“Yummy!!!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Takeout
Coral Springs, Florida
“Yummy!!!”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I was born in Newark and My father grew up in Newark. Every time we visit family, we always stop at Dickie Dee's which has been around since my pop's was young. Everything is delicious! The pizza, the hotdogs, the sausage. This isnt the place for those watching their calories, strictly for foodies! My husband got the hot dog sausage combo last time and inhaled it! A must do when visiting Newark!

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank MrsHinton

New Jersey
“I FINALLY got to Dickie Dee's!”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

If you've read some of my other reviews, you already know about New Jersey hot dog cuisine, and especially Italian hot dogs, which are a specialty in and around Newark.

A few years ago at a high school reunion I ran into an old classmate I hadn't seen in years. We stayed in touch by email. We're both foodies, and we especially reminisced about the junk foods of our mis-spent youth. He worked at one of the local colleges, and still had lots of opportunities to indulge in Newark specialties, including Dickie Dee's. I had never been there, and we had vague plans to some day dine there together. Unfortunately, he passed away before we could do that.

My preference had always been Jimmy Buff's Italian hot dogs, but I wanted to try Dickie Dee's. I went looking for it on Bloomfield Ave a few times, but couldn't find it. Then I recently learned that another friend moved to a big north Newark apartment complex right near Dickie Dee's, and he goes there often. Finally … someone else to guide me there!

First, Dickie Dee's is like the Italian hot dog emporiums of my youth. You can watch your hot dog being cooked, separated from the trough of hot oil only by a glass partition. And Dickie Dee's is BUSY! Even on a Saturday mid-afternoon there was a long line of people waiting to order.

The pizza roll my double dog was served on was bigger and softer than the rolls Buff's uses … better to absorb excess oil. The onions and peppers are sliced much finer, and are not nearly as al dente as at Buff's. The potatoes are cut in chunks instead of Buff's slices. Everything was delish, except that perhaps I should have asked for my hot dog to be well done.

Unlike Buff's who only serves hot dog and sausage sandwiches, Dickie Dee's also has pizza. We didn't try it, but the one at the next table looked good.

And drinks at Dickie Dee's are a surprise. Instead of the usual Coke or Pepsi products, Dickie Dee's has only RC Cola, an old favorite I haven't had in years.

The store itself looks like it has not changed in fifty years. That means that the knotty pine walls are preserved in an extra coat of beige cooking oil.

And now I know why I could never find Dickie Dee's. I knew it is a small corner store, but where? I thought it was on the north side of Bloomfield Ave, just east of Branch Brook Park. Turns out that its actually on the south side of Bloomfield just west of Branch Brook.

Both Jimmy Buff's and Dickie Dee's got their start in north Newark. Buff's moved to the suburbs years ago, but Dickie Dee's is still right there where they started. If for no other reason, try Dickie Dee's just to experience what the old Italian north Newark neighborhood was and still is. Make an event of it, and after you've eaten, go across the street and sample some pastries at Calandra's Italian Bakery.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank UneasyRider
New Jersey
“Piece of Old North Side”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I have been coming here for probably 50years to enjoy a good old Newark Style Italian Dog.Since I moved I have not been able to come as often,but I had an appointment nearby,so I had to stop for lunch.It still is a great stop,Building doesn't look great,but is clean inside.The walls are covered in memorabilia and pictures of celebrities who have stopped in.The old owner from when i was a boy was still there and greeted me warmly.I told him I have been coming for many years and he thanked me.
Food is still the same,dogs are still the best,a little grease but not soggy.potatoes crispy.bread fresh.Service is prompt and friendly.As a lifetime customer,it certainly brings back memories of my boyhood.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank tojo72
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Italian hotdog period!”
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Been going there since the 60's! Never had a bad meal ever. Always ordered more than one double dog. Moving to NC soon and will miss this place.

1 Thank jwz87
Short Hills, New Jersey
“Fantastic Italian Hot Dogs”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The best Italian Hot Dogs in Essex County!! Fresh bread. Non-greasy. Fresh Potatoes!

2 Thank webjd