“Disappointed and Disgusting”

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Philadelphia, PA
“Disappointed and Disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Of all the hotels in the Newark airport area, this is by far the worst I have ever stayed in. Check in was not pleasant. The guy at reception had a very poor attitude and acted like he was doing me a favor (by doing his job no less). My request for 2 double beds was summarily ignored (reservation was made weeks before). Told that there was only 1 king bed and a pullout available. Parking was around back. It was not very pleasant entering through the back entrance. There were several guests hanging out by the back smoking and using very foul language. Without being judgmental, I did wonder if this property perhaps has homeless people or section 8 housing temporarily staying here. The appearance of these unfortunate guests was making my younger one anxious and feel unsafe. Elevator and hallway on the first floor were filthy. Room was okay size, but very basic. The pullout was terrible, mattress was very thin, you could feel springs poking through and not comfortable at all. Asked for another blanket and told what we had was it. While downstairs at reception asking for another blanket, I heard another reception agent ask a guest checking in if they would like a king or double, so I guess I was given the wrong information there were doubles available. Three of us ended up cramming into the king. Not very restful at all.
Breakfast in the morning was a complete zoo. Not enough tables, food was running out and not very clean. Staff seemed overwhelmed. We decided to skip breakfast here and ate on the road. Upon checkout, I was charged for parking. My rate rules show that self-parking is included (there is no valet). I was told that that was incorrect and that parking is always charged regardless. I asked then why was does it say self parking in the rate rules (I was using a corporate rate). The reception agent told me that just means they have self parking not that it is included. I disagree. No other Marriott would be as deceptive as this. Self parking would be in the description not in the rate rules where it clearly states rate includes: "0.2 miles to office, includes breakfast, wired high-speed Internet, wireless Internet, self parking, airport transportation." She ended up removing the charge but only after some back and forth.
Had this been my first stay at a Springhill Suites I would avoid this chain like the plague, but I have stayed in others which were much much better. This property is not representative and is probably as low as it gets. Poor staff attitudes, not clean, not enough staff and food at breakfast, bare minimum bedding and deceptive rates. Definitely not recommended. I will be following up with Marriott corporate on these plus some other issues encountered during this horrible stay.

3 Thank aerobik1
Mikolt B, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Aerobik1,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to the SpringHill Suites, Newark Liberty. I am disappointed to hear of the issues that you encountered and can assure you that they are certainly not typical of the high standards we set for ourselves in these regards; guest requests should always be honored within reason. We take reservation accuracy and Customer Service very seriously and work hard to ensure a problem free experience for each of our guests; with that being said, admittedly, we sometimes fall short. I apologize sincerely for any inconvenience created by the issues that you encountered. The reason a guest may have been offered a double or king room is due to the fact they may have been checking out before or after you which therefore meant there was availability.
In regards to your comments about parking, Self-Parking as in all Marriott properties’ means you are able to park your car yourself rather than a valet service being offered. The parking rates for our property are displayed on our website and on any third party sites. I apologize you were not aware of this prior to arriving.
Thank you again for your feedback. I hope that you will allow us another opportunity in the future to demonstrate the high level of service that our guests have come to expect from the SpringHill Suites, Newark Liberty.
SHSDOS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Cincinnati, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel one night pre-cruise. Be very careful if you are using a taxi to get to the hotel. Our bill from Newark Penn Station to the hotel was $65! It seems the problem was that the address used for the hotel in the Marriott app is not supported by the GPS software of some taxi companies. With respect to the hotel, it was very, very basic. Rooms seemed like dorm rooms. Common areas were nice and the included breakfast was similar to other expanded continental breakfast offerings.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Mikolt B, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Twinsrbetter,

I am sorry to hear of the astronomical bill you paid for the short cab ride to the hotel. In the future, kindly contact the hotel and we will recommend a reputable car service as taxis are rare and unreliable in the area.
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed two different times. We had totally different experiences. I feel it's only fair to write two separate reviews. We prepaid for a room with two double beds and a sofa sleeper. We checked in at 11 pm June 23. When I checked in we were told that the only room that was left was a hearing impaired room and wheelchair accessible room. Please don't get me wrong I am very happy that they have rooms available for people who need them. It just wasn't for us. When I asked them why they gave our room away they said it was because we were checking in late.What got me is that we waited 1 hour for the shuttle to pick us up. I said that we PREPAID for our room and that is what I wanted. They said they couldn't give it to us. We had no choice, but to accept the room. I was upset because I had PREPAID for our room and that is what I wanted. The front desk told me that I am still getting my room because it had 2 double beds and a sofa sleeper. The bathroom is set up for a wheel chair. The floor is all tile and has a drain in the middle of it. When you take a shower it floods the entire bathroom. We had to try and clean it up using all of our towels. It was still wet.We had four people that needed to take a shower. The towels didn't go very far. The mirror in the bathroom is titled down and is a little hard to use. I really wanted a tub/shower combo and this was not it. The reason I was upset was because I had PREPAID for a different room and they gave it away. When we went to check out I complained to the front desk. They said I still got a room with 2 double beds and a sofa sleeper. This is true, but I PREPAID for a room with a shower/tub combo. He told me to put a block on the room when I make reservations so they can't give it away. This is policy in the hotel industry. WHAT? When I make a reservation and especially when I PREPAY for a room I expect to get that room. I will say that the front desk tried to make it right. They gave us a 25% discount on our room. I did appreciate this and felt that was good customer service. We did stay here again because we had a reservation that we PREPAID for. I asked them to make sure that they put a block on our room. They did do this and we got our room. Please read my other post. We had a much better experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you put a block on your reservation so you can get the room you reserved.
2 Thank HeidiS123
Dear HeidiS123,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to the SpringHill Suites, Newark Liberty and thank you for your continued loyalty. I am disappointed to hear of the issues that you encountered and can assure you that they are certainly not typical of the high standards we set for ourselves in these regards. We take reservation accuracy very seriously and work hard to ensure a problem free experience for each of our guests; with that being said, admittedly, we sometimes fall short. I apologize sincerely for any inconvenience created by the issues that you encountered.

Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We needed a place to crash for a really quick jaunt up to NYC. This met the need and I was able to get a good night's rest to boot.
I've read some complaints about the directions to the hotel or people having problems finding it. I have to say, those are the people that make me have to repent when I encounter them on the streets. You have to be a pretty sorry driver to not be able to navigate this place. Either that or have little to no common sense. There are signs everywhere!
The location was great for us as it was easily accessible from the NJT. The cost was great as well and the rooms for comfy and clean. I'm a stickler for cleanliness and refuse to stay in a nasty location. I was more than content to stay here.
There was no food option nearby but it wasn't a desolate wasteland if you have a vehicle. If not, well, I don't know what to tell you.
My one complaint was the small area in which the continental breakfast was served. There was a mob of people trying to eat in a very small space and the staff manning the buffet was obviously overwhelmed. No fresh fruit and you had to wait to have tables long since abandoned cleaned so you could sit down and eat. Hire more staff.
If you want a clean, comfortable, reasonable place to stay, I'd recommend the Springhill Suites.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights in a suite with a fantastic view of the NYC skyline in the distance. Shuttle service was good. Breakfast was better than expected with a good range of food on offer and constantly replenished. Staff were friendly and helpful during the entire stay. And the chupa chups on reception was a lovely touch!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Fairport, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Friendly helpful personable staff! Hard to get to but reasonably priced, clean, roomy & safe. No on site restaurant but several local places will deliver. Fridge, large screen TV & wet bar. I'd stay there again. Right across the street from the airport & minutes from downtown.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank mszwny
Woodridge NY, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Staff is great love the food and the Jacuzzi. All the rooms are really, The pool area is great. pillow are are soft, and its very close to the mall area, top floor get a change to see the airplanes very close

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business