Candlewood Suites Philadelphia - Mt. Laurel
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Mount Laurel
Baltimore, Maryland
“BEDBUGS!!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This morning when I woke up at the Candlewood Suites Hotel, to my horror there were 2 bed bugs crawling next to me on the comforter. Quick side note: This hotel has a thin sheet over the comforter, so I didn't even notice that the comforter had an array of different colored stains on it until this morning.

Upon seeing the bedbugs, I called the front desk and asked to speak to a manager. The manager (Erica I think she said her name was) came up to my room. I had watched one of the bed bugs and was able to point him out to her. She gave me some story about how she needed to have an engineer check it out or whatever. As two adult women, we both knew darn well that was a bed bug. I offered my phone number so she could call me to apologize (after the supposed "engineer" confirmed our findings) or at least tell me if I should burn my luggage before taking it home.

I was honest with her and I told her that if I hadn't heard back from her about the situation that I was going to write a review on Trip Advisor because I would want to know if someplace where I was considering staying had bugs that I might take home and infect my house with. I have not heard from her and she basically gave me the "do what you have to do" attitude and made no attempt to correct the situation.

Other findings:

- There were several pieces of paper/tissues under one of the shelves on the entertainment stands
- The soap dish in the shower wasn't cleaned and had blue goo (spilled shampoo from a previous guest?) all over it
- The dirty bed sheets I mentioned earlier
- The hardwood floor by the door had not been swept and was gritty
- Management is disinterested
- Random musky smells throughout the hotel

I stay in hotels throughout the mid-Atlantic every weekend and am an IHG Priority Member. I have never had an experience like this weekend at Candlewood. If you're looking for a hotel, there are a plethora of others in the area. I would absolutely avoid this one.

2 Thank TracyVegan
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia - Mt. Laurel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear TracyVegan,

Thank you for being one of our IHG Rewards Club Members. We welcome feedback especially from our valued guests like you.

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience, unfortunately, your account settings do not allow us to send you a Private Message. You are welcome to reach out to our Guest Relations via email at IHGCare@ihg.com or you may send us a Private Message through TripAdvisor to IHGCare including reference to your TripAdvisor Account Name so we can follow up on your experience.

Once again, thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
lancashire
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed 2 nights and would stay again, reception staff very friendly and gave us good tips on where to eat in Philadelphia

Room good with cooker, fridge and coffee making pot, downstairs a free laundry room for guests which was great for us as we had been on the road for several days

Just a short drive to the local train station that takes you straight into the city centre

No restaurants on site so eat before you return

Good value, clean and comfy rooms with free Wi-Fi

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be good and quiet
farmington Hills, mi
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This could have been a great stay in this lovely facility....but... There is an allergy in my family to feathers and down. It's serious enough to result in a hospitalization if it exits in a hotel room. We require all feathers and down pillows and bedding to be removed and replaced with non-allergenic bedding. Most hotel chains understand but some hotels don't get it. Even though we pre-notified this hotel of the issue, nothing was done prior to our arrival and, when we arrived there was not a single non-allergenic pillow in the entire hotel. We had to make do with skimpy decorative pillows. What a shame! We'll never stay at this brand again and will tell everyone we know about this failure. Staff was very apologetic and pleasant, but it was still a lousy night's sleep.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia - Mt. Laurel, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear Scribiner,

We appreciate your time in writing a detailed review about your experience. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into.

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not what you expected. It appears that better judgment could have been made in assigning your room. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience the pillows have caused you. We regret that this aspect has negatively impacted your overall experience and prevented you from enjoying your stay with us.

If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty. We hope you give us a chance to host you the next time you are in the area.

Tracy V.
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I had been in the area for one night, really I was surprised by the quality of the room and staff, it was over my expectation, however I advise this suite for many reason: pleasant helpful staff, clean suite, reasonable price, free excellent internet, free laundry and cheap snack

Reviewed 20 April 2014

The room was huge and very clean, walls are thick in comparison to other hotels, I stayed here 3 nights and didn't get woken up once from noise, plenty of parking lot parking. All the restaurants, movie theaters, shopping centers are located no more than 2-5 miles away, Philadelphia about 15-20 mins ride, staff is great, helpful and friendly. Very happy with my stay.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Morgulets
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I am writing this review from my hotel room at the Candlewood Suites. I decided to stay here due to the great rate I got. What I like about the hotel is the little kitchenette in the room but that is where my likes end. The room itself has this horrible order when you walk in and even with the window open it doesn't go away. Also being on the 2nd floor, when the person above my rooms walks about it sounds like they are going to come through the roof. Also I learned you don't get maid service every day either. Although this place isn't terrible, for me I will choose to stay elsewhere when I return to the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia - Mt. Laurel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Cruisedave,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the noise, room condition and the housekeeping schedule. We will look into this concern. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at a lot of hotels and wasn't impressed by the room. It was ok, very dark except of course in the bedroom where the light from the parking lot shined right into our room.The whole place reeked of cigarette smoke. I hurt myself and needed a band aid which the front desk could not manage to supply. That was ridiculous and caused us to have to take more time out of our busy day to find a drugstore. If you want breakfast it's 1$ for a box of crappy cereal and 1$ for a juice. My kids were starving in the morning so we caved. Shower caps, which are usually free, are also 1$ they don't give you any lotion and the soap provided will dry your skin out. They don't sell lotion either, or toothpaste or anything else you might need!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia - Mt. Laurel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Cristina M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We have sent you a private message addressing your concerns. I trust we can regain your confidence in our products and services.

Dhan M