“First Class”

The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in New Brunswick
“First Class”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I haven't spent time in New Brunswick since college. And didn't expect much for downtown. What a pleasant surprise. The Hotel was lovely, from the lobby to the halls to the restaurant, everything was modern, clean and first rate. The room was equal to most I have stayed I and the rate was unbelievably low. Staff couldn't have been nicer. What a bargain, what comfort.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Henry S, Front Office Manager at The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
We are very thankful for your kind review about our property. It is nice to hear that you found all of our facilities clean and up to high standard. We also appreciate your positive comments about our hotel team and a favorable appraisal of our rates and the good value a stay at the Heldrich represents. We look forward to welcome you back again soon! Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was my second time in 4 months that I stayed at the Heldrich this year. The folks at the front desk even remembered me! Check-in was quick, friendly, and efficient by Jacky. Both times the room was great. When I had some issues with the room, the front desk had housekeeping deal with it immediately.
We were fortunate to check-in early with no problem.
Yes, parking for valet parking is costly, but well worth the convenience. The "Bell Hop", Alex, was outstanding and very helpful with luggage always having a pleasant greeting and smile.
I certainl would return there again!

Room Tip: Ask for any specials on rooms. King Deluxe was quite spacious .
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JRZEGIRL2011
We appreciate your nice review on the Trip Advisor and that you found our staff and accommodations so much to your liking. In particular we appreciate your recognition of Jacky, Alex and our Front Desk team in general regarding their high hospitality standards and ability to quickly resolve issues. We hope to have the pleasure of accommodating you at the Heldrich soon again. Thank you.
LaVale, Maryland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Luxury @ It's Finest! I Would Highly Recommend This Hotel & Will Stay Again! Immaculate Condition Inside & Out! Friendly, Knowledgeable Staff! Dinner Was Amazing! You Must Try The Hotel's Christopher's Bar & Restaurant's Delicious Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese! Stunning Décor! Located In Safe, Business Area!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VdubTraveler
We very much appreciate your kind review about our hotel on the Trip Advisor and are pleased that you found our Heldrich team, the rooms, restaurant and the bar consistent with our high standards. We hope you will return to stay with us soon again and treat yourself to that pulled pork cheese sandwich you liked so much. Thank you!
York
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Finding a place to park wasn't the easiest. I wasn't aware at the time that you had to park in the garage behind the hotel and walk but the valet men were more than helpful to assist. Was $20 for 24 hrs or $25 for valet for $24 with free in and out access. Check in was a breeze and everyone was pleasant. Out room was great and spacious (luxury king guest room). We had a few issues, the air conditioning seemed to not work too well I was constantly warm, the nozzle in the shower kept falling off, the towel rack fell off, the walls were dirty with marks and dirt, and you could hear everything from the hallway. Nothing major that affected our stay though. Any questions we had were answered promptly! We had never been to NJ before and they were great at recommending local places. Everyone was friendly. The hotel sits at the end of a small restaurant and shop strip so it was nice to take a short stroll through. I highly recommend this hotel, we had a wonderful time.

We were attending the annual Waterfest show at Raceway park in Englishtown - for anyone who is looking, it's only a 25 min drive and vendors stay at this hotel as well.

• Stayed July 2014
We are grateful for your kind review on the Trip Advisor and are happy that our team's hospitality standards met your expectations. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you.
Enfield, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I booked this hotel as part of a package with a show at the State Theater. It included a luxury king room. When we checked in we were give a room with 2 doubles. Having booked it a while ago and having just driven through New York from Maine (and from NS the day before that) with a GPS that kept turning off at the wrong moment (now replaced), I was stressed and couldn't remember what the reservation said, but knew it didn't sound right. When we got to our room (which was also a little ordeal as parking is not convenient unless you use the valet service for $25) I checked the paper I had printed off and called the front desk. At first they referred to having booked it through "Expedia or something" and it just comes through and then they assign the room, (I was a little annoyed at that). I then informed them that it was booked through a package deal that they have with the State Theater (they did not seem knowledgeable about that at all) and the reservation included a King room and the tickets to the show. The person at the desk said he would investigated.5-10 min later, a knock was at the door and we were moved to a king room. The employee was very friendly and patient as we gathered our stuff and helped us move to the new room. I offered to show him the confirmation paper with our reservation on it, but he said he trusted us and it was ok. He greeted us with a smile when we checked out the next day. The beds were comfortable and the room quiet.

Room Tip: The king room was definitely more spacious and had a better layout than the double and was father fr...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eileencrane
We appreciate your kind comments about the hospitality of our staff and how quickly they were able to resolve a rooming issue to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcome you back again in the near future. Thank you.
Rehovot
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Heldrich for two nights in June 2014. Unfortunately, our check-in experience was less than satisfactory. Although the official check-in time is 4 pm, we arrived earlier in the afternoon and were hoping that we would be able to get a room then. The male clerk seemed to be surly and lectured to us that check-in time was not until 4 pm. He did look to see if anything (we had requested a lower floor) was available - nothing was. He recorded the number of my mobile phone and said that he would call as soon as a room was available. He never called.

Perhaps contributing to our less-than-satisfactory check-in was that the clerk advised us that a mini-fridge that we had requested almost three months prior, when making the reservation, would not be forthcoming. I do understand that the hotel does not have a fridge for each room, but three months in advance, followed up by a confirmation telephone request, indicating that the fridge was needed to hold some medicine, should go a long way, not just the short end.

Anyway, a couple of hours later (before 4 pm), we got our room, Room 320. We took a king instead of the two doubles that we had reserved to enable us to get to a room without additional delay. Incidentally, after being in our room for a while, we got a call from the reception desk (at 4:30 pm) notifying us that our room was ready! How's that for efficiency!

Room 320 is a corner room, with a beautiful view of downtown new Brunswick. The bed was comfortable, as were the pillows. There was a flat-screen TV,a desk and chair, an arm chair and a safe. our room was opposite the ice-machine room, so we purchased a styrofoam chest at a nearby pharmacy for $5; thus a savings of $45. Breakfast is not provided. The room had a coffee maker with instant coffee packets.

If you have an auto, there is adequate on-the-street metered parking, from 8 am to 4 pm, Monday-Friday. Daily self-parking at the hotel is $20.

At the entrance to the hotel, in front of the restaurant which is in the hotel, is a lovely sitting area with tables and chairs (provided by The Heldrich}. The theater district is just across the street from the hotel

Room Tip: Get a corner room if possible.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ira G
We appreciate the time you took to rate our property on the Trip Advisor. We are happy that you found our hotel comfortable and convenient. We do regret that the check-in process/service fell below your expectations and are following up with the staff on duty that day. We hope to have the pleasure of accommodating you again in the near future. Thank you.
New York
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I recently stated at the Heldrich for a 6 day conference. My experience was positive from the beginning of my stay to the end. The accommodations were satisfactory, the location allowed me to walk around town. The food was very good and varied enough to satisfy me for all meals throughout my stay. The hotel vibe enhanced the conference and I checked out feeling rested and although a business trip, the accommodations allowed me a mini vacation.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank SerenityNY
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your recent review of The Heldrich. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I will pass along the great comments about your meeting and your accommodations with us. We do hope to see you soon. Thank you again for your great review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Brunswick
Hampton Inn North Brunswick/New Brunswick
Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Tower Center New Brunswick
Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center

Been to The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!