“OK Airport Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Farnham, United Kingdom
“OK Airport Hotel”
Reviewed 26 October 2008

A late night arrival and early morning departure meant this was a quick visit - which is all you'd want to do really.

Room was spacious and clean - almost a suite. Modern furniture and facilities. The bedlinen, though clean, had not been ironed which was odd.

The casual bar and restaurant area was nice for this class of hotel and the staff were friendly.

• Liked — Proximity to airport
  • Disliked — NYC Cab drivers don't want to go to Newark !
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 3 August 2008

I've stayed at this hotel last February with my wife, we were arriving at Newark Airport early morning and would have a connection on the following morning. We wanted somewhere close to the airport and that would allow us to spend the day in NYC. The hotel offered a free bus from and to the airport what turned out to be very convenient. The room was a standard Courtyard, clean, cozy, good sized, but not luxury room. The staff was great from the check in to the bus driver, specially the driver during early morning. He was smiling and with excellent humor, what made us start the day laughing. The were some complementary cookis in the lobby, with coffee. Also some computers with printers were available what was also convenient to check in online and print the boarding pass.
I recommend it as long as you are not intending to spend more than one day in Manhattan.

• Liked — Location was perfect for Newark flyers
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 July 2008

I have stayed at other Marriott hotels in the past, so I booked this hotel without any concerns. Now, I think I will look more carefully in the future.

On the whole, this hotel was not bad:
1. The room was clean, and did not have any hint of smoke (the entire hotel is smoke-free!).
2. The linens were in good shape and comfortable.
3. The parking was free and was convenient.
4. The airport shuttle was on time, and it makes its last run from the hotel about midnight, so we were able to catch an 8:00pm show in the city, ride the NJ transit out to EWR, and still get the free shuttle.

But there were some obvious problems:
1. I had a bug fall onto me while I was in the shower.
2. The walls are very thin! We could hear the childen of the family in the room on one side, and the chit-chat of travelers in the other.
3. Two different housekeeping staff tried to enter our room at 8:30 and 8:40 am, without knocking and waiting for a response, and before we had checked out of the room.
4: An additional caveat--Some online travel-booking sites list that this hotel has free breakfast. However, if you book and pay through the Marriott's online system, you will not get the breakfast--they will want $15/person for a breakfast buffet, and will charge you $1.50 for coffee (when there is free coffee for all guests just 10 feet away).

My wife says that we should have stayed at the Comfort Inn.

• Liked — Free airport shuttle
  • Disliked — Noisiness in the hallways and from other rooms.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Yamamus

Travellers are raving about these Newark hotels

SG
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Booked my stay via the Marriott website. For international visitors with AAA card, please remember to use this discount and save a little bit of money.

The intention to stay at Courtyard was because we were catching a flight the next day and needed a place to sleep after a long flight to NJ. We chose Courtyard over the others because of the lower price but I would say that it was both cheap and good.

It was very convenient to go there from the Newark airport because the hotel offers free shuttle service. Next, the room was clean and comfortable, and there was private bathroom and cable TV.

There was light breakfast provided too - just some muffins/bread and juice. And there is a computer unit at the lobby with free Internet - good if you need to catch any last minute travel information before you depart.

Hotel arranges shuttle from Courtyard to Newark too... overall a good rest for us before we continue with the rest of the trip.

• Stayed April 2007
1 Thank bittercool
montreal
Reviewed 12 July 2008

I wanted to surprise my boyfriend by bringning him to New York for a couple of days. I thought that it would be easy to get around using the PATH or the NJtransit, I even contacted the hotel and inquired about how easy it is to get around, they said it would take less then 20Min. They lied of course. The first night we arrived the night clerk told us to take the Marriot shuttle to P4 then to transfer onto the Hilton Penn Station shuttle to get to the PATH and NJtransit. So we did that in the morning, had to argue with the chauffer of the Hilton Shuttle. We used the same method to come back, got yelled at from the hilton staff, told us that the marriot had no right to do this and told us that they would bring us anyways in a couple of minutes. They made us wait more then 30 minutes to take a shuttle then the driver tried to pressure us into giving him a 10$ tip!!! So, you can see what type of a stay we had.... Dont go to this hotel if your planing on seing New York, and dont even bother asking the staff questions about New York, they just dont know the city. The rooms where nice, and the room service was quick. The Cleaning people where great.

Dont go to this hotel if you want to see new york, it will cost you seriously alot less to stay in manhattan.

• Liked — clean room, no noise
  • Disliked — location, staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2008

It is true the hotel is hard to find but once you get there it is so convenient to ewr. Free shuttle to airport and only about a 5 minute drive. Clean comfortable rooms, comfortable beds, balcony/patio doors. Indoor pool and hot tub, but hot tub wasn't working got to use the pool a bit before it was over taken by unruly kids then moved to outdoor lounge chairs.
There is a lot of airport noise but I am used to that anyway so didn't really notice it much.
There is a nice lounge area and a small restaurant. The food and staff at the restaurant were excellent and the drinks were great. There is a computer area also in the lobby for use. They put out ice tea, lemonade and cookies in the evening but I missed the cookies as I believe the unruly children grabbed them all.
I did not have a problem with my car, no break-ins. As for it being in a bad neighborhood..well it isn't really in a neighborhood it's just 3 hotels off the highway, in fact my mother and I went for a walk around the area. Though then again I live in Philly so maybe my idea of a bad neighborhood is diffrerent from others.
It definitely was a pleasant stay and served it's purpose for a one night stay before a flight.

• Liked — the restaurant staff and food
  • Disliked — broken hot tub
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Arkansas
Reviewed 14 June 2008

Stayed here for one night using reward points after a vacation in New York City. We had a driver take us here and used the free shuttle to get to the airport. Room was large and comfortable for the four of us, but rather noisy, both from toilets flushing and doors closing, and also from traffic noise. Internet access is wired which was an issue since we had two teenagers with their own laptops. We had delicious food delivered from Mario's with menu available at front desk and ate on table in the courtyard.

• Liked — Close to ariport
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family