Courtyard Rockaway-Mt. Arlington
ExtendedStay
US$91
Priceline
US$89
All reviewswedding weekendflatbreadrehearsal dinnerwedding guestsfront desk staffthe entire stafffamily eventfridge and microwavebusiness travelerstaying at this hotelup to datecomfortable roomsnew jerseythe general managernice staybistromarriott
Reviewed 26 May 2009

First thing I noticed is that being "Gold" doesn't really get you anything, no updrades. No corner kings were available for my two week stay. They were available, just not for that long was the impression I got. So I have a normal room which is fine. And although it was a holiday weekend and I checked in on the Sunday, a room wasn't set aside for me so I had a really bad room initially. To me, a room should have been set aside considering I use them as a loyalty member. I don't like having to change rooms after I check-in but that seems to be the norm these days. Here are some of the notable things I've discovered thus far on my trip.

- Small bathroom but upgraded to granite. No drawers or shelving under sink. I normally like this for my longer stays.

- Gym - 2 treadmills, one elliptical, and one bike. One weight all-in-one that didn't have a pin to delineate the change in weights. I had to let the front desk know that there was no remote control for the gym TV and about the pin. There is also no free weight set which should be standard for any hotel gym imho. I was also told by another guest that when the air is warm (which is has been recently) that the gym gets incredibly hot and miserable. We'll see as it was a cool day today.

- I also had several things that were in need of repair in my room and normally if I stay a night or two I don't mention aanything but longer than that and they need addressing. So the drawers needed to be held open otherwise they would fall out. They were fixed in one day. The fan in the bathroom is incredibly loud and I think it should auto turn-off in time but I'm told it's like that. So I keep it to a minimum noise level by keeping the door closed. Requested a fridge and microwave and they were immediately brought to the room.

-Curtains are torn and quite dirty. They need to be replace. Carpet is new and nice. Bed is a bit soft and I prefer the harder beds but perfectly fine.

- Pool is quite large and goes to six foot depth. It is long enough to do laps if you are a swimmer. The spa is nice too.

- Very close to highway and train although the train doesn't run on weekends apparently so this is worth noting.

- Staff is very accommodating and friendly with the exception of the Gold loyalty treatment. I didn't even get my silly elite room key card.

- Lots of restaurants nearby and everything seems close.

First of all, it's a wall controlled A/C and Heater unit. I don't care for these because they are either always on or off. I much prefer the thermostat controlled so you can get some down time from the noise of the A/C.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2008

I cannot understand how people gave this place a good review. The rooms are depressing, the complimentary snacks are cheap and mostly non-existant and the woman at breakfast asks for gratuity.

I was staying at the hotel with work colleaugues and we were given coupons for complimentary breakfast; but why does the woman at the breakfast area want a tip? She never offered coffee when we started breakfast but cleverly came at the end of our breakfast to ask if we wanted something! I think it is very rude that she can ask for gratuity when she does nothing to earn it.

The rooms are dated and though functional, are a sight for sore eyes... The cleaners/room maids stand outside your and stalk you so they can enter the room to clean, and they all stare...

The women at the front desk are nice though none of the staff mentioned that there is a complimentary shuttle bus that can be used at one's convienence.

I don't advise any corporates to stay at this hotel as it is in the middle of nowwhere, the 'restaurant' is not a really a restaurant as the food is pre prepared frozen the re-heated trash, it has paper thin walls and only one communal computer for people to use- not reallly set-up for serious working people: and it is hardly a place that makes you feel at ease...

It is however good for those on a budget and want a room that is just bare minimum.

It would be good if other people can comment on this hotel so corporate companys stop sending their employees to this below standard hotel. (apparently the hilton is $4 more but a much much better hotel).

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2008

Stayed here on business in early May, 2008. Marriott charges top dollar but backs it up with great service. The Courtyard in Mt. Arlington was no exception. The breakfast was outstanding (unless your company has a contract with them, it's $9) and the service was up to Marriott's high standards. The room was beautiful and the employees eager to help. One cannot really go wrong staying at a Marriott property if your willing to pay the fare. Highly recommended for business travelers, but for those on personal travel and sticking to a budget, I'd head to a Parisippany motel for half the price.

The Courtyard also offers an exercise room that had a confusing weight machine and three cardio machines. An indoor pool and hot tub were available. Free drinks were offered on one night during the week. Internet access is free of charge. A Cracker Barrel restaurant sits across the street with other dining just a few miles away.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2007

Our 12 year old girls softball team stayed here for the weekend for a nearby tournament. We had a group of about 30 parents and kids. The rooms were clean, the location was good, and the hotel threw in free breakfast (which was a nice breakfast) for free. We'll be back next year!!

• Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 15 April 2007

Decent hotel all the way around. Stayed for business and found it easy to do what I needed there.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business