely recommend this hotel both in general, and especially for wedding weekends!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
LV_ZH,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review, and congratulations on your recent marriage! All of us at the Mt. Arlington Courtyard are honored that you chose us to take care of your wedding guests during this very special time in your lives! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay, including a late closing at The Bistro after your reception and a private Brunch in our meeting room for you and your wedding guests the next day. Jareen has great pride in her work and loves helping our brides with whatever it is that they might need, and she is thrilled that her hard work has been recognized! Thank you again, and please keep us in mind for future celebrations!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is clean and nice hotel, but, based on my experience at this hotel, there's something else that I think is worth knowing for potential customers.

I stayed here recently for a wedding whose activities, shuttles, etc. were based out of this hotel; but when I showed up with my reservation, I was told that they were overbooked and that they couldn't provide me a room. I understand that this is a thing in the hotel industry, and I think it's terrible business practice to overbook and then fail to honor reservations (what's the point of making a reservation, getting in the car and driving for hours, only to be told about that reservation, essentially, just kidding!); but I won't rant about that in this space. Instead I'll describe just how poorly the front desk staff handled the situation.

After I gave them my name to check in, I stood there for several minutes holding my bags while three staff members were shifting around doing things and not talking to me about what was going on. One simply said, after I gave them my name, 'uh-uh, no'; but she said it to one of her colleagues, not to me. Another asked for the phone number of Fairfield Inn, and then started making a phone call. Confused, and knowing that checking in isn't typically this convoluted, I spoke up and asked if there was a problem. At that point they finally addressed me as a human being to inform me that they weren't honoring my reservation; but that was only after I prompted them after standing there pathetically, holding my bags and scratching my head.

So they were gonna send me to the Fairfield in 10-15 miles down the road. The thing is, though, there's a Holiday Inn directly across the street from the Merriot; and as I said I was at the Merriot for a wedding, and had mentioned to them that all of our wedding activities were happening out of the Merriot, not 15 miles down the road, so proximity was important to me. But I suppose that the Faifield Inn is a business partner and the Holiday Inn across the street isn't; so despite defeating the entire purpose of me booking with the Merriot in the first place, (for proximity), their first call was to the Fairfiled Inn miles away, rather than to the hotel across the street.

This was all frustrating enough; but I couldn't have imagined that the front desk staff would also start blaming me for their failure to honor my reservation. They kept insisting that I booked my room 'last night,' when in fact I had booked it 10 days in advance of when I arrived. I help up the confirmation email on my cell phone to show them the proof; yet when they went to get the manager, she walked out and opened up the conversation with 'so you booked the room last night,' and I thought I was going to have an aneurysm.

But wait, that's not all! According to another member of the front-desk staff, this was also my fault because I failed to provide a phone number on my reservation, so they couldn't call me to tell me they were screwing me over by not honoring my reservation. I don't recall whether there was a line in the online booking form for phone numbers, but I do know that when you have my email and my credit card information and a *reservation* from me, notifying me about the status of that reservation (made 10 days in advance) is not impossible.

In any case, the staff went through a number of machinations to make me feel like this was my fault--making the false accusation that I'd only booked at the last minute the night before, suggesting that they'd have called me if I'd provided a phone number, etc.--before the manager agreed to get me a comped room for the next night, and comp my friend's room for that evening (because my partner and I had to stay with our friends on the first night; there was no way in hell I was going to miss half the wedding festivities staying at the Fairfield Inn, wherever that is).

For me, though, the comped rooms were not a happy ending. They were really the least Merriot could do. I don't think I'm a special person who deserves special service, but I do value the basics. Honesty and integrity--honoring reservations, being sure not to mess it up when you overbook, refraining from blaming a disappointed customer, refraining from passive-aggressive silence with a confused customer, etc.--mean quite a lot to me. So this minor ordeal really aggravated me at a time when I was supposed to be sharing in the celebration of my friends' marriage.

Plus, incidentally (I promise this is the last paragraph), I wonder how Merriot would react if I walked into their lobby on day of my check-in, but canceled my reservation at the last minute? What if I told them 'hey, look, I'm sorry, but it turns out I overbooked myself this weekend at 3 hotels in the area, and I'm just not gonna go with yours?' What would Merriot do (WWMD)? They'd assess a fee, of course. And that's just hypocritical.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Aaron H
Aaron H.
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback!

First, I would like to apologize sincerely as your arrival experience with us was not handled correctly. We are constantly working to improve upon the service we provide here and we are conducting the appropriate training to ensure that this does not occur again. I understand your frustration and we are very sorry.

I would like to clarify that when our hotel is overbooked, (which does not happen often, but it does occur) our Guests’ convenience and overall experience are our priority. The hotel that was offered for your alternate accommodations was the closest hotel with availability that evening.

Just in case this is information that may come in handy in the future, should your travel plans ever change last minute your reservation at our hotel can be canceled up until 6pm on the day of arrival free of penalty (unless you book an advanced purchase reservation which has different terms and conditions).

It is our goal here at the Mt. Arlington Courtyard to ensure that we provide our Guests with an Excellent hotel experience. It is clear that we did not meet your expectations, nor did we meet our own. I want to apologize again and assure you that this is not typical of the service we provide here. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again soon so that we can win your loyalty! Thank you again for your feedback!
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My first trip there was very nice. They have a happy hour with a free drink and appetizers in the evening. No close restaurants, but there are plenty just a short drive away and you can get limited pub food at the common area near the lobby. Rooms were nice and clean. Very comfortable accomodations.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Fogymtn,
Thank you so much for this review, and YES! Please do try to stay with us the next time you're in town! I am so glad that you enjoyed our Managers' Reception featuring complimentary drinks and appetizers for Guests on Tuesdays. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit at the Mt. Arlington Courtyard by Marriott!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This is a hidden gem in Northern NJ with easy access to Route 80. I stayed here with my elderly mother for 4 nights and the staff was very friendly and helpful. As a frequent traveler at hotels around the country, I know the front desk staff is trained to put on a happy face. However this Courtyard was exceptional and everyone went out of the way. Once they found out that my mother wasn't very mobile, Jim in engineering ensured we got a microwave and fridge in the room. Also I’m in awe of the lady in the Bistro’s memory (Lori). She remembered our standard breakfast order even though there were a slew of wedding guests over the weekend. My only wish is they had 2 beds in the handicapped rooms instead of the single king. Otherwise a wonderful stay and will definitely return!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dan G,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review! We appreciate the fact that you chose our hotel for your stay in the Mt. Arlington area with your mother. Thank you for the excellent comments about our associates, especially our Chief Engineer, Jim, and our Bistro Server, Lori. They take great pride in the work they do for our Guests and are thrilled that their hard work was recognized. Thank you again, and we look forward to your next visit at the Mt. Arlington Courtyard by Marriott!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Arlington
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Arlington-Rockaway Area
Homewood Suites Dover-Rockaway
Residence Inn Mt. Olive at International Trade Center
Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway
Holiday Inn Budd Lake-Rockaway Area
Extended Stay America - Mt. Olive - Budd Lake

Been to Courtyard Rockaway-Mt. Arlington? Share your experiences!