“OK for a short stay”

Best Western Burlington Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mount Holly
Reviewed 3 August 2011

My experience mirrors that of several recent reviewers. Upon arrival, I was met with a blast of cigarette smoke upon entering the hotel. The hallway outside my room had the distinct odor or stale cigarettes. The staff was friendly and accommodating but honestly there was only so much they could do unless the hotel is renovated and the management decides whether this is going to be a smoke only hotel, aggressively police the non-smoking wings or offer a smoke free hotel.

I was traveling with a sports team and apparently there was a fairly wide variance in the condition of the rooms as a few in our group had to request a room change. The room I received was clean, everything worked fine and I had a good night's sleep. There was a very slight odor of cigarettes in the bathroom for the first few hours of my stay.

The "included" breakfast was actually better than I had expected. There was fresh fruit each of the two mornings of my stay, along with a fresh mixed fruit salad. The "make your own waffle" was pretty good and there was a good assortment of cold and hot cereals ( several different flavored oatmeal that you microwave). There was also a juice dispenser with OJ and apple juice that was sufficiently cool with appropriate taste and a carafe of fresh cold water also available. However, the pleasant surprise was the coffee. Even in multi star hotels, I have had to go out in search of decent brew. Not here... the coffee was pretty good and I am picky about my coffee.

Also, by the second day, the hallway outside of my room smelled much better. I guess the dearth of cigarette smokers in our group led to a fresher environment.

The fitness room needs to be upgraded. There are a few aerobic machines in need of replacement and a couple of multi station weight machines that were standard and functional. However, if you are looking for a challenging workout, go to a private gym.

There are 3 restaurants in the area, an Applebees across the parking lot from the front door, a Cracker Barrel to the rear of the property and a sports bar/cafe with wall to wall televisions and edible pub fare nearby( easy walking distance) at the Hilton Garden.

I didn't try the indoor pool and while we were there I never saw it occupied by more than a few people. However, the temperature hovered in the high 90's during my stay so an outdoor pool was probably a better choice for the day.

All in all, the hotel was about what I expected for the price. It proved a bit better than what I read in some other reviews but the management needs to decide what type of hotel they are going to offer- smoker or smoke free. It's a good value for families using the facilities while participating in the local sports tournaments. However, the hotel could have been made more pleasant if for at least 24-48 hours before a tournament, the non- smoking rooms are not smoked in. I don't know how this can be enforced unless the hotel installs very sensitive room smoke detectors, Otherwise, the hotel should advertise itself as a smokers paradise. It obviously doesn't do a great job offering both smoking and non-smoking rooms.

Room Tip: Just tell them what you want and they will try to accomodate.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 July 2011

BW, Burlington Inn, Mt. Holly, NJ
7/13-14

Check-in OK, but when we got to the room the lighting was very poor.

The light over the easy chair was especially dim for reading.

There was not a standard lamp with outlets in its base on the table/desk.

The ice bucket had no lid.

They tried to find us some more lamps or higher-wattage bulbs but none
were available. An appropriate desk lamp was found, finally and made a great
improvement.

The microwave and refrigerator were plugged into the double wall socket which
was obviously meant for computer and etc. plugging in. I asked why those two
appliances could not be plugged into available sockets on the power strip which
the TV was plugged into, freeing the wall socket for the table. They did so.

When asked why it was a two-person room, but only one chair at the table/desk, they had no answer other than all the rooms were like that. They loaned us a chair. The obvious query about where the two people would sit if eating a meal went unanswered except for a suggestion to sit on a bed or the easy chair. (Compare this to the BW at Sterling, VA next to Dulles Airport)

The directory in the room is out of date, and does not have the newer Best Western Plus designations for properties. They had no directories at the front desk.

Beds - sheets we hope are clean but they have a look of having been slept in already - very strange look for sheets which have been washed and folded after drying. Pillows are an odd, small almost half-size shape. Two pillows and a fancy one instead of the three of varying textures we are used to. The fancy pillow is more like a sofa throw cushion.

Bathroom lighting over the sink is terrible for trying to shave or do make-up.

The breakfast room is great! One of the best I have experienced in any chain. Nancy, the hostess, does a wonderful job. Examples: individually-wrapped tableware. Nice-sized yogurt cups, in two sizes. Waffles, and the guest is asked to pour their own batter in a cup from a dispenser. Normally already poured and set on a special tray. Fruit chunks like fruit salad (but, the melon pieces were not ripe). Boiled eggs, already shelled. Large assortment of breads. Other breakfast items.

The towel rack in the bathroom is pulling away from the wall.

Room Tip: I don't know if they have a "best room".
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DouglasT2
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We went as a sports group for a tournament and every family in our group was unhappy. I have complained to corporate. The entire place smells of smoke, the room air conditioners are very noisy lacking thermostats (and one family reported it leaked on the floor and luggage). Overall the facilities were quite dark and outdated and the pool was broken our entire stay. One family in our party reported blood spots on their sheets and another an oozing wall, of some sort. Gross. Please take my advice (unless you need pet friendly or are a smoker) and stay at the Hilton nearby (by the Cracker Barrel).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank K1027
Reviewed 19 June 2011

After driving 12 hours, we were happy to see that the rooms were very clean and the staff polite. PET Friendly. But a little Pricey !!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MaryMacTree
Reviewed 17 June 2011

We stayed for 2 nights along with a big group. There was a definite smell of smoke in the hallway and in the "non-smoking" room we had reserved but when we requested another room it smelled just as bad so we just stayed in the first room. We got some Febreeze from maintenance and sprayed it again and again.
The breakfast was pretty good. The staff was very accommodating to the large group and allowed us to order in some dinner for the kids and eat it in the breakfast area which we cleaned up after we were done. There are a couple restaurants within walking distance that were okay and a big mall with a movie multi-plex is also very close.
It is a budget hotel and for the price it isn't bad.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Looper745
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Room smelled of previous animals. Neighbors dogs started barking after they checked in in the evening. Owners probably left the room for the evening, and dogs were still barking at midnight. When I called the front desk, for the third time, they tell me that the people are not in their room and not answering the phone # they left. So after midnight we moved to another room far away from the barking dogs next door, so we could get some sleep. I was told they would probably never change their PET FRIENDLY policy because they make a lot of money on it. I will never return becaue I value a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank sleepytraveler23
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Luckily we only stayed here for one night. We almost left in the middle of the night anyway.

The hotel itself is what you'd expect from a budget hotel ... very, very basic of course. Yes it does smell like cigarette smoke and the towels are like sandpaper. But, it was clean and the continental breakfast was OK. I've slept on worse beds and we knew we were only staying for one night so it was tolerable in that respect.

But .. the walls are very, very thin. We could hear everything our neighbors were saying. And that's where the problems began. Our neighbors went out for the night and came back around 1 a.m. and decided to have a party in their room. Yelling, cursing ... you get the idea. The "F" word every other sentence. My husband called down to the front desk and asked them to send someone up. The front desk called the partiers and asked them to keep it down which did no good. Make a long story short, three phone calls to the front desk and a visit to the desk by my husband begging them to move us or do something, anything, about it and we were denied. The front desk told they wouldn't do anything to help us. Nothing. So, be aware of this if you're travelling with your family that the walls are very thin and don't expect any help from the hotel if you're stuck in a similar situation.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Red Roof Inn & Suites Westampton
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 11 in Bordentown

Been to Best Western Burlington Inn? Share your experiences!