“The Robert Treat hotel was a great choice for us” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
BEST WESTERN PLUS Robert Treat Hotel
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Washington State
“The Robert Treat hotel was a great choice for us”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I really didn't know what to expect in Newark. The Robert Treat Hotel was a great place to base our NYC adventure. We chose this hotel because of its proximity to the Newark Penn station and because of the complementary shuttle that runs every half hour. We never waited longer than 15 minutes. The shuttle is clean and the drivers were courteous.

The hotel is clean and nicely furnished. Our room faced the back parking lot so it was surprisingly quiet at night. We also had a distant view of the city which was nice. We ordered roomservice through the Maize Restaurant and found it to be tasty. We ordered a 14" pizza and 8 piece buffalo wings for about $20. They tacked on a20% tip.

Only two things were bothersome: the temperature controls are not room specific and I thought the breakfast was meager.

All in all we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the east side - they are quiet and have a view Stay away from rooms adj to the elevat...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Several weeks ago, I booked an online reservation to stay at this hotel for work. The fact that this hotel refused to honor this rate was ultimately the least of my problems.

The hotel is "sketchy," and, more importantly, good customer service seems to be a novel and foreign concept to employees at this hotel.

After checking in and going out to dinner, I returned to find a big group of other guests sitting on the floor in the hallway where my room was located, just "hanging out," talking, parading up and down, speaking loudly, joking and generally disruptive. In my thirty years of traveling for work (and for recreation), I've never encountered such inappropriate behavior in a hotel---ever.

I sought out the front desk staff face to face; they were completely unable to provide any sort of assurance and just stated they'd send security to investigate. I therefore asked for a room reassignment and was provided another room in a less desirable location, despite reassurances that this would not be the case----that is, that the new room would also be in a good location, with similar amenities.

Within 30 minutes of being in this new room, someone came to my room, began banging on the door, inserting a key, trying to come in and also refusing to identify themselves despite my requests. When I called the front desk regarding this matter, they again did not seem to appreciate my concerns, simply stating that they'd send security. Did they? Beats me. Did they conduct any follow-up with me? Not at all.

The final blow came at checkout when front desk staff insisted they could't fulfill the "guaranteed" online rate. They clearly stated that they were aware that their records stated that I had been "guaranteed" a lower online rate. However, they asserted that since I didn't "catch" a rate discrepancy when checking in (that is that they had re-set the rate higher for my stay), it was, therefore, my error and I was fully liable. To me this is a classic case of bait and switch. If you've got to be this hypervigilent to get a rate that's been promised....I'd say, stay somewhere else.

By checkout time, I was super motivated to escape from probably the worst hotel experience I'd ever had and to get to the airport super early where I could hopefully feel safe again. As such, I didn't ask to speak to a manager/supervisor to address this other matter.

Take home point: Don't stay at this hotel as it lack overall integrity. Aside from possibly being charged more $$$ then was guaranteed online:

STAFF IS INDIFFERENT and YOUR PHYSICAL SAFETY MAY BE ON THE LINE----A DANGEROUS COMBINATION.

8 Thank NYCDCGirl
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed at the hotel on January 4th to January 6. And I love that stay: very cozy, nice breakfast, good price, the whole enviroment was good!!! Interesting design of the canteen, frontdesk was very nice and friendly. I myself enjoyed my stay and also loved the shuttle bus service - every 30 minutes very comfortable. I had to stay there not predictable because of my flight delayed and I didn't regret about my choice!!!!))))))))

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Seneca Falls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

My colleague and I stayed here just one night but we were both very pleased. Although not large, the rooms were clean and nicely furnished. We had planned to go out for dinner but decided to try the hotel restaurant. The menu was not extensive, but the ambiance, service, and food were all excellent.
Others have complained about the neighborhood, but we were pleasantly surprised. Nice shops and restaurants near-by and a lovely park right across the street. Also adjacent to the performing arts center.

1 Thank dodiorne
Colebrook, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I was very flag to try this hotel last night... Very good service, room very clean and comfortable bed, great fitness center plus very good complimentary breakfast!

The only down side the Internet was not working well this time.. Server must have been down or something!!!

• Stayed March 2012
Eagan, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

OK I know it's March but it's 80 degrees in my room and "they" can't turn on the air because the whole building is on the same system (even though the room has it's own unit). You figure it out. All I know is it's miserable, they don't care so why should I? Also - not a nice greeting to see cigarette burns on your bedspread. Yuck.

Room Tip: If you are forced to stay here ask for a non street side room.
2 Thank AteT00Much
Quebec City, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I stayed at the Best Western for 2 nights. The room was fine, one king bed and a flat screen TV. This is an older property in town but it is in good shape. I found the room to be a bit noisy but not enough to disturb my sleep. The neighborhood is kind of doubtful, but ok for a quick trip.

Except the neighborhood, the location is just great. 5 minutes walk from Newark Penn Station or Prudential Center. You just have to take the PATH to go to NY for 2$ or Train for 5$.

Good quality price for the money if you compare with the Hilton overprice in this neighborhood. The price of the room included breakfast and free shuttle to the airport.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple