“nice hotel”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was in Newark for a meeting, and usually stay at the host hotel. They were closed, so I made a reservation at the Howard Johnson, it was about a half mile away. It is an older hotel, but well kept, very comfortable rooms, refrigerator and microwave in each room. Their restaurant is great, nice people, with very good food, reasonable prices. I certainly would recommend this hotel, and will stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Hello Carol C,

Thank you for your time to write a review in regards to your recent stay at our hotel. It was a
pleasure to have you as a guest since we enjoyed your company and time here at the hotel.

The cleanliness of our rooms, the daily shuttle service to and from Newark Airport, and Ambrosia restaurant are the major factors of the hotel and our hospitality that we are continuously improving daily for our valuable guests like you. I want to thank you for your time in writing a review behalf your recent stay.

We hope to see you again soon at our hotel as we appreciate your comments very much.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Price. We get what we pay for. A room for $65-75/night by the airport is not going to be a 5-star resort. There are plenty of other options available in the area but my guess is many of the negative reviewers here, like me, didn't want to pay $200-300/night to sleep by the airport in Newark. It always amazes me that they'll flock to a hotel like this for the price and then leave a horrible review.
This was my 3rd time staying here. I only stay during the day on my long lay overs between Honolulu and Sao Paulo. For me the hotel, although showing its age and lacking "luxury" amenities, is perfect. I've always found the staff to be pleasant and courteous. They have a complimentary shuttle to the airport which is punctual. There is a restaurant in the hotel with room services. The bathrooms are clean even if a little dated. The wi-fi works. What are people complaining about? I just don't get it. Overall, based on the price, I give this HoJo 4 stars.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Hello Hale K,

The spaciousness and cleanliness of our rooms, the shuttle service to and from Newark International Airport, and Ambrosia restaurant are the major factors of the hotel and our hospitality that we are continuously improving daily for our valuable guests like you. I want to thank you for your time in writing a review behalf your recent stay.

We hope to see you again soon at our hotel because we appreciate your comments very much.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

At first, I thought the place was closed. Landscaping looked like the property was abandoned. The front of the building IS under repair and sunken in to a point that if a bird flew into the exterior, it would come crashing down onto the front entrance... After we checked in (Prepaid room rental) we were told of the $15.00 per night parking fee..... Imagine, they forgot to mention that at the time of booking. If you don't pay it, your vehicle WILL BE TOWED. The rooms are equipped with up to date appliances, bathroom is clean, with paint covering the mold due to not having an exhaust fan in there. If you are flying in and want real cheap, stay here. I'll never be back.... The fact that they left out the $15.00 per night parking fee was the deciding factor. Did they mention you get "FREE WiFi?...

1  Thank TJ J
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately I spent 2 nights in this run down hotel! The room smelt, the bed was very uncomfortable and overall it needs work. To top it off I accidentally left my credit card behind when I checked in late at night and when I realized what I has done they could not find it? The Howard Johnson chain should do something about this hotel. Never again!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Hello Smoltman,

The spaciousness of our rooms and general staff development are the major factors of the hotel and our hospitality that we are continuously improving daily for our valuable guests like you. I want to thank you for your time in writing a review in response to your recent stay. Many times it is difficult to understand our hotel but when important and respectful guests like you, write a review we are able to better understand our situation. Your missing credit card was searched for in the LOST & FOUND department but nothing was discovered. We have no intention and use of keeping guest's credit cards for any reason.

We hope to see you again soon at our hotel as we appreciate your comments very much because we hope you give us a second chance at providing an even better experience.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

1  Thank Grace T
Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014