The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in New Brunswick
Boulder
“Dirty”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This hotel looks like it should be a four seasons, but it's very dirty. The bathroom has good counter space, but there were genital hairs on the floor that obviously weren't mine. The floor of the shower is stained and looks gross, so I stood on a towel. And, the shower didn't even have any surface for me to put the soap, so I had to exit the shower to put the soap on the counter.

The carpet was stained with blood? Red wine? There was dust on every surface other than countertops. And, there are no light switches, so I had to walk around the room to 5 different lamps to turn the lights on. The lamps didn't even have outlets on them, so I had to crawl under the desk to plug my phone in.

This place could be a nice hotel with some good management. They are way behind on maintenance and whoever is doing the room inspections should be taught how to do a proper room inspection. It seems like it is run by people that have never run a hotel before.

I can give good feedback on the bed, which was very comfortable and did not feel lopsided or worn. But, the sheet was stained, so I questioned the cleanliness of the bedding. And the throw-pillow....yuck. Why would you have a throw-pillow on a hotel bed?

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HungryClimber
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
I would like to thank you for writing about your recent experience at The Heldrich. I would like to apologize for the conditions that your room was in, it was not up to your or our standards. I have discussed the room conditions with my staff and can assure you they will be corrected. We pride ourselves in making everyone’s stay a most enjoyable and we certainly did not do that here. Please accept my apologies and I hope that you do give us another try so we can show you a great experience. Please contact me directly when you are coming back to the area. Thank you Victor Rodriguez, Director of Rooms.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

I stay at the heldrich with my family during christmas season, the hotel is in a good shape, it is also in a safe area, about 5 blocks to the train station.
They have a shutle van but they never offer a ride to us.I think because we are hispanic, there was a heavy rain one day and the people at the front desk not even said any greeting to us as allwas during my 6 day staid. They just look at us as we were diferent, my wife and my kids had to wait in the lobby and I ran to a convenience store about two blocks to buy umbrellas, when I came back( all soacked wet) they jus look at us but didnt said nothing about a ride on the van but I noticed that other guests were waiting for a ride on the shuttle. Only a couple of times we were greet by two workers.
I work in the hospitality industry and the management is allways on top of custumer service (look at the guest w/smile, greet the guest, say hello do something to make the guest feel wellcome)
Also they charge $50 dollars 6 times for incidental charge when they were supposed to charge this fee only one time,we got this money back but I think it was offensive.
We enjoy every day trip to new york but memories are for ever and the heldrich made us fell unwellcome.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank impala76
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about our recent experience. I am sorry you felt you were not treated right by the staff. It seems that our service levels did not meet yours and our standard. Our staff is here to help everyone and in this case we did not do that. I do not believe that we did not want to offer you a ride but that the van was reserved by a group. I apologize that you had to leave to get umbrellas and get wet. As for the $50 incidentals charges it is customary when a guest arrives to leave a deposit for any room incidentals, I will speak to the staff if this was not explained during your check-in process. I have sent you an e-mail thru Trip Advisor with my office number so we could discuss this in more detail. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and again I apologize if you felt disrespected in anyway. Victor Rodriguez, Director of Rooms.
New York
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

2nd time here. Comfortable clean and modern. Rooms are very nice. Beds are very good. The bar is good too. Modern and good selection.

Gym is small but suitable.

Only issue is the food. It's 2 plus stars at best. Had issues last time we were here and they obviously have not been addressed. A shame. Would have been 5 stars if they brought a decent chef in.

Maybe someone in management there will finally listen.

All that being said would stay again. Just make sure to eat elsewhere.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank nycadman
Victor_R_08901, Front Office Manager at The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
We appreciate your comments about the Heldrich hotel. It is comments like yours that assist us in further enhancing our guest service. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Meriden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed here when attending a conference at Rutgers Uinversity. The hotel reception staff were welcoming and helpful with directions and ordering taxis, the room was clean. We didn't eat in the restaurant apart from one night when we had the formal conference dinner there, during which the service was good with a friendly waiter. I was expecting a parcel to arrive so was surprised when I was given someone elses package - we had the same first name but I couldn't understand such a basic error.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Victor_R_08901, Front Office Manager at The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
We appreciate your kind comments about the Heldrich hotel. We also regret there was a mix up with your package delivery and investigated it to make sure this won't happen again. We look forward to your next visit! Thank you!
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We came here for a weekend with our family. We rented a few rooms plus a conference room. for some reason they decided to split us up & put us on different floors & refused to give us extra table & chairs so we had to bring our own. The hotel is actually very nice rooms are pretty decent.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about the Heldrich. Guest comments such as yours assist us in further improving our facilities and services. Our goal is to exceed all of our guests' expectations. We look forward to accommodating you again in the near future! Thank you!
Saddle River, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 December 2013

When we checked in, we were not told where the elevators were so we had to search for them. We felt stupid when we were told that they were to the right of the registration desk (in what looks like a hallway).

If you go on line and prepay for your hotel stay, there is a tremendous discount. Including taxes, it cost less than $90 for a one night stay (not including parking). The rooms are large although our room did not have a view. The negative about this hotel is the housekeeping staff. On Sunday morning about 9:30 AM, there was a knock on the door. Housekeeping wanted to straighten the room. We were just getting dressed and told them later. Five minutes later, housekeeping walked into the room (without knocking). Obviously we told them, "later".

Several questions arise. 1) We were checking out so why were they trying to straighten the room before check out? 2) There was no "Do Not Disturb" sign for us to hang on the door so that this would not have happened.

We had brunch in the restaurant. It was quite extensive although the smoked salmon was not replenished while we were there. (Maybe it was replenished after we left)?

Parking is additional and it is not cheap. It was $25 for valet parking and $17 for self parking.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about the Heldrich. We regret that we fell short of your expectations. The appropriate department managers are counseling their respective staff reports to improve the service in those areas where deficiencies occurred. We look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to New Brunswick! Thank you!
Robbinsville, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 December 2013

New Brunswick isn't far from me, but my boyfriend and I spent the weekend here so we could get away for a little.... We loved it! Friendly staff and amazing spa! The room was modern and clean. We didn't get a chance to eat at Christopher's... Maybe next time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Molly R
Victor_R_08901, Front Office Manager at The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Molly, we appreciate you taking the time to review the Heldrich Hotel on Trip Advisor. Your kind comments about our accommodations are also very much appreciated. Christopher's Restaurant and Bar offers fine dining at a reasonable prize and we hope you will have the opportunity to sample some of our culinary delights on your next visit. Thank you and Happy Holidays!
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Brunswick
Hampton Inn North Brunswick/New Brunswick
Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Tower Center New Brunswick
Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center

Been to The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!