Fairfield Inn & Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Newark
San Francisco, California
“Good Value near EWR”
Reviewed 12 February 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

The hotel is clean, easy to get to (once you low how), and offers scheduled shuttle to EWR, and the good value if you need to be in the area (Newark, near EWR, and all).

Pro: close to EWR; reasonable value; and clean room
Con: if this is your first try to drive to the hotel, read the direction carefully -- I mean very carefully. It is confusing.
[But after a few ties -- I have been there more than I can remember; it is pretty easy]

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My stay was from 6th to 8th January 2014 and I certainly have no complains but positive comments. Whilst finding the location was a challenge due road works but the front office gave good directions to get to the hotel and offered further assistance if required at mid night.
Check in was flawless and room was very clean n large enough. The key for me was breakfast with almost full buffer with all choices. Normally they are basic stuff but this property offered all that you need and more than enough hands to assist. They also have variety of tea on offer 24 hours if you are a tea lover and apples was also on offer. A very quite complex with ample parking for guests and staff were very friendly
I will certainly stay there again and will recommend to others

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Ashveen S
ohio
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I am a gold member in Marriott. I was in the area for business, and booked the hotel at a "discounted" prepay rate. The rate went down, but after calling in advance, talking to the hotel and 800# reservation, talking with them at registration, etc - they wouldn't give me the new lower rate.

Then that morning - I had to wash my hair in the sink - after waiting 10 minutes he shower still had not warmed up. So I washed my hair in the sink with a cup. After the shampoo the shower was finally warm enough to get in to it for my conditioner to rinse off. The fan in the bathroom didn't work either...

This hotel was also VERY hard to find, don't bother driving there, take the airport shuttle. You will never find it.

Room Tip: DO not try to drive to this hotel - its an oasis in the middle of a few freeways, damn near impossib...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed here before and after a trip to Cancun. Good park and fly rates with parking for up to 14 days. Nice good size rooms, great staff, good breakfast choices, airport shuttle. A little tricky to find but we always get there! Have stayed here several times and would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WeeLuv2Travel2
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here one night prior to my Dominican Republic. We checked in and they were very kind and clearly know what they are doing.

We entered the room. A half bitten apple. Uncleaned garbage can. Shavings on the sink. Used towels on the floor. Wrappers scattered everywhere. DISGUSTING!!! So we called them to report this and they sent a housekeeper finally 20 mins later who was very nice and did their job well. Then we found out after the whole unclean incident we had a broken television. Also another major problem. And they also didn't give us enough pillows and they only had one more left when we requested enough for my children. The people are very nice (Thanks for everything Jennifer) and the breakfast is delicious! They had a phenomenal shuttle service that drive us right to our terminal instead of us having to take the AirTram! The room we stayed in was a suite and it was very spacious!

I wouldn't stay again... It's great location though if you are desperate.

• Stayed December 2013
Riverview, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We chose this hotel after reading the reviews on this site. We arrived at 7a.m.(for a 24 hour stay) and were kindly granted early check-in so we went to dump our bags before heading to NYC. We hopped on the Airtrain at Newark and got off at P4. Went down the stairs to await the shuttle. There are many people and many shuttles so you need to keep a sharp eye out. it's 15 minutes to the hotel. A $1-2 tip is appreciated by the driver. We were told that shuttles are every 1/2 hour but... seem to be some shuttle hiccups. The staff greeted us warmly and checked us in early. They told us to help ourselves to breakfast!!! This was fantastic as it allowed us to feed two teens before heading into NYC for the day.The room was a typical of a standard hotel. Two queens. We requested extra blankets and they were delivered immediately. We paid with a credit card when checking in. We had to leave at 5 the next morning and our receipt was under the door in the a.m. The shuttle was at the door and we had no issues getting to the airport on time. Now here is where they went up in my estimation...
We were on our trip home with no plans to spend the night in Newark. As we were getting our things together to board the plane our DD discovered her passport was nowhere to be found. We ran to the United desk and were informed by a next to useless agent (she was literally clicking away on her hot pink cell phone ignoring those lined up) that, "You can't fly without a passport." Duh... I gritted my teeth and asked my options. She told me they only check the lost and found a couple of times a day and that we should go back to terminal C. I explained our lack of time and she shrugged. I then turned to my husband and told him to board the plane with our son and go home and that I would stay with our daughter. I got her to re-book us for the next day. My husband suggest we return to the Fairfield as we knew what we were getting with this hotel. I had no phone nor change but after relying on the kindness of a lady working at the NYC transportation desk downstairs I managed to call the hotel and book in. (downside... they are not on the hotel directory board at the airport) We hopped the shuttle (after a 45 minute wait- mind you others were waiting for their hotel shuttles a long time too- Holiday Inn showed up 5 times while we waited fyi), arrived at the hotel and were pleasantly greeted as before. I explained why we were staying with them again and they gave us a little bag with 2 toothbrushes and paste. They put us in a quiet room (4th floor away from elevator). We settled into our room and my husband called after arriving home. He was put through by the front desk to our room. The phone line was terrible so he said he would call back. I went to the front desk and explained that the phone was faulty and they said they would send a technician up right away. While I was at the desk my husband called again and they handed me the phone and said to take my time. Upon returning to my room the maintenance man promptly showed and replaced the phone. The next day I explained that I was going to try to catch a train home but was not sure I would make it so I might have to return. They said it was no problem for them to hold my reservation until a requested time and that if I didn't return they would cancel it. What a relief that was, as I did not have access to a phone to call and cancel and I definitely didn't want to be without a reservation as it was New Years Eve. So to sum up... shuttle needs work but it gets you there. Hotel staff are exemplary!! Breakfast was above the usual included fare with porridge, cereal, granola, yogurts, waffles, boiled and scrambled eggs, bread, muffins danishes, fruit, drinks sausage and milk in the carton phew - what more could you need? Rooms are clean standard, affordable hotel rooms. I would definitely stay there again! If the hotel staff read this- thank you!!!!

Room Tip: 4th floor not too high not to low for street and air traffic.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The room was beautiful and the service at the hotel was also good. However, the shuttle service leaves much to be desired especially when you want to get to the hotel ASAP, after a long day on flights. I understand that shuttle service depends on traffic, etc., but at this hotel there is two sister hotels in the same area, but the shuttle service for the other hotel would not drop us off. The other hotel was across the parking lot, and they were Marriott hotels. Perhaps they could use two shuttles for this hotel. Also at the airport when you are trying to call the hotel from the list at the phone bank, this hotel is not listed there, rather the sister hotels, so you are not directly connected to this Fairfield Inn and Suites. They need to improve this system. Other than that, thumbs up for this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple