“Good place if visiting NYC”

Courtyard Newark Downtown
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I was in town for a friend's birthday celebration. I needed a cheap place to stay near the city. This hotel was everything that I was looking for: clean, new, free wifi, and close to Newark Penn Station. The rooms are large and the bathrooms are clean. The staff could be friendlier but everything I needed I received. I would recommend for anyone who is looking to visit NYC and stay someplace close and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 May 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a UFC event at the Prudential Center in April. It is a quick trip by taxi from the airport and around $25 (including tip).
The hotel is literally next to the Prudential Center, making it very convenient if you have tickets to an event.
The hotel is quite new and the staff were all friendly and helpful. Though the rooms are not huge, they are laid out in a way that you don't feel cramped.
The food at the hotel was a tad overpriced but it was convenient and honestly, the area lacks many choices to eat. A great perk is that they serve Starbucks coffee, lattes etc.
The trip to NYC was quick and easy. Getting to Penn Station was just a brisk walk and the train ride didn't take more than 15 minutes. Time Square is but a few blocks from Penn Station NY; sightseeing was easy.
For the fight home, the airport shuttle is available every hour on the hour; it also makes stops to Penn Station if you don't want to walk.
We decided that next time we want to visit NYC, we will fly in to Newark, stay at this hotel and take the train there. It is much more affordable than the hotels in Manhattan.
I have nothing negative to say about the Courtyard Marriott - nice all the way!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I agree with everything GreekGuyGeorgia has already said. The parking is definitely less than convenient even if there isn't an event. I can't believe there isn't a walkway between the garage and the hotel. To have to walk all the way around the block in a neighborhood that is less than safe was a concern for me. The fact that there is no food/beverage service except for the very limited hours is also a concern. Again, there are not a lot of options around the hotel and even if there were, it isn't safe to walk around that area of town. The rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly, but the sound outside the windows is loud. If you don't have to be in downtown Newark or can afford a little commute time, there are better options than this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Thank you for your response kboulia_69. We are aware of your frustrations with walking from the parking garage and I would like to let you know we are working with the garage on building a walk way directly in to the hotel. We do not have an estimated date yet but there are hopes it will be completed in the future. I do hope you come back, and if you are with us while the Bistro is closed we do have fresh food in our market and a variety of delivery menus. Thanks again for your feedback.

Matt Garber
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 7 May 2013

At first we had a little glitch checking in but after about 20 mins it all worked out just fine. It is so hard to find a hotel in NYC that one can afford but this one filled the bill. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable. Path Line is only about a 7 - 10 minute walk and then you are on your way to NYC, or you could take the free shuttle they offered. The hotel is pretty new and was very clean, you had to use your room key in the elevator (which I loved) if you wanted to go up to the 3rd floor or higher. They had a little deli across the street where we bought dinner and I was pleasantly surprise how good the food was...Round trip ticket on the Path line runs around $4.50. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeanie63_12
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This was a tough hotel to rate. It is a nice enough hotel and a potentially good location (see what comes next though).

First the good....staff was nice, hotel was new, rooms were clean, decent fitness center, it was half a block from the Pru Center.

Now the bad.....woe is the traveler who does not heed the other warnings regarding the parking situation during events at the Pru Center. We came back from dinner one night just as a hockey game was finishing. It took us quite a while to go the final 8 blocks to the hotel only to find that, because of traffic rerouting, it was literally impossible to get to the parking garage that the hotel uses. I mean literally. So one of us sat in the car on the street for almost 40 minutes until they re-opened the street . This was a 11 pm in a pouring rain after a long day of travel. My quarrel with the hotel is twofold. First, the possibility of this occurring was never mentioned to us when we checked in. Something along the lines of "the parking garage is inaccessible between the hours of blah, blah, blah so plan accordingly." Second, how a hotel can even expect to operate under those conditions is beyond me. Seriously? You know there will be many times when guests cannot park to get to the hotel and haven't figured out a solution? BTW, I recently went back to the area and spent the night at a different Newark airport property specifically because I was arriving around 9:30 pm and did not want to risk a replay of this fiasco.

A second quibble with the property is that the Bistro is only open certain hours although Starbucks coffee is theoretically available 24 hours. First issues is that there is no sign to indicate that. Then once you decipher than you can get a coffee during off hours, the reception has to page someone to come over to make it. Finally, after reading half a USA Today while waiting, you can't actually pay at the Bistro but instead have to go over to the reception to pay. The two areas are very close but if there are people lined up to check in or out, this process can take 15 minutes or more just to get a hot cup of coffee. Kind of annoying frankly.

In summary, if I were going to an event or meeting in downtown Newark, the place would be a good option. But for transit travelers who have other options that are equally convenient, there is too much baggage with this place to make it a top choice.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My husband, daughter (10) and I stayed here so we could attend a concert at the Prudential Center. The hotel is new and everything was fresh and clean. The service at check in was great! Our room was a decent size but be aware that it can be loud if you are overlooking the street. The parking is a bit strange, but not too much of an issue. We would absolutely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank odie1
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I stayed one night. Great location. New, clean & quiet. The staff is pleasant. Check in & out was quick and without incident. Accommodated late check out request. Good buffalo wings. Although not a deal breaker, I didn't care for the parking arrangement.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo