“Non smoking here means smoked in and a fishy smelling hallway”

The Westin Mount Laurel
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Mount Laurel
On the road again
“Non smoking here means smoked in and a fishy smelling hallway”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

I am a platinum member and my room was smoked in prior. I complained nothing was done. The hallway smelled like fish. The staff act like a bunch of amateurs. With tons of Cornell Hotel School grads looking for work do not understand why they hire rank amateurs with no training or experience. I have come here for 3 years, never see the same face which means turnover must be incredibly high. The smoked in room killed me as I have allergies and I will not be back.

Westin is losing its status as a premium experience and top managers at SPG must be asleep at the helm!

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank DoctorVonCueBall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

I am a starwood preferred guest. As a frequent traveller I tend to stay with SPG hotels if possible because you know what to expect. If you are expecting to get what you pay for, as I do, just avoid the aggravation and find somewhere else to stay. I booked the westin workout room that upon my booking confirmation promised
"King Bed
• Westin Workout Non-smoking, Smoke-free
• 35 Sq.m/380 Sq.ft • Floor To Ceiling Windows
• Heavenly Bed And Bath • Treadmill And Dvd/cd Player
• Pilates Workout And Equipment"
The Westin website where I booked the room promised
"IN THE ROOM
For those who prefer to work out in privacy or at their own convenience, Westin offers the special option of booking a guest room equipped with a treadmill, a stationary bike, dumbbells, fitness DVDs, resistance bands and stability balls. Exercise at any hour of the day, for as long as you like. We’ll make sure you have bottled water, plenty of towels and whatever else you need for a fulfilling workout."
What I received was a dark small room with a half deflated swiss ball, a treadmill and a HVAC system that woke me up all night because it was so noisy. (room 311) When I went to the front desk to ask what was going on (and waiting a LONG time for a manager who was clearly in no rush) he rudely informed me that the hotel is sold out, someone else is using all the equipment and I should "take what I can get". He also informed me that if you are going to stay in a workout room, you need to call the hotel and make a request for the equipment. Nowhere in my confirmation or on any westin website does it say this. I did look. I asked him to have the GM, Mr. Martin Faye, contact me and I never heard another word from anyone at the front desk or from hotel management. I booked this room for at a higher rate than the average room because as a mother travelling with a special needs child alone, if I want to get in my daily exercise I cannot do it at the hotel gym. I train daily and it is important to me, so the Westin Mt Laurel's failure to even care is especially disappointing. To be fair, I did negotiate a discount of $50. I would have much preferred to just get what I reserved, or what I thought I was paying for.
Even the room service breakfast was a disappointment. My coffee was a single coffee cup with coffee in it and plastic wrap on top. No carafe of coffee. No cream even! No sugar! Just sweetener. 2 people dining and only one set of utensils. I expected more from a $36 breakfast that included 2 eggs, toast, yogurt, coffee and orange juice.
On a positive note, the staff at the Bellagio restaurant are incredible. As I mentioned previously, I have stayed at this property often, and the hotel aspect is always mediocre, but the restaurant is consistently fabulous. The staff remember my children and myself, and treat us like old friends. They remember what they like to eat and since this Westin no longer gives out the kids club amenities, the staff actually apologize for that and seem to genuinely care about your experience. Honestly they are the only reason I go back to the Westin Mt Laurel but sadly, no longer.

Room Tip: The club level rooms are better than the rest. Higher ceilings and more light.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Kaix0
Middletown, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

I bring my family here every year because they enjoy the zoo and the aquarium which are nearby. This year, we met out first challenges. The AC in the room did not work. It was 84 degrees in the room upon checking in. After trying to fix the unit a couple times, the engineer Carlos had the desk call me. They offered me a room change, which I reluctantly accepted due to the hour of the night. It was a busy friday night with a wedding party checking in so the bellstaff and carts were being utilized. Tony from the desk not only came up with new keys, but helped us move our belongings to the new room down the hall. Lucia the desk manager was very pleasant during our stay, following up with us the following day. She offered us a comp'ed amenity, which we chose the internet. The staff was very pleasant and friendly to my family. We also feel quite safe at this hotel, seeing security not only in the lobby but also patrolling the floors.
We enjoy returning every year.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Martin F, General Manager at The Westin Mount Laurel, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Dear Henry D.,
I appreciate your kind comments about our hotel. Although there was a problem with your air cconditioning when you first checked in I am glad that we were able to rectify the situation.
I have been stressing to our staff the importance of follow-up and it is encouraging to hear that Lucia did contact you the next day to insure everything was fine.
We look forward to welcoming you again for your next family vacation!
Thank you.
Martin Faye
Grapevine, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

business travelers beware. The Westin Mount Laurel is not too shabby - big lobby, nice receptionists. The regular king room is nice. It is spacious and has a chaise lounge which I thought was kind of cool for working on my laptop.

However, the wifi is not cheap by a long shot:
1. They charge you per device
Got a work phone, personal phone, ipad, and laptop? Want to connect all at the same time? That would cost you about $40 per day at the daily rate.
2. They possibly charge for wired connections...
Tried to plug my laptop into the cat5 plug that is available on the desk in my room, but it didn't work. I assume there is a fee for this too because the sign on the desk gives instructions to plug in your computer, open a browser, and follow directions (to a fee im sure)

Starwood Preferred Guest? Doesn't matter. The hotel doesn't offer wifi for free to SPG members.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

If you normally stay at a Westin and prefer lounge privileges, this place is not for you. The 7th floor is for SPG preferred guests and has a lounge. It ran me $199/nt. In the evenings, the lounge was poorly stocked, the food was horrible (pigs in a blanket? Mystery carb mush in phyllo?), some celery stalks, and you have to ask for a beer. They had run out of water when I arrived.

The lounge breakfast is ok, a continental layout that includes fresh fruit and breads. Standard stuff. At 6:15 am they were scrambling to set up...early risers beware. If breakfast is included in your rate, expect a horrible buffet in the ground floor restaurant. Scrambled eggs so dry sitting in a heated cast iron fry pan that they are all but Inedible. Greasy pork stuff does abound and there is fresh fruit. I must say staff is very polite and I think a bit befuddled by the deficiencies of the property.

As for the room, stay off the 7th floor. The stall shower was designed such that the shower heads (ah Westin, dual shower heads) are pointed at the shower door. When you turn on the shower you get a face full of water if you're not careful. A better idea is to take a king room on a lower floor where the shower is in the tub.

All in all the place appears to be a Westin. They charge Westin prices. The rooms are clean and include the amenities one would expect, but the food and beverage is so bad one should look at the hotel as only a place to sleep, and for heaven's sake don't pay extra for the 7th floor!

• Stayed August 2012
Martin F, General Manager at The Westin Mount Laurel, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear Paladin47,

Thank you for sharing your comments about our hotel in Mt. Laurel.

I was recently appointed as General Manger for the property and i can tell you that i very much appreciate our guest's opinions about the hotel, both positive and negative. Your comments concerning our Executive Floor are important to us and I can assure you that we take them very seriously.

I have discussed the food variety and presentation with our Executive Chef and we have been reviewing and evaluating every item that is placed in the lounge. You had some very valid points which we remedied immediately. Our objective is to provide both the product and atmosphere that a guest at a Westin hotel should expect.

Once again thank you for your comments. We do hope to see you again at our hotel.

Martin Faye
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012 via mobile

My family and I spent a night here. Lovely entrance, very well maintained. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Check in was quick and offered help. As I was walking toward the elevators the bell man came rushing over to help with my bags. The rooms are very clean and no damp musty smell came from the carpets. I have asthma so I'm very sensitive! Lovely quick stay, would def stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Curly06
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012 via mobile

I'm actually still here - haven't checked out yet (staying for the week). I'm also booked for next week but I will need to change my reservation for another hotel.

Staying in a room on the 7th floor. Picked this hotel because I like Westins and it's 3 min drive from where I will be working for the next month or so.

Staff is VERY friendly and somewhat helpful. Room is clean and would be very happy here if it wasn't for one issue. Someone needs to explain to management that air conditioner vents should not be making loud rattling noises. I asked that this be looked at/repaired and was told that every room has the same issue. I was told that front desk would call with other room options (even if not on the exec floor I explained would be fine by me) but no one ever called.

Even worse than how loud it is that the AC kicks in and the room goes from complete silence to boom and rattle. I woke up a dozen times last night every time the AC kicked in. Long story short, nice place to stay but the main reason im here is to sleep. I can't sleep so I need to find somewhere else to stay. If you're lucky enough to be in a room where your AC vent doesn't keep you up all night, your good for you. I will get earplugs for rest of week and go elsewhere for next few weeks.

• Stayed July 2012