“Excellent All the Way Around”

Holiday Inn Newark Airport
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Kingston, New York
“Excellent All the Way Around”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

One of my dearest friends, who now lives in Montana, was on the east coast and didn't have enough time to get to me in NY and back before her flight left so I booked us a suite for the night so we could catch up. A fantastic stay even though we had a couple of hiccups...first, as previous reviewers have noted, it's not the easiest place to find, and GPS gives you inaccurate directions. Just call the hotel first and they will tell you how to get there. We wanted to return her car that day as her flight was so early the next morning. Hiccup number two...and completely out fault. We thought that the shuttle driver would pick us up not at Enterprise but at the gate below (this is what we were told at Enterprise). Not the case, and poor Costas had to come back 3 times to find us. When we finally got to our room it was an absolute delight. Nice and big and clean - the pull out sleeper was quite comfortable and the pillows on the bed were definitely some of the best I have ever slept on in a hotel. We went down to the bar and had a great time talking with the bar and wait staff, playing cards, drinking wine and watching the World Cup. We did order room service and this is where my only complaint comes in - we ordered the baked brie and the spring rolls - the spring rolls were just blah, no real taste - and the baked brie was really quite unappetizing - it had not been fully heated and the consistency was that of a block of cheese rather than melted cheese. We put it on another plate and nuked it for a few minutes but it had lost its appeal at that point. And to make it worse, the kitchen had put the toast points underneath the cheese, so that they were completely soggy by the time they got to us. Gross....and the reason I gave 4 instead of 5 stars.

That said though I have nothing but high marks for the hotel. The staff, from front desk to maintenance to cleaning crew were all extremely friendly and we really appreciated the bar staff laughing with us two older ladies as we cruised down memory lane (Happy Birthday Jeff!).

Keep up the great work!

Room Tip: We were on the top floor and our window overlooked one of the runways. We turned off the lights and...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sweetbaboo825

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Korean first
Kottyam
Reviewed 19 July 2014

It was our last stop during our 2 months long US holidays and was also conveniently placed for my cousin's wedding function at New Jersey. Suite was superbly large and well designed and children just loved it to play around. The breakfast we had during our entire trip and it was arranged in a superb location. Extremely clean indeed. our whole of family was staying here and had a great time indeed.

Room Tip: Suites are the best
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We just needed a room for an overnight, and we chose this one since it was near and at a good price. The Hotel was clean and had everything we needed for the overnight.
The staff was great, nice, with humor and very helpful.
The bar is also nice and useful if you arrive late. Prices are as you expect in an Hotel.
The only disadvantage was having to go by bus to get to the Hotel Transfer, taking some time, but it seemed an airport problem, not from the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is difficult to get to if one is not familiar with the maze of roads and service roads around the airport. Calling the hotel for help doesn't give you much to work with. Rather than being at the ready with good directions they asked me "Do you have GPS?". Even GPS wasn't of any use when I gave it the address of the hotel.
I arrived on a late flight and upon entering the hotel I was greeted by a lonely customer waiting to get a room and an empty desk. It took great effort to get some help to check us in. The three folks that were on duty were not very customer oriented.
I don't plan on staying here in the future.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tonypose
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Newark Airport, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Tonypose,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Newark.

Orlando A.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This must have been the worst stay of my life, the AC unit was broken as the compressor would only run for about 3 minutes every 15-20 minutes and Anthony the night time manager wouldn't move us because he claimed they were sold out, there maintenance guy didn’t speak any English and would only stay till the compressor kicked in for a minute and point at it like it was fixed then leave. At 12:30am I was getting desperate with the room holding in around 78-79, so I called the hotel on my cell phone and he answered and was willing to give me a room for $149 a night, when I went down stairs and confronted him, he claimed there was 6 unclaimed rooms and was only willing to rent them for $149, I demanded for him to move us, he said I needed to pay $149 to be moved. I told him were to go and move down the street to the Wyndham and had a nice cool night stay. I got back and complained to IHG about this stay they offered my 3000 points ($30 value) for the inconvenience because I booked using hotels.com there was nothing more they could do. Wow - insult to injury... I understand a bad employee can do anything wrong but the true quality of a brand is one that does the right thing to rectify a wrong in my opinion IHG is disgraceful in there meager attempt to right this.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank L0ve_Travelling_44
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Newark Airport, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear L0ve_Travelling_44,

Orlando A.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I recently had a flight cancellation on my return from Newark, NJ and was in dire need of accommodations. All flights were cancelled that night and I called the Holiday Inn Newark International Airport. I spoke with Gerald the manager on duty and he did his very best to accommodate me with this last minute notice.

Gerald and his team managed to turn this negative experience into what became a very pleasant stay. The entire experience including shuttle ride from the airport, check-in, accommodations, bar/restaurant and shuttle back to the airport the following day was excellent. A genuine concern for the guest was demonstrated by all, which to me reflects highly on the leadership at this property.

I highly recommend the Holiday Inn Newark International Airport and would like to thank everyone there for helping to make my stay so comfortable and enjoyable. I look forward to returning during future visits to the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is an airport hotel and I was flying at a dreadfully early hour the following day, so simply needed a place to sleep that was in close proximity to my check-in desk and this Holiday Inn delivered that.

I ate dinner in the hotel restaurant and the food was good, whilst my room was clean and although not the largest I stayed in on my trip, it was adequate.

The one thing I would say is that despite being spitting distance from Newark Airport, it's actually the rather busy freeway next to the hotel which generates the most noise and can be heard from the bedrooms, although it didn't stop me from sleeping.

If flying out of Newark at the crack of dawn again, I would consider this hotel again but keep your expectations in check as, after all, this is an airport hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back of the property, to try and limit the noise from the freeway in front...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Newark Airport, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear SoloChris,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I am pleased you liked the location of our hotel. Furthermore, I would like to apologize for any disturbance you have experienced during your stay. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A