“Good overnight stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cape Breton Island, Canada
“Good overnight stay”
Reviewed 23 June 2008

It is true the hotel is hard to find but once you get there it is so convenient to ewr. Free shuttle to airport and only about a 5 minute drive. Clean comfortable rooms, comfortable beds, balcony/patio doors. Indoor pool and hot tub, but hot tub wasn't working got to use the pool a bit before it was over taken by unruly kids then moved to outdoor lounge chairs.
There is a lot of airport noise but I am used to that anyway so didn't really notice it much.
There is a nice lounge area and a small restaurant. The food and staff at the restaurant were excellent and the drinks were great. There is a computer area also in the lobby for use. They put out ice tea, lemonade and cookies in the evening but I missed the cookies as I believe the unruly children grabbed them all.
I did not have a problem with my car, no break-ins. As for it being in a bad neighborhood..well it isn't really in a neighborhood it's just 3 hotels off the highway, in fact my mother and I went for a walk around the area. Though then again I live in Philly so maybe my idea of a bad neighborhood is diffrerent from others.
It definitely was a pleasant stay and served it's purpose for a one night stay before a flight.

• Liked — the restaurant staff and food
  • Disliked — broken hot tub
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Arkansas
Reviewed 14 June 2008

Stayed here for one night using reward points after a vacation in New York City. We had a driver take us here and used the free shuttle to get to the airport. Room was large and comfortable for the four of us, but rather noisy, both from toilets flushing and doors closing, and also from traffic noise. Internet access is wired which was an issue since we had two teenagers with their own laptops. We had delicious food delivered from Mario's with menu available at front desk and ate on table in the courtyard.

• Liked — Close to ariport
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Little Rock
Reviewed 8 June 2008

Our entire stay was colored by the two hours we spent once in the Newark area trying to find the hotel and the cell phone long distance charges we rang up on calls, including talking to the hotel, when we were lost. When someone has to call for directions from the Pulaski Skyway and says they are from out of state and lost, there should be a better support system than just keep going south on Rte I-9.

The aerial view of the hotel on the website is misleading. It's on a service road and is very hard to see -- signage is abyssmal. While we could locate the grouping for Hampden Inn and Hyatt easily, even after finding out in one of our calls that it was grouped with Fairfield and seeing that sign, the Courtyard was still hard to spot.

Even after looking at the map actually at the hotel the road system and entrance is confusing. What they need to do is tell you where not to go and give you tips like it looks like you are going onto an exit only for NJ Turnpike and I 78, but that's what you need to take for the service entrance. And, stay in left lane to make sure you stay on Rte. 1-9 if you have taken the U turn pass over. It's all high speed in the area, and if you are in the wrong lane, you wind up in Hillside or headed someplace else.

While there is a street number for the motel, nowhere is it posted. Google takes you into Jersey City. Once on Rte 1-9 you have to work to get turned around if you miss a turn. At times we could see the hotel but couldn't get there. We had to go to the main Marriott at the airport to get directions, which must happen a lot because the concierge was prepared with printed directions -- but those are still inadequate.

We didn't finally arrive until 6 p.m., having squandered the afternoon getting lost. But we still had to wait for the room to be made up.

Not even a complimentary breakfast at this motel. And good thing we were going to Jersey CIty for dinner.

Like a fortress with key card parking and spikes. Had to go into office to exit parking lot after leaving keycard in room and not being able to raise the gate -- there was a sign for guests checking out to press white button for intercom, but we didn't see it.

We're of average intellligence and eyesight and have both traveled the world, but we never want to see the Newark Courtyard again.

• Liked — The room and lobby were attractive
  • Disliked — Location and lack of good directions and signage.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Newark hotels

va
Reviewed 13 May 2008

Room was not made up on the first day. I had to wait in the lobby after returning home from a long day of appts while they made up the room

They were cleaning the carpets on the first floor. The hallways and the elevator stunk like chemicals.

The lobby is like a train station---always. Very disconcerting. People are eating right in front of you as you check in.

I hate this hotel, and I am a big Marrot customer.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
New Palestine, Indiana
Reviewed 8 April 2008

We also had problems with the hotel and our vehicle being broken into. My husband loaded the van and came to the room to get my daughter, son, and I. The three to five minutes he was gone from the van, it was broken into. The only person outside was an employee picking up trash less than 40 feet from our van, when my husband came back out he was no where to be seen. His shift conviently ended when our van was broken into. My husband and the police searched for the black trash bag that he was cleaning the grounds with. My huband was then told that the Marriott only uses clear bags. They could not check the surveillance tapes because Marriott does not have any on their property. The employee was immediately ordered to come back by the police and detective. He claims to have seen nothing or heard nothing. The detective and police officer both believe it was him, but unfortunately he was able to leave the property with the evidence. They hinted the same thing to manager. The manager defensively told us all that the employee had worked their 8 years. Seeing the other break-in post and knowing this employee worked nights, it seems that this is a habit. The thief knew exactly where to break in to and it would have to be someone close by as our windows are tinted. My husband talked to the legal department and explained that he was initially glad that an employee was close by. What a laugh on us. The Marriott Legal told us the signs clearly state to take all of you valuables with you. WORD OF WARNING- UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO CARRY ALL OF YOUR VALUABLE WITH YOU (CAMERAS, COMPUTERS, ETC) EVEN WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO LOAD UP AND CHECKOUT, DO NOT CHECK-IN TO THIS MARRIOTT. The only nice thing I can say was that the Marriott paid to have our van window replaced since the van was locked. I wish I had read the reviews here before I booked my room on Expedia. If you know someone who is planning on staying here, please share this information. The stuff can be replace, but all of our vacation photos and videos cannot.

• Liked — Ease of Check in
  • Disliked — Safety and Security
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank msdltmom
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 February 2008

Exactly what you'd expct from a courtyard. The hotel is accross the street from the airport, but I advise you to take the shuttle, because even with a Garmin, it's confusing. There was always a cop around, so it's obviously not a good neigborhood, which I don't think there are any good nieighborhoods in Newark. If you want a place to stay for a night or 2 this is it. It takes over an hour to get into NYC.

• Liked — Close to the airport
  • Disliked — Confusing to get in and out of airport even with a Garmin
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
Peoria, IL
Reviewed 21 December 2007

We were on a family vacation and decided to stay in New Jersey and take the train into New York to avoid the traffic. What a mistake! Our car was broken into overnight and the manager did nothing to help us. She even said this seldom happens but talking to the maintenance man who was very helpful in cleaning our mess up he said this happens alot. We got the window replaced and I was told the opposite side of the hotel was a better place to park the next night. We woke up and found 4 other cars right next to our car had been broken into even with a police car stationed out front. This is in a BAD neighborhood and the manager did nothing to help the victims. She didn't even try to make a bad situation better by comping our room or meal or anything. If they would have told everyone in the hotel that a break-in had occurred the first night there may have been less theft the second night. I caution anyone to stay clear of this hotel unless you don't value your car or it's possessions. I would have considered staying at another Courtyard except for the runaround we got from reporting this to Marriott. They lost a customer for life!

• Liked — The glass company could find it.
  • Disliked — The manager didn't know the first thing about customer service!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family