“OMG! So excellent!”
Review of Steakhouse 85

Steakhouse 85
Reserve with OpenTable
Steakhouse 85 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 201 Restaurants in New Brunswick
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: George Street
Transit: The restaurant is just a one minute walk from the New Brunswick stop on the NJ Transit Northeast Corridor line.
Description: Steakhouse 85 is a 21st century rendition of the classic American Steakhouse. The menu at Steakhouse 85 is comprised of fresh and inspiring modern day interpretations of classic American cuisine, served alongside the traditional steakhouse classics we all know and love. The back bone of our menu is without a doubt our beef. Our mouth watering dry aged steaks are rubbed with a simple yet luscious combination of sea salt, black pepper and fresh herbs. They are seared on a 1200 degree cast iron grill and then broiled to your liking. Paired with a large classically designed bar, complete with savvy cocktails and a Wine Spectator award winning wine list, this steakhouse is sure to please.
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I've walked by Steakhouse 85 several times, and from the outside it always appear a tad "stuffy" and a little bit "daunting" to me. I couldn't have been more off base! I recently went with 2 friends of mine, one of whom had been there several times. Our server was extremely friendly and even put up with us "newbies" gasping over the prices and taking photos of the steaks like a bunch of country rubes! We started with martinis which were very good, and ordered 2 appetizers for the 3 of us. ( Our apps were $9 each). The fried calamari was very good, but the warm fresh mozzarella wrapped in prosciutto and roasted tomatoes was to die for! The combination of flavors was incredible, and I highly recommend that you try this. Fresh bread with a side of both garlic oil and butter was also brought to the table. Going along with the "fish out of water" experience, we had the server bring over the sample tray of raw steaks and she gladly explained the differences between the cuts and the aging processes with us. We all ended up ordering the 12 oz filet mignon ($47 each), 2 with Steakhouse 85 sauce on the side, and our returning diner ordering his with blue cheese on top. We also shared 2 side orders ($5 each) of steamed spinach and Yukon mashed potatoes, as the server had advised us that they were large enough to serve "family style". My companions both ordered a glass of red wine with their meal which they said was very good. The steaks were seasoned and cooked to perfection! They were simply delicious! Service was incredibly good, as the apps and then entrees and sides came out quickly, our water glasses never ran empty, and our server checked back often to make sure everything was okay. We ordered after-dinner drinks instead of dessert, and were able to sit, sip and have great conversation, despite the place being packed. Our bill came to $273, but between the apps, the entrees,the sides and 8 drinks, it was well worth it. I will definitely be going back, as there are so many menu items that I want to taste!

1  Thank cpgz

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I had enjoyed the food, drink and good services. A bit costly but worth it. A well spread of food and beer choices

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I was in the mood for a steak and Steakhouse 85 did not disappoint. My petite fillet was cooked perfectly and beautifully seasoned. The couple my husband and I dined with had eaten here many times before and recommended it to us. The manager greeted us upon arrival and seated us in a booth away from the live jazz. (fortunately, because it was very loud) Our service was spot on, attentive but not intrusive. Food, especially the steaks were excellent. The whole menu looks good but if I were to go there again, I would do the "date night" special, $99 for two.... plenty of food, decent choices and a much more economical way to go since the restaurant is a bit pricy. Dessert was disappointing, the Bananas Foster was served in the wrong kind of dish, very little ice cream and sauce, mostly mashed bananas and whipped cream. Overall, great steaks, great service, a little loud and a little pricy.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went for my birthday. I enjoyed everything we tried. We had mussels and scallops for our appetizers, pan seared brussels sprouts with smoked bacon accompanied our steaks perfectly for our entree and delicious lemon gelato for dessert. Our service was wonderful. Our waitress was very informative about the menu. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Attended a business dinner here in the back room. Service was excellent as well as the food. Salad/appetizer choices were great as well as the desert options. They had a nice bar area, which seemed busy. The appetizers were served by the waiters which added a nice touch of elegance. The deserts were self serve and smaller portions, which is what we needed after a fantastic dinner.