“Yummy food, strong atmosphere, understaffed”
Review of Hotoke Restaurant

Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bayard Street
Description: An eclectic Contemporary-Asian dining experience, specializing in sushi and creative cocktail mixing; featuring a lava stone bar, relaxing lounge, and sushi bar. Happy Hour : Monday- Friday from 4:00 -7:00pm. Sushi special: American and Traditional rolls for half price.
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We went here for an early Friday evening book club. We sat in the lounge area because you needed to to get the happy hour specials. We went at 5:15 on a Friday night and it quickly filled as we stayed for almost 2 hours. There is an active bar/lounge area with lots of college students and people in their 20s. The restaurant is quieter but still dark and with the same lounge atmosphere. The waitresses and hosts all wear a traditional Japanese dress.

The happy hour special was perfect for us: 1/2 price martinis and 1/2 price on the (cheaper) sushi. I didn't drink but my friends loved their martinis. We did get lots of sushi, all of which was good and fresh. Between the three of us, we enjoyed an eel roll, California roll, avocado roll, Philly roll, vegetable roll, and spicy tuna roll. They were all great and perfect. I only wish they would have offered the more expensive, fancy rolls at half price also. Since nothing else was half price, we didn't get anything else. I believe the happy hour is 5-7.

Our only complaint was that there seemed to be a single waitress for the entire lounge (easily 25 people at a variety of kinds of tables and areas). We felt terrible for her because she was clearly overwhelmed and was trying her best. We saw her literally run from table to table and she was constantly moving. She was absolutely doing all she could and yet we waited very long times in between our food, asking for more, and getting drink refills. They definitely needed more people working.

Otherwise, everything was good and the food was delicious and fairly priced for happy hour. I would definitely go back for happy hour and hope that they had more waitresses! Also, they were great about separating our checks.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Hotoke offers a full sushi bar, asian inspired appetizers and main courses and excellent cocktails.
This is the 3rd or 4th time we have been there and while I have enjoyed some dishes more than others, the food is usually well prepared and delicious. We enjoy seaweed salad when we have sushi and if you like it, you may want to try Hotoke's version. It has seaweed, but also shaved cabbage, carrots, sesame seeds and an interesting dressing. I think it is far above the usual bright green seaweed sale with cucumber or lettuce that I have tried in the past. Another member of our party had the ginger roasted chicken salad with walnuts and was very happy. As it happened everyone at our table ordered the filet mignon and no one was disappointed. Each was cooked as requested and the filets where tender and tasty. The only suggestion I would have is the onion rings (they come on top of the steak) could use less breading, they where too heavy for me. Finally I would mention the decor of this restaurant is quite lovely, the very large Buddha is amazing You should be aware that when the restaurant is full it can also be very loud.

Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Went here this past weekend and simply was amazed. Never been a fan of sushi but decided to try it since my girlfriend wanted to try it for the first time. IT WAS AMAZING, we had the California rolls and the shrimp tempora rolls. The sushi its self filled is up. We also ordered calamari, but it wasnt anything to right home about. For the entrée I had the rack of lamb and my girlfriend went with the shrimp fried rice, we figured we'd share the lamb instead of buying to entrées, well worth it since they were very generous with what they put on the plate. Overall this place seems to be a go to night spot since its lounge as well. The drinks are on point, as well as the food. Would definitely recommend for anyone to experience this place.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is a lovely place, in terms of ambiance. They offer a great deal at happy hour- all drinks are half price and there is a nice selection of sushi that is also half price.,

1  Thank Dovina L
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This restaurant has a great bar "scene" for after work, girls' night out, a quick drink--you name it. The restaurant, meanwhile, is serene and upscale. Waitstaff are attentive and friendly, while retaining the proper formality. The food is terrific for vegetarians and carnivores alike. Every dish has a special twist--this is not your usual neighborhood sushi joint.