“I recently stayed at the brand new Courtyard Marriott in Newark. What a nice surprise to find in the middle of the city.”

Courtyard Newark Downtown
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I must first say THANK YOU to Matt Garber (Assistant General Manager) his online communication was impeccable.
I recently stayed at the brand new Courtyard Marriott in Newark. What a nice surprise to find in the middle of the city. The hotel is right in the heart of the city; about 2 blocks away from market street where there's plenty of local shops. Very nice, clean, updated hotel. Some of the reviews may have you concerned with the area. I never felt unsafe during my stay here. However, for this location this place definitely stands out. The area is up and coming.
Brain was extremely friendly and informative during the check in process. Within minutes I was on my way to my room. The room itself was very spacious and well kept. Was very impressed by the size of the room - very large and spacious room, two queen beds with plenty of room to move around and a huge flat screen TV.
The beds were very comfortable and there were nice soft or hard pillows to choose from. The room was well kept and overlooked the main street (Broad Street). I was in room 714.
I had a chance to dine in the restaurant for breakfast. I had French toast which was made to order, with some Starbucks. Off the top of my head I can’t remember the cost, but the quality of the food was excellent, hot and fresh. The staff coffee (Solanlly) brought the food right to my table, with a smile, very courteous and friendly.
There is a free shuttle that can drop/pick-up at Penn Station. If you're planning to return late night to Newark Penn station, I recommend a $7 taxi ride to the hotel. Morning walks to the station from the hotel are fine. Parking at the hotel is not free, which is typical around here.
Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling for business or staying a few nights in the city. It's centrally located and you can get a taxi quite easily around the city.
Great job Courtyard!

Room Tip: Request the highest floor - I was on the 7th and did not have any street noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank SafetyByHcom

Reviewed 8 June 2014

The staff were extremely friendly and warm during the check in process. Within minutes I was on my way to my room. The room itself was very spacious and well kept. I had a double room with two very good sized beds and a huge flat screen TV. There was plenty of space to move around and have several pieces of luggage. The bathroom was also very big and spacious.

The bed was very comfortable and there were nice soft pillows to choose from. The room was well kept and overlooked the main street (Broad street). The walls tend to be a bit thin, so if someone is playing loud music you can hear it.

I had a chance to dine in the restaurant for breakfast. I had an egg white omelette sandwich which was made to order, with some Starbucks coffee. The cost was about $8. A bit pricey, but you are in the hotel. The quality of the food was excellent, hot and fresh. The staff brought the food right to your table, with a smile. Very courteous and friendly.

The surrounding area can bit a bit loud at night, music, talking etc. I was only about 3 floors up, perhaps if you are up higher you may not hear the noise.

Great job Courtyard!

Room Tip: Floors higher up maybe less noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

My time was too good an excellent choice. The excellent staff and I want to know the work of the reception, girl of Dominican yelly accent. Excellent, thank you. I recommend it. Put more options of food in market.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My adult daughter and I stayed two nights at the hotel before going on a cruise from Cape Liberty NJ. We were glad to have the convenience of the shuttle from the airport, the walk to Penn Station so short, and the few restaurants around the corner by the Prudential building so friendly. We were out during the day and felt safe. All the hotel staff were very helpful, the food in the cafe in the hotel very good. We would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room faced the street. There were sirens during the night but we have the same at home.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Heather B
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at plenty of 5 stars hotels before, as well as some last minute dive like hotels, so I am well versed in proper hotel communication and customer service.

It was about noon and i was waiting for my hubby to meet me at the hotel to check in as the room was in his name n he was paying. I was using the free computer in the lobby for guests to kill time waiting for my hubby. The security guard approached me asking if I was a guest and I told him we were checking in shortly once my hubby came. He asked his name and I kindly gave it to him. After about 10 minutes he approached me again stating the PC was for guests only and since the room was under my husbands name I was technically not a guest.

I was asked to get off the computer and had 5 min to do so. I was disgraced!! Even if my name is not the name on the res I am still a guest and should b treated with the the same respect. It was quite embarrassing and just turned me off from wanting to even stay there. How could they not allow a guest who is paying to stay for 1 week at $200/night denied free computer use while waiting to check in.

I'd rather spend my money elsewhere instead of paying all that to stay in a poverty stricken area where I hear gun shots n sirens at all hours!!

• Stayed: May 2014
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey of our hotel LadyD81. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced when using our business center computers. All guests of our hotel have the right to use our complimentary business center and I will be sure to review your posting with our security team.

Respectfully,
Matt Garber
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The hotel was great if you look at it in a vacuum - standard Courtyard Marriott offering with great amenities. Gym, airport shuttle, 24 hr market place, free internet, lounge and bar etc. Rooms, beds, toilets etc are extremely clean. We were glad to come back to it every night! Just be mindful of the locality - it's situated (in my opinion) in a very depressed neighborhood with police sirens wailing all the time. If you're a person who is sensitive to loud sirens all through the night, this is NOT the place for you. Luckily for us, we are a bunch of heavy sleepers; but we still woke up with loud sirens 3-4 times through the 2 nights that we stayed. Parking is convenient although not attached. If you're planning to return late night to Newark Penn station, I recommend a $7 taxi ride to the hotel. Morning walks to the station from the hotel are fine. Lots of parking around the area; 1 or 2 decent places to eat although (again) its NOT a place to go out 'fine dining' in the evening!

Room Tip: Pick a room AWAY from Broad street. Rooms are spacious; we had the one with 2 queen.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel Monish S. While I'm glad you enjoyed the many complimentary amenities the hotel offers I apologize for any disturbance the city noise may have caused you during your stay. I would also be happy to personally recommend some excellent fine dining restaurants that are just a short cab ride away. We hope to see you again.

Best wishes,

Matt Garber
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Right next to Prudential center, this place was perfect for a graduation overnight stay last week. Was very impressed by the size of the room - very large and spacious room, two queen beds with plenty of room to move around. Beds were comfortable, bathroom decent - overall a very comfortable stay.

There was a parking garage just around the corner. And Prudential Center was less than 1 block away.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family