“Great for business”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in New Brunswick
Driffield, United Kingdom
“Great for business”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The check in process was simple and my room was of a good standard; clean, spacious and very comfortable.

All of the meals I had, whether breakfast,evening or dinner were excellent. There was plenty of choice and meal times and the conference spaces were well stocks with hot and cold drinks and snacks.

The gym is utterly inadequate. There are only 6 pieces of CV equipment, which is sinmply not enough for a business hotel, where guests are likely to be using the gym prior to the start of the working day. The pool is adjacent to the gym, so the air conditioning struggles to maintain an appropriate temperature and humidity.

The hotel is located in New Brunswick, with lots of Rutgers University student facilities around. Not exactly a holiday destination, but perfectly adequate for business.

All the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Victor_R_08901, Front Office Manager at The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
We appreciate your kind comments about the Heldrich Hotel's food offerings and a convenient business location on Trip Advisor. We also agree with your constructive comments about the Fitness Center. You may be happy to know that our Fitness Center was remodeled since your last visit. We replaced flooring and also updated all the equipment. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I found The Heldrich while searching for a stopover mid-way between Richmond, VA and Providence, RI. I checked the Bed Bug Registry and found there had been no incidences, so it seemed like a great place for the price ($99)!

I had to make a few phone calls prior to our arrival and the front desk staff was courteous, helpful and followed up with me unexpectedly to ensure my satisfaction. We arrived late, but check-in was really easy, and we were greeted by the doorman, who was friendly and conversational and very accommodating, unloading our care and bringing the luggage cart up to the room. We were more than happy to have the extra set of hands. The valet parked our car. The Heldrich is a gorgeous, new-looking, boutique hotel with comfortable furniture in the lobby and beautiful art work.

The room was small, but clean and modern looking and the pack n' play we requested was in the room, ready for our baby. The beds were comfortable and the curtains completely blocked the lights from the city. The bathroom was sufficient for our needs and it was clean. Also, our view was of a rooftop below our floor, so if you want to look out on downtown, you may need to make a special request.

For runners, the streets had sidewalks and the hotel appeared to be centrally located downtown, with a grid-like layout, therefore, easy to find if you took a wrong turn!

We noticed when we arrived that there appeared to be active nightlife nearby. And, we went for a walk in the morning and found some restaurants for breakfast. Unfortunately, we found the hotel's restaurant to be too expensive for breakfast (breakfast entree's were in the $11-$13 range, with few provisions for kids). Even still, the customer service at the hotel restaurant was excellent, when I went in and requested warm water for a bottle, they happily obliged.

Upon check-out, the doorman volunteered to help load our car while we settled the kids and, because it is located right near Interstate 95, we were back on the highway in minutes.

We'd definitely stay at The Heldrich again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
We very much appreciate your kind comments about the staff and the location of the Heldrich Hotel on Trip Advisor. Our Fitness Center has been remodeled and all the guest rooms are now updated with HDTVs. We hope to accommodate you at the Heldrich soon! Thank you!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I've been using The Heldrich Hotel for many months as my "go to" lodging for the business i do in the New Brunswick, NJ area. In comparison to other "Big Name" hotels, this the Benchmark Hospitality International group of U.S. hotels and resorts.

I find the Heldrich to be very relaxed with outstanding staff and genuine caring for my well being, comfort and satisfaction.

There are a couple of things to be aware of in staying at the Heldrich.
I don't believe there is a rewards program, such as stay points that most hotel franchises have.
Hotel valet parking is currently $25 per day.
Rooms do not have LCD or better TV screens - they are tube!

Other that than, the hotel decor and amenities are great. The business center meets my needs for printing, etc. The lounge is a great mixture between sports and quiet quaintness.
Christopher's Restaurant is also very good with a great breakfast buffet and menu.

The Heldrich is in the heart of New Brunswick, NJ including the Theater District, multiple restaurants and pubs, making walking a definate choice for destinations.

I will stay at the Heldrich again when my travel to the New Brunswick, NJ area calls.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East, North and West sides have city views. Others on the inside wings look into the h...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
We appreciate your kind comments about the Heldrich Hotel on Trip Advisor and are grateful for your loyal patronage. All our guest rooms are now updated with brand new HDTV's and the Fitness Center has been completely remodeled with state of the art equipment. We look forward to your next visit! Thank you!
North Carolina
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. Very nice and helpful staff. Room were spacious and clean. My room did have an old school tube tv. No problem though, it worked just fine. This hotel is excellent for training classes. I was here for a 3 day training class and the accomondations were excellent. Very comfortable seating and classrooms. The amount of food and drinks they provide during the day is unbelieveable! What a fantasitc assortment for breakfast and lunch. I hope to have more training classes or conferences at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
We very much appreciate your kind comments about the facilities, the food and the staff of the Heldrich Hotel. We would like you to know that our Fitness Center has been remodeled with new equipment also added and all our guest rooms now have brand new HDTVs. We look forward to accommodating you at the Heldrich soon again! Thank you!
Chicago
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I attended a conference held here in Sept 2013 and stayed 2 nights.

Right after getting to the room, I noticed that the bathroom sink was a bit backed up, and someone had begun fixing it (but hadn't finished) because the rod that connects the pull thing to the drain plug was missing. I asked the front desk whether they could please send someone to fix it. She offered IMMEDIATELY but I said after 9:30 please. NOT before, please. She said OK.

I left the room at 9:30 am and stopped back in at noon, and the sink was fixed. Nice.

The front desk folks were also very helpful when I needed to find somewhere to print my handouts for the conference. They had the hotel shuttle drive my co-presenter to Staples. So I won't complain too much about the fact that (1) the kid got totally lost and after 30 minutes took her back to the hotel in the hopes that another driver would have better luck, but then (2) the next driver announces after 10 minutes, "We have to go back to the hotel because I'm almost out of gas." She said I'll pay for the gas, please just get me to Staples and back before the dang conference ends.

The facilities for conference on the 2nd floor were excellent: comfortable chairs, lots of public spaces to sit, great food service area that kept cold beverages on ice. I admit it was a bit distracting on Saturday afternoon when Justin's bar mitzvah music competed with one of the talks. But I like bar mitzvah music, so I wasn't as annoyed as some of my colleagues, who were only slightly amused when I started dancing the hora.

The buffet lunch in the hotel restaurant "Christopher" was REALLY good: salmon, chicken, grilled artichoke & other veggies, lots of pasta. And the food, drinks, and service in the hotel bar were equally as good. I should have gotten the bartender's name - he was friendly and gave great service. The flatbread and the tuna tartare were EXCELLENT, and the wine selection was nice.

All in all, a very pleasant experience. Would totally stay here again if I have to go back to New Brunswick.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
We appreciate your kind comments about the staff, the food and the facilities of the Heldrich Hotel. Our Fitness Center has been remodeled and updated with new equipment and our guest rooms are now equipped with brand new HDTVs. We hope to have the privilege of accommodating you again soon! Thank you!
Cupar, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed here for two nights this week on a very short business trip to NJ. This is a beautiful hotel, the lobby is just lovely, the staff are friendly and the room more than comfortable. I had dinner here too and I highly recommend the pulled pork sandwich YUMM! This would also be a good hotel for couples.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Emma M
We appreciate your kind comments about the staff, the facilities and the location of the Heldrich Hotel. You may want to know that our Fitness Center has been completely remodeled and updated with new equipment and our all our guest rooms are now equipped with brand new HDTVs. We hope to see you back again soon! Thank you.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 17 September 2013

A Night at The Heldrich

My wife and I were in New Brunswick, NJ Sunday September 15th to see comedian Sinbad in concert at The State Theatre across the street. We decided to spend the night instead of taking New Jersey Transit back home late at night.

We arrived Sunday afternoon with a 4 PM check-in. The Heldrich provides a complimentary shuttle service between the New Brunswick train station and the hotel. You just have to call the front desk upon arrival. The hotel is also a 5 to 10 minute walk away.

The front desk staff, the shuttle driver and everyone else we met were so nice and accommodating. The hotel sits behind a beautiful town square, with a monument in the middle, as well as a distance sign pointing the way to New Brunswick’s sister cities around the world.

The lobby and public areas are beautiful, with unique pieces of art displayed. The hotel staff members are dressed in art-deco era uniforms that add a touch of bygone elegance.

We were in room 620, just off the elevators. The room overlooks the front of the hotel and the town square. Next to the elevators, behind a closed door, is the vending room with snack and soda machines as well as the ice machine.

The room was good-sized and very clean. The room did not have a closet. Instead there is a large wall unit with closet and drawer space that surround the standard definition television (vintage late 1990’s/early 2000’s TV). DirecTV provides over-the-air and cable channels. Free WiFi is offered in the room.

We had a queen-sized bed that was very comfortable. A chair and ottoman were near the window. Closer to the door is a table with a coffee maker. There was no refrigerator in the room.

There were signs of wear and tear in the room, especially on the wood surfaces (the room desk and the wood border around the bathroom mirror). Also, the towel bar in the shower was missing the bar! The rooms could use better lighting as well.

They also place a $50 hold on your credit card for incidentals. Of course many hotels do that, so not a complaint, just a FYI.

Christopher’s Restaurant and Lounge are in the lobby. They are expensive, so we did not eat there. There are scores of affordable places to eat nearby.

Despite the negatives listed above, I really liked The Heldrich. The hotel was quiet, clean and the staff was friendly. I would stay here again. If they give the rooms an upgrade, I would not hesitate to rate the hotel 5 stars!

Room Tip: Ask for a Deluxe room if you want a view of the front of the hotel. They cost a little more than the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the kind comments about the Heldrich Hotel. We very much appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Brunswick
Hampton Inn North Brunswick/New Brunswick
Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Tower Center New Brunswick
Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center

Been to The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!