“Great place for a layover”

Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newark
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We had travelled for 26 hours from Sydney so we were very grateful to have a night in a hotel before embarking on our final destination the next day. The shuttle bus was frequent, checked into our room quickly but we felt there was limited choice in food to purchase and the service was too slow so we gave up. The beds were sooooo comfy and we slept well. The shuttle bus was easy to catch next morning and the place served its purpose well.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank frizzy63
There are newer reviews for Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Normally airport hotels aren't that great but the Marriott was. The lobby was excellent, the room was comfortable, room service was great. Internet (and I psi for the premium level) was a bit patchy and slow. For being stuck in Newark for an extra night due to a missed flight the Marriott definitely made my stay better. Only con was the pillows on the bed. Only 2 regular pillows and lots of decorative ones I never used. Also needed more towels in the room instead of the 2 that were there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AZTVLR71
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed at the Newark Marriott for one night before an early flight. I stayed on the concierge floor, the main benefit of which is free food and drinks. The concierge lounge faces the airport, and has an interesting view, as do the airport-facing rooms. The sound insolation is fantastic, not a sound from the airport or traffic. The beds and bedding were comfortable, and the room was fine, but nothing special. I was missing a couple of toiletries, and was quickly brought conditioner on request, but they were out of shower caps (!). The shower itself was OK, but kept getting cooler, and after a while it emitted a high-pitched sound (room 1004 if the hotel is listening). I was flying out of terminal B, which is quite walkable, though you have to step over a guardrail and walk through a parking lot. The video checkout wasn't working, and I wasn't going to pay Marriott for WiFi to download the new Marriott app, so I checked out in person. Staff were fine throughout.

Room Tip: Airport-facing rooms have a better view, and are completely quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I had not planned to stay three nights at Newark (show storm...) but I guess this hotel is alright with clean and large rooms including large and comfy beds. The heater was perhaps a bit noisy. And the food was not that great. My biggest problem was the price, which I found to be far to high for what you get. Since you have to go around in a shuttle bus anyway, you might as well go a bit further to something cheaper.

Room Tip: Does really matter; airport and roads all around.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank makkipakki
Steve S, Manager at Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

We appreciate your taking the time to submit your feedback of our hotel. Providing brilliant service and product to our guests is our goal. We will share your comments with our team. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Have stayed here many times over the past 20 years and Marriott has done a pretty good job bringing it up to date and keeping it clean. The rooms are functional and quiet. The front desk staff has always been very friendy, helpful and efficient. This hotel appears to be the most convenient airport hotel at Newark Airport - it's not walkable but I've always found the shuttles to run very frequently. Definitely a good option for a late night arrival or early morning departure.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BGosivetti
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

As an airport hotel, most people are there a night or two. I spent eleven. The welcome was excellent and the staff in general were most pleasant (many I have recognized from periodic stays over the past ten years. Funnily enough, a couple of them recognized me too.)

The room was fine standard Marriott fare and nicely appointed. My closet was, however, about 2ft wide, which was unfortunate as I had plenty to hang in it. The ironing board thus lived out in the room for the duration, to make space. The room was well serviced and kept nicely clean. The duvet was on the thin side for winter weather, but since I was alone I could fold it double to get the comfort I needed.

The lobby, restaurant and bar were recently updated. I kind of miss the old dimly-lit "70's camp" Aviation bar lounge, but the new consolidated restaurant/lounge/bar set-up is very appealing. Table service was not good at all, so I chose to go to the bar itself, where the service was quick, attentive and cordial.

The Concierge Lounge was a bit too hectic and crowded for my taste, but the fare was up to standard. In the evenings they go above the average with the hot selection and an excellent homemade nightly soup. The attendants were all friendly and kept things stocked. Jacqueline in particular was delightful.

I'll be back again for another eleven night stay later in the year and will be happy to do so. Hopefully I'll get one of the rooms with a larger closet!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed here in February 2014 as part of a large group of Irish dancers. We chose this hotel because it was where the competition was being held and that made it the easiest choice. This is a four star hotel, and whilst it may get those stars from the quality of the rooms, they certainly didn't get it from their quality of customer service. One of the first, and biggest, issues I had with this hotel was the hidden costs we incurred when checking in. The rude woman on reception informed us that we were required to pay a $30 fee per room per night as a deposit in case we broke anything. This was on top of the $130 a night we had already paid. This took a huge $150 out of our shopping budget for the week. A number of us struggled to pay for the trip as it was and we were not informed about this charge when booking. None of the employees were particularly helpful, the acted like the hated their jobs and would rather be anywhere but in work. This is not acceptable for a four star hotel.
When we went to eat we were disappointed at the menu options. Either you paid $20 for a meat dish, plus tax and not including sides, or you paid $20 for the buffet. Neither of which were of a particularly high quality of food. We sat in a group of about 8-10 people every night and each of us opted for the buffet. Magically, the hotel managed to charge us a different price every night and hiked up the tax but charging each person at the table the tax and service charge for 10 people. This meant that each person at a table of 8 was paying approximately $18 in tax and service charge on top of their meal. Breakfast was the exact same.
There was a Starbucks station in the hotel but it did not have any opening hours listed. We got our coffee fix for the first couple of days without problem but then we were rudely told by a staff member that the station closes at 10am. We accepted this, after a bit of a debate, and asked for a coffee and the bar, his response was "i'm don't look after that section", he then walked away.

I could go on and on and ON about the staff in this hotel but I fear an ongoing rant. I would definitely not stay in this hotel ever again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Aisling K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
#4 of 14 in Elizabeth
Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport
Best Western Plus Newark Airport West

Been to Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!