“Good location for easy access to airport”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good location for easy access to airport”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as our flight was early in the morning and as we had been on a 3day excursion trip we didn't fancy the long travel from NYC. The hotel room was nice with all the amenities you need and they provide a free shuttle bus every half an hour which goes to the airport. The bus takes a few minutes and staying here saved us a lot of hassle to get to the airport. I would say the hotel is probably only best for access to the airport as there is not much around there and can possibly take a good part of an hour into NYC depending on traffic.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Hello Mohsin M,

Thank you for your time to write a review in regards to your recent stay at our hotel. It was a
pleasure to have you as a guest since we enjoyed your company and time here at the hotel.

The spaciousness and cleanliness of our rooms, and the shuttle service to and from Newark International Airport are the major factors of the hotel and our hospitality that we are continuously improving daily for our valuable guests like you. I want to thank you for your time in writing a review behalf your recent stay.

We hope to see you again soon at our hotel because we appreciate your comments very much.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

I have stayed at other Howard Johnson hotels before that the reason why i booked again. But this location has very poor service. Rooms very smelly even if they are not smoking rooms. Customer service from the short gentleman at the desk was horrible!! the only good customer service we got was from restaurant and the shuttle that took us downtown NY which is an individual service from the hotel. I would not recommend this location unfortunately.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

1 Thank Lorena A
Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Hello Lorena A,

The cleanliness of our rooms and general staff development are the major factors of the hotel and our hospitality that we are continuously improving daily for our valuable guests like you. I want to thank you for your time in writing a review in response to your recent stay. Many times it is difficult to understand our hotel but when important and respectful guests like you, write a review we are able to better understand our situation such as the necessary deep cleaning needed in the guest room as you have mentioned.

We hope to see you again soon at our hotel as we appreciate your comments very much and we hope you give us a second chance at providing an even better experience.
Allentown, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a night before an early flight. I reserve through Park & Fly so I cn park my car there during my vacation. The shuttle service was great and courteous.
The room is dated but clean.
My only comment is that the room had a very strong odor to chemical cleaners. The odor was so strong that it made the stay not pleasant.
Since it was only for one night I didn't request a change of rooms, I think they will all be the same

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hello Yakov72,

The cleanliness of our rooms and general staff development are the major factors of the hotel and our hospitality that we are continuously improving daily for valuable guests like you. I want to thank you for your time in writing a review in response to your recent stay. Many times it is difficult to understand our hotel but when important and respectful guests like you, write a review we are able to better understand our situation such as the necessary cleaning needed in the guest room as you have mentioned.

We hope to see you again soon at our hotel as we appreciate your comments very much because we hope you give us a second chance at providing an even better experience.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Rooms are not very clean. The hotel had an unpleasant odor. The entrance way was under construction (but looked like it had been under construction for a while with no progress).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hello Lori B,

The cleanliness of our rooms and general staff development are the major factors of the hotel and our hospitality that we are continuously improving daily for our valuable guests like you. I want to thank you for your time in writing a review in response to your recent stay. Many times it is difficult to understand our hotel but when important and respectful guests like you, write a review we are able to better understand our situation such as the necessary cleaning needed in the guest room as you have mentioned.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was in Newark for a meeting, and usually stay at the host hotel. They were closed, so I made a reservation at the Howard Johnson, it was about a half mile away. It is an older hotel, but well kept, very comfortable rooms, refrigerator and microwave in each room. Their restaurant is great, nice people, with very good food, reasonable prices. I certainly would recommend this hotel, and will stay there again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hello Carol C,

The cleanliness of our rooms, the daily shuttle service to and from Newark Airport, and Ambrosia restaurant are the major factors of the hotel and our hospitality that we are continuously improving daily for our valuable guests like you. I want to thank you for your time in writing a review behalf your recent stay.

We hope to see you again soon at our hotel as we appreciate your comments very much.
Hauula, HI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Price. We get what we pay for. A room for $65-75/night by the airport is not going to be a 5-star resort. There are plenty of other options available in the area but my guess is many of the negative reviewers here, like me, didn't want to pay $200-300/night to sleep by the airport in Newark. It always amazes me that they'll flock to a hotel like this for the price and then leave a horrible review.
This was my 3rd time staying here. I only stay during the day on my long lay overs between Honolulu and Sao Paulo. For me the hotel, although showing its age and lacking "luxury" amenities, is perfect. I've always found the staff to be pleasant and courteous. They have a complimentary shuttle to the airport which is punctual. There is a restaurant in the hotel with room services. The bathrooms are clean even if a little dated. The wi-fi works. What are people complaining about? I just don't get it. Overall, based on the price, I give this HoJo 4 stars.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Hello Hale K,

The spaciousness and cleanliness of our rooms, the shuttle service to and from Newark International Airport, and Ambrosia restaurant are the major factors of the hotel and our hospitality that we are continuously improving daily for our valuable guests like you. I want to thank you for your time in writing a review behalf your recent stay.