“Solid after all these years”
Review of Stage Left

Stage Left
Reserve with OpenTable
Stage Left is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 198 Restaurants in New Brunswick
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: George Street
Transit: The restaurant is located a few minute walk from the New Brunswick train station, on the New Jersey Transit - Northeast Corridor line.
Princeton, New Jersey
“Solid after all these years”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stage Left used to be my go to place when I wanted a special meal out. But that was over 10 years ago. I stopped going when I started to hear about chef turnover and that aside from it's drinks and wine list, it had fallen a few rungs in quality. And it's a thirty minute drive from my home. When plans to go to another restaurant destination fell through this past weekend, I made a reservation at Stage Left. After all it was centrally located for all the folks we planned to get together with and had some good reviews. Boy, am I glad I did. I must say that the experience was among the best I've had in central New Jersey in a very long time. The place is nicely decorated, the tables are not crowded together, you can talk comfortably with your dinner companions without raising your voice and you can read the menu and see what's on your plate without supplemental lighting. The service was generally good, but there was a blip -- we waited 20-25 minutes for an Irish coffee. However, realizing that there had been a problem, the drink was comped. The food was sublime. From the mushroom soup, through the quail with foie gras infused lentils (sounds over the top, but very tasty), the flatiron steak served on a hot block of salt (sounds gimicky, but tasty it was), the interesting assortment of cheeses offered before dessert and on through the sticky toffee cake, it was a memorable experience. I dined with foodies and nary a negative word was heard. Believe me, it won't be years before I return. Actually, I'm checking my calendar right now....

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank GSM1111

Somerset, New Jersey
“Bad cuisine, poor customer service, good decor and ingredients”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My wife and I decided to have dinner at Stage Left, it had a good reputation and it was next door to the State Theater where we were attending a show.
Two years ago I had a bad experience, I ordered an expensive wild Alaskan salmon and received an overcooked salmon with no flavor or texture.
I decided to give it a second chance. The ambience is good, they have a good size room with a fireplace and it’s not too loud, you can have a good conversation.
After looking at the menu I asked if they would recommend the Scottish Salmon or the NY strip steak, the curt response was “well the Salmon is a fish, it’s light. The steak is… a steak”. This didn’t help me but I went for the steak and I ordered a medium rare NY strip.
They brought me a steak that was seared and completely uncooked. I asked if they could please cook it a little more to reach medium rare not rare, they came back in a couple of minutes with the same level of doneness, they just seared where I cut the steak.
I politely remarked that and asked to make it medium at that point. They came back with the steak burnt on the outside with no change in the inside. One of the waiter made me notice that in high end restaurant that’s what is considered “medium rare”. He said in a manner as if I have never been in a nice restaurant and it was my fault.
I am a pretty good cook myself, a food enthusiast and I ate in several high end restaurants across the country and internationally, blaming the customer for a self-evident bad meal was not a winning point.
The conclusion: good décor, good quality ingredients, bad cuisine, poor customer care. High prices for an overall mediocre dining experience.

• Visited February 2014
New York City, New York
“Excellent Food, Great Service, Pleasant Atmosphere”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We happened upon the Stage Left Restaurant at 5 Livingston Ave, New Brunswick, NJ because we were going to the theatre next door. We had no reservation and less than an hour before the start of the show but we managed to get served a delicious meal with great service. It's pricy but very good.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Alexander M
Galloway, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We came here tonight after reading the positive reviews for the burgers.”
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We came here tonight after reading the positive reviews for the burgers. We walked down from the Hyatt. It was very cold and we brought in our red cups. The hostess immediately gave major attitude. She tried to sit us right next to the door but we asked to be moved. As soon as they found out we were only ordering burgers we were treated like pond scum. Loved the burger will NOT go back though.

Boston, Massachusetts
“WOW Good”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Went to the restaurant and sat at a table in the bar area. I knew it would be solid because the Zagat rating of 27 for food hung on the wall. I had no idea, however, that it would be this good. Ordered a burger on a plate and a side that was perfect. If all burgers were this great, steak would be eliminated from the earth. I am serious. It was that good. Please go and see for yourself. Called my wife mid meal because i needed to tell someone. Did I mention how great it was...

• Visited January 2014