“Absolutely Terrible”

Hyatt Regency New Brunswick
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in New Brunswick
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We recently booked a conference room for a four person meeting. The price was $350, but then they add 22% gratuity (to a meeting room)! I had assumed that internet would be included, but we were shell shocked to discover they would charge another $20/person, with an additional 22% gratuity (on internet). To make matters worse, we had to pay $20 (and of course we were never told of this charge either) to get a power bar so that all four of us could plug in laptops simultaneously. And another 22% gratuity for the power bar... I think y'all know where this is going. Then, we paid $80 for coffee, and our coffee machine leaked (so much for the 22% gratuity), and the conference room lights started to flicker near the end of the day.

I always stay at Marriott, and based on this awful experience I would not recommend the Hyatt to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Soly44

Reviewed 5 October 2013

We prepaid for a king room and when we got here all they had was 2 doubles! When you prepay for a room the type of room you paid for should be waiting for you when you arrive-no matter what time you arrive! We always try to stay at Hyatt since we are Gold Passport members and own 2 weeks at their vacation clubs. This truly a disappointing experience. The room could use a little updating, knobs are missing from the furniture and some veneer has peeled away.

Room Tip: Don't expect to get the room you paid for!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peabody51
Reviewed 5 October 2013

For an anniversary weekend, my s.o. and I decided to get away for the night and just do something different. We made reservations at our favorite restaurant in town and decided to extend the night and not worry about driving home after having some drinks so we made reservations at the hotel. The price was a bit higher than expected for a hotel in New Brunswick but it was a Hyatt Regency so I felt that justified the price, plus we had the parking garage paid for which would have been over $10 if it was not part of our hotel "deal." The lobby is beautiful and there's a nice bar/restaurant right off the lobby. We got drinks at the bar after dinner and enjoyed the experience and the friendly bartender. Our room was very bright and clean with a very comfortable bed but was rather small and the bathroom was not appointed very well. It only had hand soap and no shampoo, conditioner, or any other toiletries that are pretty much standard in hotels, particularly in nicer hotels. This could have been an oversite by the housekeeping staff and might not be the norm for the hotels but since I always bring my own shampoo etc. I didn't have a need to call down to have this addressed.

I just felt that overall for a Hyatt Regency and the price I paid that the hotel rooms could have been a bit nicer and bigger and the bathrooms better appointed. There was nothing wrong with the hotel or rooms but it seemed like it was lacking something. Since we live fairly close we probably won't be coming here again to begin with but I was a bit disappointed anyways.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I came to the hyatt for a conference. I actually didn't stay overnight at the hyatt, although i did experience the rooms.
I entered the hotel and was approached by a hotel worker asking if he could store my bags or help me carry my wheeled tote bag. I declined, but he offered several times through out day. I was in need of a place to pump breastmilk for the day and Nisha kindly set me up in a hotel room where I had privacy, access to an outlet and sink. I was also given free internet access and ability to watch tv, which if you pump you understand makes it more bearable. I didn't have to beg or explain too much, she just freely offered this as my option. I am so grateful for kindness in a world where breastfeeding is still not widly accepted.
As for the conference food, continental breakfast was high quality with adorble little glass containers for jelly and honey which i wanted so badly to take home, but didnt. Lunch options were surprisingly affordable at $6 for an overflowing sandwich.
I am so glad the NJAEA switched to having the conference at this hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I am becoming a large fan of Hyatt Regency's, they really offer a quality room, and this was no different.

Good location with a lot of places in walking distant and close to businesses if your business takes you to New Brunswick.

The room I had was pretty sizable, good workspace and room to move around. The bathroom also was nicely outfitted. One complaint of the room...spring for some HD...it's annoying to have a 42' tv in standard def.

The workout area was nice as well...well equipped. There is a parking garage attached, which is easy to get in and out of. They offer valet, but when I first arrived and got out of my car to see about it, nobody came for 5 minutes so I parked myself. It's a very busy place...lots of conferences, so keep that in mind.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2013

i got a room for a very low price on one of the "bid for your room sites" and i really got my money's worth. it's not super fancy at all but very nice. rooms were clean, parking was $13 a day. staff was very nice, especially Joan at the front desk. Super accommodating for parents traveling with a baby. decent clean pool and nice public areas.
i wasn't exactly blown away but i have nothing negative to say about the place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This hotel is well located in New Brunswick. Rooms are well appointed, clean and quiet. There is a good place to walk along the river and plenty of restaurants in the area. The area appears to be safe.The Train station is just 3 blocks away, and then a 30 minute ride to the Newark airport. Check in was quick and efficient. The restaurant in the hotel is good. If you are in the area, this is a good hotel to consider.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Brunswick
The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center
Hilton East Brunswick Hotel & Executive Meeting Center
Hampton Inn North Brunswick/New Brunswick
Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Tower Center New Brunswick
Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset

Been to Hyatt Regency New Brunswick? Share your experiences!