“Overnight Stay”

Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Mount Laurel
Colonia, New Jersey
“Overnight Stay”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed overnight at The Westin Mount Laural for a dance competition my kids had early the next morning. The Hotel has a very large and eligant lobby. We checked in late in the day, which was very fast by the time I parked the car my wife and kids were in the room. The rooms are very nice,the bed are comfortable, but small not sure if they were queen of full. There is a mini bar with soda's beer and liquors. The room and bathroom were clean and kids slept good. I checked out early the next morning with a very nice and friendly manager. Overall I would recommend The Westing Mount Laural to family and friends

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Martin F, General Manager at The Westin Mount Laurel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear psully22,
We are glad that you enjoyed you brief stay with us in our hotel. I am happy we were able to take care of your family, even if it was just for a few hours. Come visit us again!
Martin Faye

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
West Chester, PA
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed at this property for 3 nights recently for a conference I was attending. I found most of the front desk staff to be friendly and eager to help, and the room clean and comfortable. The bed really was heavenly, and I slept much better than I usually do in a hotel. I did not use any of the facilities (pool, exercise room), so am unable to comment on that. I found the service in the restaurant to be very slow, and on the first night when I was eating alone the waitstaff was more interested in the basketball game on the bar television than they were in my needs. The food was adequate, but nothing more.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Chescobird,
Thank you for your comments about our Heavenly Beds. Did you know that you can purchase one for your home?
I will speak to the restaurant staff about watching the TV. There is no excuse for that. I hope you visit us again .
Madison, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Mr. Faye,
After reading so many poor reviews of your property are you prepared to reply in a timely manner?
You have a well tenured pedigree in hospitality. Many guests are eagerly waiting for your hotel to be at the level of service that the WESTIN brand consistently delivers.

It is quite clear that disappointments are abound within the SPG membership. Why write to some guests and not all guests? And why also write to the few in which you selectively choose to and say renovations are forthcoming and improvements are in "the works?"

Hire the appropriate management leader, implement the changes immediately and your future reviews will not be disparaging but overwhelmingly complimentary.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank mach1jock

Travellers are raving about these Mount Laurel hotels

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I travel a lot for business, and stay almost exclusively at SPG properties. This Westin does not come close to delivering the SPG experience. I stayed at this property in excess of 100 nights over a year and a half period for two reasons only: 1. I am loyal to SPG and wished to maintain my status, and 2. The heavenly bed is more comfortable than the beds at the Aloft across the street.

During my stays, there were multiple issues with fire alarms going off in the middle of the night, a mysterious event where significant flooding occurred (doing much damage to the 3rd and 4th floors), and more than once, I was told that there was not a room for me at check in. On both of those occasions, while the front desk personnel told me that there was no room available (and that I would have to find a room at another hotel), I called my SPG ambassador who phoned the manager of the property, and magically, a room became available.

The food is not very good, and the service is rather poor in the restaurant. The bartenders are nice though.

Overall, I would not recommend this property if you know what the SPG experience should be and go in with that expectation. I will not stay here again unless I have to.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank JamGolf3
New Jersey
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here for business. It's a modern upscale hotel. However, they need to pay attention to some issues. Upon check in, my first key didn't work. My second room hadn't been cleaned. My third room was great and to their credit, a free upgrade because of the troubles. They also gave me a free breakfast voucher worth $15.99 for waiting. The pool is closed for service (I wasn't planning to use it but this would've been a major disappointment had kids been here). No shower caps available (I straighten my hair). My key didn't work two other times during my one night stay. $10.99 for 24 hours of wi if is outdated. It should be free. During breakfast I moved my table away from the window because the windowsill was so dusty and dirty. Why would this be the case in such a beautiful bar? There aren't many nice hotels in Mt Laurel. Aloft is across the street and newer.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I just stayed at the hotel for five nights over the last two weeks. It was not my first time at the hotel, but the first time in 2014. Things are going downhill. On both occasions I booked rooms with King Size beds. Both times I was told that there were no King Beds available and that there was nothing I could do. OK fine, this happens. When I entered the room on the first week, the bathroom ceiling was covered with unfinished drywall mud - it appears that they were trying to cover up black mold. The room also smelled of smoke. I complained and the front desk moved me to another room - this one with a King bed. I inquired how a King bed was now available when the one I booked was not available when I checked in ten minutes ago. The gentleman just said I don't know.
On both stays the mirrors in the room were cracked. On both stays there were crusty stains on the carpet (I wore socks in the room). On my second stay there was torn and peeling dry wall in the shower. On both stays the concierge room (I am SPG Gold) was barely stocked.
I love the look of this hotel and I really like the staff, but if something is not done soon, this Westin will be no better than a motor in. How the property could let themselves go like this is beyond me.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Scott S
Martin F, General Manager at The Westin Mount Laurel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Scott S.,
Thank you for your comments concerning our hotel in Mt. Laurel. I sincerely apologize that we did not providie the level of comfort you should expect in a Westin Hotel during your visit.
I do appreciate the positive comments about the staff.
On a positive note we do expect to address many of the issues you mentioned later this year with renovations to many areas of the hotel. The operational issues you mentioned are being addressed.
Please feel free to contact me directly if there are any additional issues that are affecting your satisfaction. You are a valued guest and we appreciate your business.
Madison, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

I must to respond to the guest with the cracked mirror.
Also an SPA Member (Gold) ~ ~ I have been at this property many times. I have had good experiences, and average experiences.

I believe the bottom line here is, and I mean "BOTTOM LINE" once again this is not a corporate property.
One which has complete, unaltered guidelines established by the hotel brand and their well trained management teams set forth for their product. This is why there are vice presidents for this and vice presidents for that. Regional directors. Additional directors. Manager of this and manager of that. I could list them but I won't as we all know they exist.
Properties that are owned individually or by small corporations have tendencies to not maintain the brand.
The cracked mirror has been floating around in several reviews from guests on this property for some time.
The glasses on the floor outside the door which remained far too long is simple laziness by any hotel employee. The housekeeping staff will not remove hotelware (ie: glasses from the bar or kitchen, dirty dishes from room service, etc.) If something is delivered by room service it is then cleared by room service. Generally, procedure dictates the guest call room service when their meal is completed. Server arrives and clears. Its quite clear that management has not instructed housekeeping or any other hotel employee to remove the glasses or dirty dishes. Being in hospitality, I would not pass the hallway if I saw something that needed to be cleared. I would not make a call to another department to correct the problem. I could, and would do it myself.

I understand this guest completely. I wish I would have had the opportunity to speak to this guest. I am management. I am old school trained.

Actually, I am irritated in reading what was written. I have complete sympathy for the guest. The bleach and damage on the sweater. That immediately necessitated a complimentary room for the evening. And with the valet, well, its inexcusable. Especially when dealing with a vehicle, regardless of price. What if it were a $100k Mercedes-Benz or BMW? The cavalier behavior in which the car was initially received and then delivered. No security on the property as written to us by the guest.
I am familiar with Fred, working at Bar 555, ever so quiet and professional. The dining room is Bellagio Ristorante. Consistently sparse in guests but some degree of food quality.
The hotel has a tremendous amount of misgivings.
It is time that corporate take a look at The West in Mount Laurel.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo