“Very nice place and very nice people” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Newark Downtown

Courtyard Newark Downtown
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Newark
USA
“Very nice place and very nice people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

My wife and I spent one night at the downtown Newark Courtyard because I got tired of paying Manhattan hotel prices. We go the the city a lot to visit family and I have stayed at dozens of NYC hotels. This time I wanted to save a few bucks and I did. We got a king room for 110 a night plus tax and the 21 dollar parking. It is a deal. The hotel is new and very clean, but that is what I would expect of a Marriott property since I am a rewards member. It is three blocks from Penn Station and an easy walk - in the daytime. I would not suggest walking it at night. When we returned from NY we took a cab, six bucks and well worth it. As others have said, they run a shuttle on the hour until 11PM that stops at Penn Station first then continues to the airport. If you catch the shuttle at the train station for the trip to the hotel, you have to ride to the airport first then back to the hotel. They have a bistro and vending machines. I have to admit the sandwich I had from the vending machine was very good. The lettuce was still crisp. Prices are high - 8.95 for a turkey sandwich. In house Starbucks at the bistro was nice. I want to commend the young lady who was working the bistro Sunday morning. She had a large order to fulfill from a room yet still had the time to wait on folks at the counter and all with a very pleasant smile and engaging and cheerful personality. As others have noted a direct passageway from the garage in not available so you have to ride the elevator to the ground floor and walk around the corner outside to enter the hotel. I could see how some folks might arriving after dark might be concerned. Entrance to the hotel from Broad Street is into a vestibule like area where a security person sits at a desk. You have to take the elevator or steps to get to the check in desk and lobby. This is not an issue for overnight stays with one or two bags. The elevator needs you room key to work also, a very nice security feature. All in all I highly recommend the place. The Courtyard was the third hotel we have stayed in in Newark. For the price it is hard to beat.

Room Tip: Rooms off Broad Street are quiet and, of course, the higher the better.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank freods

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Mass
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

The property is new and fresh. Staff was excellent - it was nice to get a personal message from Matt - one of the assistant managers - with followup responses for my requests - now that is going above and beyond and nice to see from a Courtyard! Nice Job!! Your front desk staff were very friendly and professional. The rooms were spacious and nicely decorated, beds were comfortable and the rooms and hallways impeccably clean.

Parking was a bit confusing as it was off a side street - and no direct access to the hotel (you had to walk around the buildings/corner on busy Broad St) but we found out that direct access to the garage is underway - so that will be a plus. The downtown area is interesting - but it seems that Newark is trying and improvements are underway in the entire City. This is close to the new Red Bulls stadium and an excellent option to stay in the area. We will definitely stay here again and look forward to seeing Newark grow into a blossoming community.

Room Tip: Top floors help buffer any street noise (traffic)... Don't be intimidated by a Downtown Newark l...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Newark_CY_AGM, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
I am thrilled to hear our staff exceeded your expectations and I will be sure to recognize Matt for his customer service. We look forward to having you back in the future.

Nicholas Pappagallo
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

First impression: the street my taxi drove me to: I was really hoping he wasn't stopping to leave me there! But there I was: a short - 6 dollars taxi ride from the airport (or you can wait for the free shuttle but it's only once every hour). Once I step in the hotel (door absolutely unlocked and unsupervised), there is nothing, just a small desk with a sign to proceed upstairs. Once you get upstairs, everything changes: an extraordinarily well kept lobby/small market/snack restaurant/seating area/TVs welcomes you. Yes, it is a giant room, with everything in it, but very well furnished, divided by columns, TVs, desks and it is very welcoming. People were making it even more cheering and the snacks they have are both healthy or not: up to you!
Downside: no free breakfast and you have to stand in line to get any breakfast and the service is not fast. They should have a self serve something, to help those on business (why would you be at that hotel otherwise?). Rooms are very nice, clean, well equipped and elegant. NOISE factor: see tips below. I asked to switch from a King to a Queen room to avoid the noise, they were very accommodating but still, I didn't sleep well. The beds are VERY comfortable and clean. Tip: toiletries only copmprise shampoo, conditioner and bath and had soap, so if you need body lotion, mouth rinse and the like, bring your own!

Room Tip: The King size rooms, very nice because of the bed, overview the busy street (with several Police sir...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Robyuan
Thank you for your review and feedback on the hotel. Traditionally, our security is stationed in the lower lobby of the hotel unless completing rounds throughout the building. If you are back in the future please reach out to our Front Desk for complimentary lotion. Thanks again for your review.

Nicholas Pappagallo
Penrith, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

We planned a holiday to the US starting with a few days in New York. We looked at hotels in the city and they were very pricey (as you'd expect to be fair). So we looked further afield. We found the Courtyard Marriot and decided to go with it, and we were very glad we did. First positive was the free shuttle bus service they offer. They picked us up at the airport and dropped us off directly at the front door to the hotel. The driver was friendly, and he even came into the hotel with us to show us the way to the lobby (on the next floor up).
Second positive was the extremely friendly lady at the reception (I wish I got her name so I could mention it here). She greeted us kindly and was quick and efficient at checking us in. She then explained in great detail about the local area and how to get to NY from the hotel, explaining how close the train station is and explaining that their free shuttle takes you to the station as well.

The room was lovely. Best bed I think I've ever slept in! I wanted to take the bed away with me. Lots of pillows and it was nice to have. Duvets instead of just a sheet and comforter which you find in most hotels. The room had a really big flat screen tv with lots of channels, a mini fridge, tea and coffee making facilities, a good size desk and comfortable desk chair, an arm chair and two queen beds. Lots of pillows also on the beds which was nice. Great view over Newark. The Main Street below us was very busy but it wasn't too noisy. The only thing which let it down was the fact the air con unit was built into the wall under the window so you did get noise coming through the vents.

The en-suite bathroom was very large, clean and modern. Usual bathroom consisting of a bath with overhead shower, and a sink and toilet. Lots of soft towels included. The only thing that let it down was the small amount of soap and shampoo offered. We only had one small bottle of shampoo, one small bottle of body wash and one small bar of soap. One person alone could easily use these small bottles in one use. I know it's easy to ask for more, but considering this was a room for up to four people, one bottle of each is not enough.

The other thing that let the room down was the small amount of coffee, sugar and creamer offered. One pod of regular coffee and one decaf, only two small packets of sugar and just one packet of creamer. We had to ask for more packets of these several times throughout our stay. Surely it's not hard to put a few extra in the room each time.
Also the paper cups seemed very cheap for what was trying to be a bit more upmarket hotel. It can't be hard to provide real cups or mugs and they are so much nicer. They managed to provide glasses for water so why not cups or mugs as well?

The hotel also had a small restaurant near the lobby. Didn't use this service but it looked nice. Not a huge food selection but it all sounded nice, and staff were pleasant. I believe you could also get breakfast here but again I didn't use this. There was also a little shop in the lobby with a good selection of snacks and drinks.

Checkout was quick and pleasant. Got the free shuttle service to the airport and because we were the only people on it and we were picking up a hire car, the driver took us directly to our car centre, saving us having to get the airport train instead. He was brilliant.

The area the hotel is in some may consider a little unsafe, but I thought most of it was fine. It got fairly quiet at night, and there was always a guard at the entrance. And the doors are locked after 11pm and only people with a card key can get in.

If anyone is planning a trip to New York, I can't recommend this hotel enough.

Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Mark T
Greensboro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

The hotel is great! The only complaint is the access to parking. It's nearby nut it's public parking and only the 5th floor is available to hotel guests. When coming and going in the evening I needed an escort. The hotel will have security escort you but I wasn't told when I checked in.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for your review Marsha G. You might be interested to hear that we are in works with the parking garage to build a pass-through from the garage directly in to the hotel lobby. While we do not have an exact completion date I will be happy to let you know when this is complete if you would like to reach out to me when making future reservations.

All The Best,

Matt Garber
Assistant General Manager
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

First, the hotel itself is clean and looks fairly new. The staff is friendly and it is a short taxi ride from Newark airport and Penn station. However, the surrounding area is a little sketchy and I would not walk outside the hotel during the night.

1 Thank zxrst
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a few times and love it. The hotel offers complimentary shuttle service from and to the airport and train station and is located right in the heart of Newark.
I pick this hotel as it is convenient to get into NYC. From the hotel it's only about a 10 minute walk to the train station and from there you can take the NJ Transit or PATH right into Manhattan and Madison Square Garden. The hotel is clean, new, and hundreds of dollars less per night than anything comparable in NYC.
I've found the staff to be helpful, friendly and competent and the rooms to be clean and fresh.
The hotel is located right on a main highway so there is some street noise but asking for a higher floor will mitigate some of that.
I look forward to my next trip to New York and Newark and I'll be staying at this hotel!

1 Thank PassTravelF00l