“Very friendly”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Baltimore, Maryland
“Very friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed here overnight to take a flight out of Newark the next day. Staff was very friendly in all areas. Everyone we encountered (front desk, housekeeping, restaurant staff, etc.) said hello and were very helpful. Even when we told the shuttle driver we would be driving ourselves to the airport, he offered to have us follow him since the roads were tricky. He even gave a goodbye wave as parted ways on the road to the terminals. Room was very clean and had all we needed!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
FOM450, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Newark Airport, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear carolmul,

It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. We will make sure to share your comments with our staff.

Sandra Wilstermann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
Great Britain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed here the first night of our stay before travelling the next day. We were ready to get to the hotel at around 22.00, but as the transport at newark airport in general is poor we got there around 11, we waited a long time for the shuttle and it was quite small and busy compared to other hotel shuttles. The staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful, the room was fine although the bathroom looked a little grubby and there was something on the wall which hadn't been cleaned, I ignored it! Beds were comfy and it was fine for one night after travelling all day. The breakfast was nice and reasonably priced. Service was friendly but slow.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pippip80
FOM450, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Newark Airport, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear pippip80,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for The Holiday Inn Newark Airport. We take all comments and feedback very seriously in order to improve service. I am glad to hear that you found the front desk staff polite and welcoming. I am extremely sorry to hear the transportation to and from the Newark Airport was not as efficient as it could have been. Please be assured that the matter will be looked into by our General Manager to ensure this does not occur in the future. Hopefully you will return to our hotel.

Sincerely.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We had a very early flight, so we stayed at a hotel near the airport the night before. With several choices, I chose this hotel based on the good reviews here, especially comments about how good the shuttle is.

Everything about the hotel was good, except for service at the restaurant, which was inattentive and offhand. The front desk staff were all pleasant and helpful, so I don't know why the waitstaff weren't as good.

The room was comfortable, with a new style of dresser at counter-height, and a desk that's a pull-out table. This works very well. The large flat-screen TV was attached to a console with plug-in ports for every imaginable electronic device. If you wanted to look at your photos or powerpoint presentation, you could plug into to the console and view it on the screen. this is the first time I've seen this, and it's a great idea. The room also had lots of conveniently placed outlets for plugging in chargers.

There was a little noise in the hallways from a family that had loud kids running along the hallway. The hotel might consider having "shh!" signs in the halls the way Premier Inns in England do. I'm not blaming the hotel for people who don't control their kids, but sometimes all people need is a gentle reminder that their neighbors may be sleeping.

Don't panic if you look out the window and see the track for the airport monorail night in front of you. Our room faced the monorail and it was quiet, no problem at all.

When we went outside to get the shuttle, one was waiting right at the door. It was around 5:15 AM, and the trip to the airport terminals should have been easy. But the entry ramp to the airport loop road was closed. I don't know why, but there were cops and flashing lights all over the place. The driver took us to the nearby station for the airport monorail rather than find another way into the airport. I know the area, and he was right to do this. There's only one easily reached entrance to the airport loop road from the hotel (the entry that was blocked). Doubling back to find another would have taken more time, and he couldn't be sure that other entrances weren't blocked, too. Judging from the number of vans and car services dropping off people at the station, lots of people chose this option. It just shows that the driver had the sense and knowledge of the tangle of airport roads to find the quickest solution to a problem.

This is a good, well-run hotel and if we need to stay at the airport again, we'll stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kathy49NJ,

We are delighted to hear your wonderful experience and truly appreciate for sharing your kind compliments. We certainly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Newark Airport.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We spent the night here prior to an early morning flight. The staff was--across the board--friendly and welcoming (at 11 PM on a Thursday). The room was modern, clean and comfortable. The room temperature and bed were more comfortable than the more-expensive place we stayed at our final destination. The most pleasant surprise was the quality of the food and service at the restaurant (at 11:30 PM on a Thursday). My only complaint is that they started vacuuming the restaurant when several of us late-comers were still eating.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
FOM450, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Newark Airport, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear TimRNYC,

Sincerely
Watervliet, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stranded one hour from home because my continuation flight from the Bahamas was cancelled, I was in a unfamiliar city during heavy weather. Since the airline used the ''weather'' excuse (even though other flights did land at my final destination), i was left to my own devices and had to move quickly to find a place to stay for one night. This hotel provided me with everything I needed, simple transfer from and to the airport, accommodations with no bad surprises, and a restaurant. The only real complaints I had were minor: the meat in the beef stroganoff was a bit tough; the hotel corridor smelled like carpet cleaner; and the room hair dryer didn't work. What you see outside the building is really ugly though.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for The Holiday Inn Newark Airport. We take all comments and feedback very seriously in order to improve service. I am glad to hear that you found the front desk staff polite and welcoming and that getting to the hotel was easy even with the AirTrain renovations. We apologize that you had some malfunctioning amenities in the room. We will do our best to make sure all amenities in the room are in good working order so future guests do not have the same issue. Hopefully you will return to our hotel should your travels bring you back to the Newark Area.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed for three nights while on business. The rooms look newer and are clean and well outfitted for doing work - good desk and ample charging outlets - USB and regular. If you don't have a vehicle there is an on demand shuttle. The office staff is friendly and can answer any questions you have about the area.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear JazzKeys73,

Sincerely

dc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I recently stayed here for the duration of 4 days. Check in was fine and they recognized my elite platinum status by saying thank you. That's about it as far as any perks for my status. I asked for a late check out one evening and the clerk said she couldn't do that for me :/. The property iteself is better then I expected. My partner & I smelled smoke a few times on my floor.I did not like that. One night the phone rang in my room and it was a man who said he was the manager. He proceeded to inform me in a cold tone that Maam there is a No smoking policy!! I didnt understand, so I said that's great but are you calling every guest? Is there a reason you're directing this to me personally? He then proceeded to accuse me of smoking and that the housekeepers found cigarette ash in my room. I was livid and OFFENDED!!!!!!!!! I have never smoked a day in my life and hate smoke. I told him someone was definitely mistaken in giving him MY room number and he or anyone was welcome to come up and scour my room for anything. He proceeded to apologize but the damage was done and it indeed left a very bad taste in my mouth. I travel daily every month and am use to a certain hotel etiquette & respect especially being a platinum elite member. My last night I switched hotels and stayed at Springhill suites where I wish I wouldve stayed the entire time instead. Much better treatment and property.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Newark Airport, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear sylver2,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G