“Not quite as bad as you might think”
Review of Hotel Riviera

Hotel Riviera
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Newark
New York City, New York
“Not quite as bad as you might think”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

As others that wrote reviews, I stayed in this hotel because my flight was canceled due to bad weather and the airline booked this hotel for me because it is reasonable close to the airport.
I didn't have a chance to check the reviews before that (otherwise I would have declined), but once there it was not as bad as I thought.
Yes, neighborhood is not good and the hotel is old. But my room was clean (on roaches or anything like that), great view and well (but quite unprofessionally) maintained.
So I thought I leave a review so that people are not too afraid to stay there.
But I would advise against wandering in the neighborhood. Also cab drivers seemed to be super shady there... not using meters.. so watch out.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Doctor J
Gary M, Manager at Hotel Riviera, responded to this review, 18 July 2016
Thanks for staying with us. We work hard to make our guests happy and appreciate your feedback!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
Hammond, Indiana
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

My friend and I had a delay on our flight. This was the only available hotel in the area. You wonder why? Yes we tough we were going to died, weird people, people selling drugs, weird noises. Bad costumer service. We stayed there for 5 hours and the left no other hotel. No taxi wanted to go pick us up. Imagine how bad was this hotel and area.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Adrianita88

Travellers are raving about these Newark hotels

San Bruno
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Several flights were cancelled at Newark airport due to bad weather and I was stuck with the only hotel available close to the airport. The desk clerks were nice and helpful but the place was run down. It had some nice features like marble floors in the lobby and nice hardwood floors in the room. My room was clean, the air conditioner worked well and I had a TV but I found a huge dead cockroach on the floor. The hallways were creepy. It appeared that transients were living there also. I feel sorry for them but they can be dangerous and involved in drugs and violence. I slept with the lights on. The cab driver told me not to walk around the hotel as the neighborhood is dangerous.
My biggest complaint is the price. $96 with tax for a DUMP! Other hotels in the area are much better for another 25 to 50 bucks per night. Stay away!

Room Tip: upper floors are non smoking
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank moem
Reviewed 22 June 2014

we wanted a hotel just to sleep for the night, for the price we paid we expected a nicer room. as soon as we got in, we checked in, I had asked for a no smoking room, was told by the guy that the only room they had available for us was a smoking room. we were fine with that. the elevator was very old and had bullet holes. we walked straight into the room and almost walked out, we had no other choice but to stay because it was already mid night. the bathroom was horrible. the shower curtains were broken, and ripped, and had paint on them. the bathroom was clean but looked so rundown and nasty. I slept with my daughter because she said she was too scared, and my husband slept in the other bed. I was told by him in the morning that he woke up to three pokes on his ribs. he was to scared to go back to sleep and turned every light on and watched tv until the morning. definitely do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Lucy M
Latham, New York
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I booked this hotel because I was going to EDC at met life stadium and being a college student, i was on a budget. I found this hotel and booked it because it was cheap and relatively close to the venue of the event. To start, there was a SWAT team that went by the hotel when we first checked in. That pretty much sums up the neighborhood; very run down and a very bad area. I still checked in because for the price, I didn't care as long as I had a bed to sleep in with my friends. We put our luggage in the room and there was an opened water bottle in the fridge, so I don't know how well they really clean the rooms because you think they would of thrown that out..?

Anyways, after the event we were headed back to the hotel and I was asking a police officer for which bus to take. He seemed genuinely worried we were staying in that part of town and said "Are you serious? Can you stay at a different hotel? Maybe one without bullet holes in the walls?" That was coming from someone who is supposed to make me feel safe..

Lastly, we get back to the hotel and I went to charge my phone and saw something and my friend immediately saw it was a cockroach. I screamed so loud but she thought it was dead so she went to go clean it up. Turns out it was alive and on it's back. I honestly have a high tolerance for dirty-ness and literally just wanted a bed to sleep in, but seriously, cockroaches? We went to the front desk and they did nothing. Had to sleep with the lights on to hope more wouldn't come out. Also saw a small other unknown bug crawling on the floor.

Slept to the sounds of police sirens and the idea of cockroaches crawling on me.

Never been more disgusted in my life. A very eye opening experience. Don't stay here unless you have to.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Laura M
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Ok, my wife and I like all you guys before, found this place because it was affordable and in the New York City area. It's in Newark so we didn't expect much anyway .Thank god we went upstairs to check out the room. We said hell no and got our money back.I honestly wouldn't put my dog to spend one night here. It's funny we never read the reviews before posting this.The reason I am writing this review, my wife and I were talking about horrible life experiences and this place came up, I decided to google the reviews and laughed reading all the horrible reviews of this place. I had such a great laugh because you have to see this place to believe it.
Please I know there are a lot of you who bailed after seeing this place.please write your review and share it with others.

Lastly if you want to prank your spouse and you guys fly into the New York City area or you reside in jersey, take them here pretend you are spending a night here and tape their reaction priceless keep it for years to come.

• Stayed January 2014
5 Thank Carboncarcopy
Cabo de Santo Agostinho, Pernambuco, Brazil
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I went to New York last December with my friends. And as We did not found any hotel in NYC, we decided to stay in Newark because it is very close to NYC. We started to look for some hotels and we found this place called Riviera Hotel. It seemed to be a good hotel, thus we booked 7 nights there. When we made the reservation, we asked for a no-smoking bedroom, but when we checked into the hotel, they gave us a smoking room. We tried to change it because I am allergic to that, but they said that is the only one available for you guys, that freaked me out. However, that was not our main problem. When I tried to connect the wireless it was not working, i complained, but they did not fix it. Second, we stayed there for 7 nights and they did not clean our bedroom. Third, they use pillows and sheets from hospitals.How did we figured it out ? because we could read the name of some hospitals on the sheets. Fourth, the mattress had a plastic bag covering it, so it was very uncomfortable for sleeping. Fifth, the windows were broken. I have problems to sleep with lights on and I told them about it, but they did not do anything. Sixth, the elevator had shooting holes and they have a guy with a gun to protect the hotel.Finally, I saw a mouse in the bedroom. That is really disgusting. So never, ever, ever go to that Hotel, they should be prohibited of working.
That was the worst experience in my whole life.

Room Tip: there is no good bedrooms there.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends