“Best Hotel in Newark”

Courtyard Newark Downtown
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed at this new property over Thanksgiving weekend. I must say that although the property is rated by Marriott as a 3-star, I think it deserves an extra star. The property is new and still has a new property feel. The rooms are well-appointed and very comfortable. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my room had a glass shower rather than a bathtub. This is something I wish more properties would install. I always prefer the shower to the shower/tub combo and I look for hotels that have it. I usually only find it in high-end properties, but this Courtyard has them.

Another point in favor of this property is free wifi in every room. There is an option to pay a small amount for faster wifi, but the free wifi is sufficient for web surfing and email.

The property is very convenient to downtown Newark and Newark Airport, thus it is a good choice for business travelers. It sits on Broad St and directly behind Prudential Center, therefore it is ideal for events at that venue.

If I had any criticism of this property it would be that there is no direct access from the parking garage to the hotel. The garage entrance is around the corner from the hotel and you have to exit the garage and turn the corner to access the hotel. This is not ideal when carrying luggage. It's not much of a walk from garage to hotel, but still, they would benefit from direct access.

I am a very frequent traveler to NJ and usually stay at the higher-end properties in Jersey City and drive into Newark. But with this property now available, I will choose this over the Hyatt, W, and Westin in the Jersey City/Hoboken area. Those are 4-star properties, but I honestly think this Courtyard is equal to them.

In short, this is a very good hotel at a good price.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank WCYinHouston
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

What an excellent review! We're so excited to have become your preferred hotel when you're in the area. We are also working on a pass-thru that will connect the hotel to the parking garage, so we do plan to have that done in the near future. Thanks again.

Regards,

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard last weekend for a birthday trip to NY with some friends! I have personally worked for Hilton and Sheraton hotels for a number of years so my standards are pretty high. I must tell you, this hotel is fantastic. It's super clean, everyone is extremely friendly and the location couldn't be better being so close to NJ Penn Station to make the commute into NY a breeze. They even have a regular shuttle back and for to Penn Station for guests! I left my Ipod in my room when we checked out and I freaked out thinking that certainly someone would take it.....absolutely not! I was put in touch with the Lost & Found team and in minutes they located my Ipod and made arrangements to get it back to me! I will certainly stay at this hotel again! They have my full recoommendation to anyone looking to stay in NJ or conveniently near NY for a decent rate without the NY prices!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 13CD
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for this awesome review C D. I'm so glad we exceeded your expectations here and that we were able to re-connect you with your lost belonging. We appreciate your recommendations and hope we see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights to attend a conference at Rutgers University. The hotel is within walking distance to its Newark campus. Based on the information we gathered, it is safe to walk during the day. But one should avoid walking at night, especially not alone. The hotel is new and everything inside the hotel is nice and clean. Every staff member that we came to contact with, either over the phone or in person, provided excellent service to us. We also received wonderful service through emails before and after the trip from managers that we did not meet. We will definitely recommend this hotel to others and will stay there in the future if we visit the area.
P.S., we did not visit the fitness center nor the swimming pool.

Room Tip: The parking garage is not connected to the hotel so you have to walk a very short distance on the st...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank fromsouthjersey
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Hello fromsouthjersey,

Thanks for your superb review. Our team takes much pride in the service we strive to provide to each guest and I'm glad you had excellent experiences with each staff member you encountered. I hope next time you and your husband are here you find some time to enjoy our large, spacious fitness center.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I spent 2 nights here with a friend and it was great. The rooms were clean, spacious, and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. The Queen beds were very comfortable, and the restroom was spacious enough for 2 people. The HD TV was cool and the hotel had actual HD channels to show on the HD TV. I was very happy with the room.

I had breakfast at the Bistro and they give you a lot of food, but it was delicious.

The lobby was really nice to look at and there were a great amount of comfortable chairs to sit in. The staff that worked there were very nice and professional.

One caveat though: we shared a room that was facing Broad Street, which got very noisy at night. It disturbed my sleep very much on the first night because there was construction outside. Make sure you get a room facing away from Broad Street. You'll sleep better.

Room Tip: Rooms on the opposite side of Broad Street are probably quieter. Try to get those.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Isabel G

Thank you for your feedback Isabel G. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time here with us. I'll be sure to share your glowing review with our staff. If you return to the area please feel free to reach out to me prior to your arrival so I can ensure I reserve you an extra quiet room.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 2 November 2013

I've stayed at the Courtyard a few times when doing an overnight stay to watch the Red Bulls. The hotel is a short walk from Newark Penn train station. It's pretty new with a nice lobby to hang out at night which is ideal as the neighborhood is not really one for strolling after dark. Both service and the rooms are at the upper range for a courtyard and there is a small gym with limited equipment inside the hotel.

Nearby there are a number of food options such as Dinosaur BBQ, and Joe's Crab Shack. It also looks like there will be more casual yet nice options opening in the near future.

Another bonus is the proximity to the Ironbound district with its plethora of spanish, portuguese, and brazilian food and entertainment as well as the Newark museum which is a little gem.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Newark_CY_AGM, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thank you for your comments. I agree there are many great restaurants located near the hotel, especially in the Ironbound District. We are also thrilled that Joe's Crab Shack recently opened on the ground floor of the hotel.

Nicholas Pappagallo

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Was really liking this hotel until we decided to grab a burger at the Bistro. Ordered a burger which was really pretty good. We ate the burger and decided we wanted coffee. Other hotel guest started coming down for eats. We had to wait until every other person was served until the person attending the counter started on the coffee which was was all of 30 minutes or more.( no exaggerating). I am not blaming the one person in the front and the one person we saw in the back but if Marrriot is going to have a "Bistro Restaurant" it should at least be staffed with more than 2 people. The front person had to bring orders to the tables for each person and make alcoholic drinks etc. - too much for the staff present. We should not have had to wait that long. Other than this incident and the less than desirable neighborhood the hotel itself is a good place to stay if you are attending a Prudential event. We loved hanging out in the lobby lots of seating and TVs. We didn't use the parking and I can understand why the lobby is on the second floor and security on the 1st floor. Rooms modern and fairly clean except for a few hairs on floor in bathroom and floor felt stickey.

• Stayed: October 2013

I greatly appreciate your feedback. I am glad to see you enjoyed your dinner in the Bistro and apologize for any delays you experienced getting your coffee. We will be sure to use this as a training tool with the staff.

Nicholas Pappagallo

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Was in Newark for work, great location, clean new safe hotel. Good friendly staff, a pleasant surprise. Quiet solid building was also happy to do my own laundry. Had a comfy lounge & decent exercise room.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business