“they took a bad situation and made it a million times worse”
Review of Crystal Inn

and 1 more site!
Crystal Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Neptune
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed at this motel last week because I was having family problems and needed a safe place to stay. When I booked the room, I was given the price for a single, and when I got there, the incompetent person at the front desk told me to wait until he had a chance to count his drawer and "get himself in the door" because his shift just started. So i walked to the back of the lobby and waited. During that time another customer walked in and asked him for the single room that i had just asked for and he gave the room to them. Forcing me to pay an additional 50 dollars for a double room that I didnt need. I was in a bind and had to take the room. The next morning I was woken up by housekeeping banging on the door. and after I was not able to answer fast enough they began to enter the room. Within 15 minutes of that incident I spoke to the general manager and explained that the housekeeping staff does not pay attention to the "Do Not Disturb" signs on the doors as most of them are broken. I also explained how the door to my room was broken and would not close unless you lifted the handle and forced the door closed. They made a very half hearted attempt to fix the door but were unsuccessful. I have no confidence that the housekeeping staff did not enter the room when i was not present. Also on two separate occasions I came to the hotel to see that the "secure" entry door in the back of the building, was wedged open with a washcloth. The second time this occured there were 5 police cars in the parking lot of the hotel. I went to the front desk to explain that I would be checking out (at 2 A.M.) explaining that i felt unsafe in the hotel due to these issues and that I respectfully requested a refund for the one remaining day that I had paid for and the staff refused. I had also explained to the GM how the single room was sold out from under me and he said that he would look into it and get back to me, and I haven't yet heard back from him about that situation. I was finally able to speak to the GM about the safety concerns I raised and again asked for a refund of the ONE night i did not stay in the hotel, he again refused. When I began to explain to the general manager that quoting a "CASH" rate was illegal and told him that I would be reporting him to the IRS he called the police. I noticed on my check out receipt that they had fudged the numbers to make it look as though they charged tax. However when I checked In I was told what the cash rate was and what the 'other' rate as he would have to charge me tax if I used a credit card. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL it is unsafe and the staff is unconcerned with the well being or safety of their clients. I also called several times trying to find out the owner of this hotel, and they refused to give me any information so I could file a formal complaint. I gave them 1 star only becuase there is no option to give a zero.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jason F

Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Well you get for what you paid.. 4 min in car to Ocean Grove/ Asbury Park
Free breakfast was OK and served until 10am
Pool was clean good size for kids plenty of seats.
Bathroom renovated good size
Bed comfortable.

:( hallways uglies and stinky..
Too loud

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Limarie B
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This is by far the most sketchiest motel I have ever seen or been to. The rooms look like they've never been clean!!! I am not a picky person when it comes to sleeping in a room especially if its only for one night. I wanted to leave the second I stepped in there! My boyfriend and I had a "non smoking" room and let me tell you I got a headache the first minute I stepped through the door. Also nothing like having a strip joint at the motel entrance. STAY AWAY from this place!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Nl1234
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I am a water restoration and mold remediation tech. I stayed here during the clean up for sandy. It was good because it was the only motel I could find at first glance it seemed like a very nice place to stay until I walked into the room and the mold smell smacked me in the face I know it when I smell it and know what it looks like there is about 4 or 5 different places where there is mold in the bathroom and you can tell that all they do to try and get rid of it is wipe it down which obviously is not doing the trick.its in room 129 FYI but it was the only room available and I deal with it every day so I just ignored it . But on the 2nd morning when I was leave to go to work I tried to have my boss pay with a cc over the phone they said they need a formed filled out and faxed back but my boss did not have access to one so I asked the lady if she could do it by email she says yes but here boss is the only one who can do that and was not in but she can leave a message with him I asked her if I should pay in cash she said no I will take care of it. I then asked can I leave my stuff in the room or should I take it with me she said no its fine. So about 6 pm comes around and I get a text from my boss saying I did not receive the email so called them up and asked what happend th guys reply was you checked out I said what do you mean I checked out y would I leave my stuff there and keep the key if I did his reply checkout was @ 11 and he has my stuff @ the front office so said wait a min and fully explained what happend he put me on hold for 15 min then told me we are all booked so I went to pick up my things and it all looked like it was there but later when I checked my things I had two pair of underwear I know was in the bag that where missing so yes they stole my underwear. Not to mention because of the storm there wer no rooms available any where for weeks and I have had to sleep in my truck for three days because they couldn't do there job.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Regulater50
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We attended a wedding in a nearby Spring Lake Heights. The other “budget” hotels in the area were priced higher than the wonderful Radisson in Oslo, Norway, which we booked through hotels.com some 6 weeks prior. They looked very poorly on the photos, so Crystal Inn seemed like a good deal. The office welcomes you with a very strong stink of powerful air fresheners that attempt to conceal some other odors. We settled for a smoking room, as others were not available. It did not make much difference as the whole hotels smells of nicotine and dirt. The room was sprayed by some different flavor air -freshener that tried to kill other undesirable smells. Switch plates that one time were ivory-colored turned brown from dirt. I washed my hands every time I touched the doors or other items in the room. My daughter-in-law got trapped in the bathroom till we forced-opened the crooked door. It was the most expensive hotel, since we started our trip from Tampa Bay, Florida and had a value of 20% of the previous places, which we also booked through hotels.com. We cannot see how someone could rate it at 5. It sure beats the third-world slum hotels as it had shower heads, warm water and toilet seats. By those standards it was a five.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank MICHAELTAMPABAY
Reviewed 3 June 2010

Okay let me start out by saying im no 5 star hotel monger... I have stayed in some run of the mill holiday inn sort of places several times, but the Crystal Inn was probably the worst for cleanliness. When my boyfriend and I entered the lobby there was a young girl sitting at the front desk reading a magazine. When she realized finally we were there to check in she peeked over the counter with the most harsh stare possible as if WE were ruining her reading time. Her attitude was awful and converstation consisted of a couple "Mhhmm's" and "Nope's." (not very friendly or conversational to say the least) I called ahead and booked a non smoking room (me being a smoker I don't like to smoke inside nor do I like the smell on my bedding and such) and when we entered the room it reaked of stale cigarette smoke, almost as if the cleaning staff was smoking while they made the beds and cleaned the bathroom. We had to laugh because when we washed our hands after putting down all of our bags even the soap smelled of cigarette smoke, but I wasn't going to go back downstairs and complain to the 'ever so lovely' girl at the front desk so we just opened the sliding door and sprayed some perfume. Moving on... We checked the bedding for bed bugs and sorts and the good news was no creepy crawlies BUT to my demise the pillow cases were stained something horrible. I just threw the pillows on the floor and thankfully brought my own to sleep with. We sat down on the couch to relax and watch TV while using the provided table to sit and eat I lunged from my seat only to realize my butt was soaked. Yes I said soaked and for a split second I wanted to burst into tears thinking the worst, but thankfully it was only water (god I still hope I was right) on the couch cushion. There is a pool there so we came to the conclusion someone must have come back from the pool and took a seat with a wet bathing suit. Then again why wasn't the cleaning staff checking that sort of thing? Needless to say my apetite was ruined and I decided to jump in the shower to which I could hear just about everything that was being said in the next room. If you want some privacy this probably isn't the place for you, besides the loud drunks at night which I can deal with you can hear everyones converstation. Anyway... Im not an easily skeeved out person but this did it for me. Opt for something nicer, even if you do have to pay a few extra bucks it will be worth not feeling like your going home with fleas and roaches and a wet butt.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NikkiFreakinO
Reviewed 19 October 2008

I've been coming here for over a year, an have stayed all times of the year. I've never had a place that continiously goes out of their way to ensure confort and satisifaction. The staff are very helpful and friendly. Off all the places I stay at, I look forward to going to Crystal Inn in Neptune. The price is very good, and the bed is comfortable. The rooms are always clean, and fully stocked with all the aminities needed. I hope whoever stays there has the enjoyment I always get when I am there.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CallMeMurphy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Neptune
Red Roof Inn Neptune
#2 of 6 in Asbury Park
The Asbury Hotel
The Asbury Hotel
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to Crystal Inn? Share your experiences!