“Middle of the road” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Schenectady, New York
“Middle of the road”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Yet another hotel that you really have to be a sleuth to find the entrance. Breakfast was actually good. Eggs, turkey sausage, waffles all hot. I was on the "executive level" which in real life is the basement room 138. I was told that the heat/cooling was controlled by the thermostat on the wall, which is not true. It's controlled at the environmental unit itself. The room was clean and well stocked. When I asked for extra soap it was supplied without question. The rate was a little high for the area the hotel is in. Overall, it's an average hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
comfortsuitesnewark, General Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time and sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay. It's great to hear you were able to take advantage of the complimentary breakfast and enjoyed our clean rooms and the level of service provided by our staff. We hope we are able to provide you with the same great accommodations the next time you are in the area.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Nice clean hotel but didn't like eating off paper plates n drinking out of paper cups , the area it's in is a bit scarey didn't feel safe going out at night so got a cab , overall we a good nights sleep as beds were very comfortable , staff were helpful , but don't think I would stay here again just because of area .

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time and sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay. It's great to hear you were able to take advantage of the complimentary breakfast and enjoyed the level of service provided by our staff and a good nights sleep on our comfortable beds. Newark is an upcoming city with a lot of positive developments in the city with new businesses constructing and developing their base. These changes are for the better of historic Newark. We would like to invite you to give us another shot in the future for your stay. We hope we are able to provide you with the same great accomodations the next time you are in the area.

Torrance, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Overall the hotel location and breakfast are ok (the lady attending to the breakfast area was super friendly and helpful) but housekeeping has to seriously IMPROVE its cleaning. The hotel lobby + elevator carpet + floor dirty: not wet-cleaned in ages. My room 321 had strange brown stains on the wallpaper near the sink. None of the plastic floors (entry + bathroom) had been wet-mopped in a loooong time. I noticed several cherry stems on the floor - not from me. Dried up shiny drops on those floor, I asked to have them removed: they sprayed a bit on 2 square feet but did not clean the area. I guess some previous guest must have sprayed around with coke because in the seating area, the wallpaper had dry splatters of dark liquid all over: nobody removed it. Desk chair had multiple dark stains. I complained to front desk about room interior: supposedly I had one of their newly renovated rooms: NO WAY with walls banged in and dirty paint. The next day my room was not cleaner but housekeeping sprayed air freshener that it took my breath away (I guess thinking strong chemical smell makes me believe more than superficial cleaning was done).

Room Tip: I had 321 and did not like it
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

We acomodate many guests each evening and we strive to make their stay a wonderful and satisfying experience. Consequently,it's dissapointing to learn that you're unhappy. Please accept my sincere apology. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from guests are taken seriously. I would like to assure you that all the issues raised have been addressed and appropriate action has been taken. Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

After a fiasco of missing our connection with Air Canada, we were sent to an "airport hotel" - Comfort Suites. This hotel was NO WHERE near the airport. Hotel staff told us not to go outside the airport late at night unless we are using a taxi service because of safety concerns in the area. The room smelled like cigarettes and when I turned down the sheets, there was a stain. I was afraid to sleep in the covers because I did not feel like the blankets were clean. When my dad woke up in the morning, he found some bites on his chest - we believe that these were bug bites.

I would never stay at this hotel again and I wouldn't recommend it. The safety concerns alone were enough to scare me off. The bed was quite comfortable, if you can deal with the bug bites and the continental breakfast wasn't too bad - but there is no airport shuttle and it is relatively expensive to cab back and forth to the hotel should you be in transit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Comfort Suites Newark

Travellers are raving about these Newark hotels

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We plan to visit NYC and go shopping at outlets. After surfed the internet, we select Comfort Suites Newark Jersey City which was proved we picked up the right place with location, price, service etc.
If you visit a city, you're better to walk and take the city public transportation system. Comfort Suites Newark is 15 min walk to Broad Street Station where you take New Jersey Transit to New York Penn Station then you take New York Subway to anywhere, it is 20 min drive to Jersey Garden outlet and 1 hour drive to Woodbury Common Premium Outlets;
We stayed 3 days to save extra 25% with free parking, free WiFi and free decent breakfast etc.
I would recommend CS Newark to friends .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
comfortsuitesnewark, General Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. We are pleased to know that you liked the clean rooms and also our hot breakfast buffet and also found our location convenient to New York City and major shopping outlet malls. Your survey responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Comfort Suites Newark NJ
973 481 5200 ext 403
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here with my mother and grandmother while we visited New York City. Room was clean and in good condition (very minor scuffs and pain marks, no staining on furniture). Bathroom was excellent, our room had a huge jetted tube at no extra charge for us. The only real weak point was the Internet, sluggish and dropped out completely at times but that's definitely a minor complaint. Service was so friendly and free breakfast in the morning more then made expectations. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
comfortsuitesnewark, General Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your survey responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. We are pleased to know that you liked our level of cleanliness and our breakfast buffet and also the jetted tub in the bathroom. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Comfort Suites Newark NJ
973 481 5200 ext 403
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Front desk staff were very kind enough to help me with my stay. Looking forward to coming back and visiting soon! The beds were very comfortable and it was one of the most quietest hotels I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
comfortsuitesnewark, General Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay. It's great to hear you were happy with our service, comfortable & clean rooms and friendly staff at our hotel. Also it is great to know you liked that our hotel is quiet and peaceful. We hope we are able to provide you with the same great accommodations the next time you are in the area.