“Very friendly staff and great downtown location”

Hilton Newark Penn Station
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Newark
“Very friendly staff and great downtown location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

If you need to stay in downtown Newark, you will be pleased with the Hilton. It is across the street from Penn Station. The hotel bar/restaurant provides a good atmosphere and good food -- the bar tender is excellent, friendly, and remembers people by name. The rooms are as you expect of a Hilton and the staff goes out of their way to be friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Lori S, Front Office Manager at Hilton Newark Penn Station, responded to this review, 23 July 2014

Lori

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Spent a very short night here, having arrived at 1 AM for an early appointment in NYC. I chose the hotel to take advantage of its location at Newark Penn Station as it's quicker to get into Manhattan by rail than car during morning rush hour. I'm a silver/gold Hilton member and have a standing request to be given a room away from the elevators. This is the first time in years that the request didn't happen. Although it concerned me, the elevators didn't bother me. The ice machine right across from my room was loud however. Also the windows allow a lot of street noise in; not a problem for me on this trip as I needed to be up early anyway but if a 5:30 AM wake up call in the form of a motorcycle is not your idea of a good morning, bring your earplugs and noise machine. As far as cleanliness, there were hairs in the bathtub and when we opened the door, the room was stale. The air conditioner helped alleviate the staleness but is one of the old units that sits under the window and it was noisy. I would stay here again but only because of the location. When checking out, I needed to leave a suitcase with the bellman. He was no where to be found. Someone (a manager?) arrived and asked if he could help. I explained that I needed to drop bags but instead of doing it himself, he left to find the bellman who was helping a bus full of people with their bags. They definitely needed another bellman during the early morning crush.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ice machines.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank swanchat56
Cape Town, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I spent two nights in Newark in transit from Europe to Montana. I chose this hotel because of its convenient location: close to the airport and easy rail access to Manhattan. The hotel decor is showing its age, but the rooms are large and comfortable and I found the staff were mostly highly efficient, friendly and helpful. The facilities (complimentary business center and fitness center) were very good. I found the food to be a bit pricey, but that may be true of the New York area generally. All in all, I would recommend this hotel for anyone needing a comfortable place to stay with good access to transport options.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank orangemike

Tacoma, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

it's a trusted brand near main lines of mass transit. However, the hotel is dated, and a lot of the vagabonds try to make their way through the lobby for warmth on the way to the train station. I never felt unsafe....but it didn't live up to my expectations either.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Steve H
We're happy to hear from you, and appreciate your kind review. Nothing brings us greater satisfaction than the recognition from guests like you of the excellent service delivered during your stay with us at Hilton Newark Penn Station. I do apologize that we did not live up to your expecations.

port of spain, Trinidad and Tobago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

this hotel location has tried to live up to the brands image and intent through the staffs combined effort the major problem on my visit was the transport from the airport to the hotel due to the length of time i had to await the bus causing me to travel by taxi

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Robert A
Lori S, Front Office Manager at Hilton Newark Penn Station, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
We're happy to hear from you, and appreciate your kind review. Nothing brings us greater satisfaction than the recognition from guests like you of the excellent service delivered during your stay with us at Hilton Newark Penn Station. I will be looking into your concern regarding transportation and working with the team to eliminate the issue,

Laguna Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

I had meetings in NJ and Manhattan and decided to try this hotel. It is connected to the train station and it is only $5 to get to NY Penn Station right next to Madison Square Garden. Easy to figure out the train system. Within walking distance are about 40 International restaurants on Ferry Street. Rooms were larger than I expected, typical Hilton shampoo and soap which is fine for me. Staff was friendly and helpful. Free airport shuttle service to Newark Airport.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank atlagunabeach
We're happy to hear from you, and appreciate your kind review. Nothing brings us greater satisfaction than the recognition from guests like you of the excellent service delivered during your stay with us at Hilton Newark Penn Station. I look forward to sharing your compliments with our staff. We hope you will have an opportunity to return for another visit in the near future.

Elkridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Very nice accommodations, friendly staff, clean and convenient to New York City. We arrived early, around noon, and were delighted to find our room was ready and we could check in. Once luggage was in our room we were off to NYC. The train station is super convenient and only a short ride to the NYC Penn Station. Our 2 night stay could not have been better and when we want to go into NYC again this is the hotel we will choose.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple