“Old Fashioned European Service”

Forno's of Spain Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Forno's of Spain Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 609 Restaurants in Newark
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: North Ironbound
Cross street: Union Street
Transit: We are located a two blocks away from Newark Penn Station and New Jersey Transit, which is walking distance.
Description: Fornos of Spain is an award winning Spanish restaurant located in Newark. For an authentic taste of fine Spanish dining, we welcome you to Fornos! **We now provide pickup and return shuttle services to all hotel guests in the Newark area. All guests have to do is call the restaurant. Monday-Thursday, 5pm - 11pm.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

When ever my wife and I return on a flight into Newark Airport we always stop here. The service is second to none. It's not cheap but you get large portions and lots of extras, fresh salad, olives, rice, etc. Our favorite dish is the boiled octopus with sea salt, paprika and the house potato chips (fried sliced potatoes). We been all over the world and I can't thing of another restaurant where the octopus was better, maybe as good in Madrid, but not better.

1  Thank Ring23

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Forno's is a very popular restaurant that is always crowded so definitely make a reservation unless you are planning to arrive after 10:00 pm when you will not need one. I used to come here often with my family and the food was always excellent. I haven't been here in about 12 years but decided to have dinner here with my daughter after seeing a recent concert at the NJPAC. It was 10:15 pm & no wait for a table. I had an apple martini which was excellent. The dinner prices are not cheap. The average price for dinner is $30.00 per entrée however they give you tons of food. Every meal comes with: bread, assorted olives, salad, yellow rice, vegetable, potato "chips". I ordered the seared tuna which was very good. Portion was large & it was perfectly seared. My daughter had the shrimp in green sauce. I always remembered the green sauce to be delicious. Something changed as the green sauce was bland & tasteless as were the small tasteless shrimp. Portion was not very big. Very disappointed with this dish.
The coffee was good as was the flan we split for desert. There was a lot of food. All the side dishes were very good. I would have given Forno's a "Good" rating but the only choice was average or very good thus the average rating.
Expect to get a lot of food. Dinner for my daughter & I was $88.00which included only 1 drink (not including the tip) so dining here is quite pricey. As for the entrees, it seems to be hit or miss. At least with all of the side dishes you won't starve if you don't enjoy your main course. Service was good.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

First there is ample parking on premise, which is a big deal in this "down neck" of Newark NJ. It is a large place with a long bar. In a previous visit I ate at the bar and it was a delightful experience. This visit we were six people on a Friday night. The menu is long and the waiter will tell you about the many specials. I had the piaya which was simply delicious. The portion could have been split with another person. Others ordered the veal shank and everyone was pleased with their selection. They served a salad, bread and olives upon your sitting. The wait staff are helpful and you are not rushed. We order Sandria and it was perfect. For the most part it is a local crowd. This area is also know as the iron bound section of Newark because it is surrounded by railroads. It is a very safe area of Newark populated primarily by Portuguese and Spaniards.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This place is outstanding in every way possible. The staff is super nice. Everything I have ever ordered here was perfect. I don't like sangria but was urged to try it by everyone at our table and it was really good. Their wine list is very extensive. Love the salad they bring out for the table also. I adore this restaurant and can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This place is always packed, reservations recommended, go kinda hungry. I say this because it's pricey, but anything on the menu will be sure to please, the atmosphere is seemingly authentic Spain, and you could easily eat out of budget with the fine fare offered here. Love this place, Atmosphere, Service, FOOD and great drinks,( I found out the hard way with a bottle of vintage wine)

Been to Forno's of Spain Restaurant? Share your experiences!