“$149 for a junior suite on New Years Eve”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Flying out of EWR airport on New Years Day at 9am, and concerned about the weather, we decided to stay across the street from the airport overnight.
This was a great choice because there is secure free parking, the rooms are great, and they start serving a breakfast of good variety at 6:30 am, including scrambled eggs and fresh waffles -- so we could eat a good meal before check in.
A nice touch was getting a junior suite for the price, so we could shower the night before while our son slept, as the shower was far enough away from the bedroom, separated by a lounge area.
The complaint reviewers cite about "wrong directions on the website" comes down to this: They give you GPS directions to follow to a specific address, and from there you are supposed to follow signs (about 4 signs in all taking about 90 seconds). That's all.

Room Tip: If you are on the east side on a high floor, you'll have a view of NYC possibly, and maybe see p...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AmeriEuroMan

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed here before a 5am flight to cancun. Great staff....easy check in...overall awesome experience!! Thanks marriot as always for an easy breezy check in, beautiful clean room, and quick check out!?

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I was looking for a place to stay fairly close to New York City for a friends birthday. After carefully choosing the Fairfield Inn I was excited because I would recommend a Marriott to ANYONE. I looked through a few different websites and found that the price through the hotel was actually a better price then say, priceline or expedia. So I went on my way to hold the room and put in my credit information and requested an early check in, knowing I would be there around 12 and not 3, and extra pillows. I get to the hotel after being lost for quite sometime, because they give the wrong directions on the website, it was 1:30 when I got here. No rooms ready until 3, okay I can live with that even though I asked for earlier check in. Then I go wander for a little to get some food. I call the hotel to see if I have a mini fridge, like the website said I would have and Priceline also said there was fridges in the room. I have NEVER stayed at a Marriott without a fridge in the room so I was more then surprised when the front desk told me I didnt have a fridge because I wasnt in a junior Suite, but I could use the front desks fridge. I do not want to use the front desks fridge... I wanted to use my own. Accepting this as a defeat i bought things that did not need refrigeration assuming I would just get breakfast from the continental breakfast. Well this too did not happen because it apparently closes at 10:15. I walked down to the lobby at 10 and it was still full of food and people. I went back to get a friend in the room and it was gone by the time I got back to the lobby. On top of the food issues and check in time, I also had asked for extra pillows, I dont know about everyone else in the world but I think 4 pillows to a bed is a normal amount of pillows. 2 per person is a normal amount of pillows, not extra. Then to top it all off after driving here 5 hours and being annoyed with everything else I was woken up at 630am to people slamming doors and yelling in the halls. So all in all it was a disaster of a night, seeing as I got nothing I had asked for I will tell people about the issues and how disappointed I am in the Marriott system.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stevie N
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We had originally planned a 3-night stay at the Marriott Springhill Suites next door (where I wrote a separate review). During our stay there, there was a fire, and we were moved to the Fairfield. Like the Springhill, the Fairfield is equipped with many of the amenities one might be looking for: refrigerator, microwave, wifi, indoor pool, exercise room, free breakfast, free parking. It is hard to say which one is better or more luxurious; there are a few tradeoffs, but in all, you get quite a lot from either one.

There is an issue with all hotels in this area that they are hard to find, even with a GPS. It has to do with the way the roads are configured, with ramps that constantly split. It could take multiple attempts to get it right while you will hear the word "recalculating" a lot.

We had stayed the first night at the Springhill, and we were given a free pass to stay at the Fairfield for the second night. Originally, the Fairfield was going to charge us for a third night if we did not relocate back to the Springhill. When I complained it would be too much of a hassle to move our luggage back, the Fairfield staff told me I had to talk to the Springhill management. But the Springhill management told me it was no problem at all.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank colorknit
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Directions to this hotel on the Marriott website will get you lost. Best to call the hotel for directions. Or take the free shuttle from EWR airport. A good value for a hotel located near a major airport. Great service and clean fully equipped rooms. Free breakfast included. The hotel van will take you to some great local restaurants and pick you up. I recommend this hotel and will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 December 2013

The hotel said there is a shuttle from the airport at :15 and :45. We arrived at 12:40am. Did not see any shuttle, then it whizzes by. I called hotel immediately and front desk guy says he will call him and have him turn back. Not only didn't he do this, the guy doesn't show up to pick us up until 1:30. I was there with older parents in the cold waiting. There was a mother and father with two kids under 5. It was awful the hotel runs like this.
Please choose doubletree if you can. Their shuttle came through more frequently.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank iu_denden
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Reserved a room here and, as a Marriott member, upgraded me to a Jr Suite on an empty day. Room was clean and spacious with terrific internet service. For an airport hotel, it was also surprisingly quiet. They checked in on me a couple of times and had a friendly staff. Just a clean, solid, quiet room at a good price. I'll definitely go here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Travellers also viewed these Newark hotels
SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport
Best Western Plus Newark Airport West

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Newark Liberty International Airport? Share your experiences!