“Ideal for a short stay in Newark”

Courtyard Newark Downtown
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I've stayed at the Courtyard a few times when doing an overnight stay to watch the Red Bulls. The hotel is a short walk from Newark Penn train station. It's pretty new with a nice lobby to hang out at night which is ideal as the neighborhood is not really one for strolling after dark. Both service and the rooms are at the upper range for a courtyard and there is a small gym with limited equipment inside the hotel.

Nearby there are a number of food options such as Dinosaur BBQ, and Joe's Crab Shack. It also looks like there will be more casual yet nice options opening in the near future.

Another bonus is the proximity to the Ironbound district with its plethora of spanish, portuguese, and brazilian food and entertainment as well as the Newark museum which is a little gem.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Newark_CY_AGM, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thank you for your comments. I agree there are many great restaurants located near the hotel, especially in the Ironbound District. We are also thrilled that Joe's Crab Shack recently opened on the ground floor of the hotel.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Newark Downtown

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Was really liking this hotel until we decided to grab a burger at the Bistro. Ordered a burger which was really pretty good. We ate the burger and decided we wanted coffee. Other hotel guest started coming down for eats. We had to wait until every other person was served until the person attending the counter started on the coffee which was was all of 30 minutes or more.( no exaggerating). I am not blaming the one person in the front and the one person we saw in the back but if Marrriot is going to have a "Bistro Restaurant" it should at least be staffed with more than 2 people. The front person had to bring orders to the tables for each person and make alcoholic drinks etc. - too much for the staff present. We should not have had to wait that long. Other than this incident and the less than desirable neighborhood the hotel itself is a good place to stay if you are attending a Prudential event. We loved hanging out in the lobby lots of seating and TVs. We didn't use the parking and I can understand why the lobby is on the second floor and security on the 1st floor. Rooms modern and fairly clean except for a few hairs on floor in bathroom and floor felt stickey.

• Stayed: October 2013

I greatly appreciate your feedback. I am glad to see you enjoyed your dinner in the Bistro and apologize for any delays you experienced getting your coffee. We will be sure to use this as a training tool with the staff.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Was in Newark for work, great location, clean new safe hotel. Good friendly staff, a pleasant surprise. Quiet solid building was also happy to do my own laundry. Had a comfy lounge & decent exercise room.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I had been planning a college visit trip with my son to NYC, Brooklyn & Pennsylvania. I figured to fly in to Newark and then take trains to different colleges. I was swayed by the Hotel's proximity to Newark's Penn Station since I thought it to be a 15 to 20 minute walk. Reading past reviews I was a little concerned about the surroundings. I could have not being so wrong, the shuttle form the airport was quick, at the front desk we were immediately greeted with a warm smile and directions to the second floor lobby. Gabrielle was on duty and remembered speaking with me the day prior to arrival. I cannot say enough about how professional and sweet she was. Found my reservations, went over the details of my booking and gave me information about services such as happy hour, restaurant hours, breakfast hours, amenities and shuttle services not only to the airport but to Penn Station as well. Room was clean, comfy and quiet. Every member of hotel staff was amazingly friendly and warm, housekeepers, front desk, shuttle driver, restaurant staff, simply AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!! I travel for my company and this hotel staff has beaten lots of recent stays at other Marriott and Hilton properties. Keep the good work guys.

Room Tip: If you are traveling to the city, know noise will be there and no one can control it.
1  Thank Sal T
Newark_CY_AGM, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thank you for your feedback, we will be sure to recognize Gabrielle for her efforts.

GM

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I had a chance to stay at the Courtyard at the start of my recent trip to New York. Since it was relatively last minute, the places in the city were crazy expensive and I was getting in pretty late. I was originally going to stay by the Newark airport, but decided since the Courtyard had a free shuttle, and I had to go to the WTC area of lower Manhattan in the morning, being close to Newark Penn and the PATH was my best alternative.

I was a little worried by the neighborhood which despite the pockets (like the hotel) of gentrification, it is still in the heart of Newark. The hotel is relatively new and has all the amenities of the newer Courtyards. The rooms were surprisingly large and spacious and the hotel is a 5-10 minute walk to Newark Penn (not horrible during the day, but still a little sketchy).

The workout room also has plenty of new equipment which is always key when away from home.

My only complaint was that my room was on the street side and they were jackhammering for a big part of the night (luckily the building was pretty sound proof so I was able to eventually fall asleep.

One thing I would like to point out was that I realized after leaving (and I didn't have time to come back due to a flight and work I needed to do) that I left something valuable at the hotel. I called right away and spoke to Nick who immediately went up to my room, retrieved the article and kept it safe for me until I could get back a few days later. I thought for sure it was lost but was more than pleasantly surprised by the speed and willingness to look for it and secure it for me. Having lost my share of stuff on planes and at hotels where it never turns up, I was really pleased they could save me from myself! Awesome job!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank DAL504

Thank you for your posting and it was our pleasure assisitng you with your lost belonging.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed here this past Sunday night as my daughter and her friend were going to a concert at the Prudential center and we live 2 hrs from Newark. A couple of days before we arrived, Matt Garber, the asst general manager emailed me to welcome us and give us the address for the parking garage which is right around the corner. I took the opportunity to email him back to make sure I would be able to get to the garage before a concert and also to ask for a quiet room as the girls would need to sleep in. He assured me that I could get to the garage and also that he had booked a room on the quieter side of the hotel. We parked on the top floor of the garage, near the elevator, and took that down to the street. There was a valet person available, which we didn't need, who was assisting another party with their luggage in the garage. Short walk around corner to hotel where we checked in with a very nice young man. Room was perfect for us. Bathroom had a walk in oversized shower instead of a tub which we really liked. Room was nice a quiet. When we left the next day, I presented my parking ticket to the garage attendant and that was it. The front desk person had stamped it so there was no charge for parking. This morning I received another email this time from the general manager Mr Pappagallo thanking us for staying at the hotel. I have never received such attention from a Marriott, and that is our preferred family hotel chain. We ate at the Joe's Crab Shack which we enjoyed. We definitely will stay here again if visiting the area and that includes NYC! Thank you so much for a great stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if possible
1  Thank happytrailsEaston_CT
Newark_CY_AGM, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you for your review, we look forward to having you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Newark, once the crime capital of America, is still not a great place to walk around. Myself and two friends were in town for a conference at Radio City Music Hall in NYC, and rather than drive around in the city, we decided to stay at this hotel in Newark because of its proximity to Newark Penn Station. We counted on taking the free hotel shuttle to the station each day until we learned that it only departed once per hour. This never lined up with our schedule so we ended up walking to the station each day, which was about a 15-minute walk through Newark. We did not feel very safe walking through the area, especially as we got back after 10pm each night and had to walk back to the hotel. If the hotel had shuttles every 30 minutes it would have made it a lot better. When we arrived we stood at what we thought was the front desk for a long time before another guest who was leaving told us the lobby was on the second floor. There was no one at the desk on the first floor and nothing else directing us up to the second floor except a sign that we would never have noticed. The parking was convenient yet expensive. The deck is basically attached to the backside of the hotel, but it is a public deck shared with the Prudential Center. These things aside, our room was very clean and comfortable. The TV was much larger than many hotel TVs I've experienced, and actually had HD channels as opposed to those rooms with HDTVs but no HD channels. The bathroom was very spacious, and the beds were very comfortable. The air conditioning was great and there was nothing negative about the room overall. We never needed to call the front desk for anything. We went to the small snack shop in the lobby one night and found the prices to be outrageous, so we relied on our own snacks we had brought. There were several restaurants nearby including a Joe's Crab Shack next door and several local places to eat, but we never utilized these simply due to the fact that we didn't feel safe walking around in the neighborhood. Overall, I think this was a great stay, however, anyone booking this hotel due to its proximity to Newark Penn Station should definitely plan for the shuttle to only leave at the top of every hour to avoid walking. It doesn't look like that far of a walk, but it is when you're constantly looking over your shoulder.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank jlmusic
Newark_CY_AGM, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. In reference to the shuttle service, you are correct our shuttle runs once an hour from 5AM to 11PM and leaves at the top of the hour during that time frame. If those times do not work for you please see our Front Desk for additional options. We hope to see you again soon!