“Better Than Expected”

Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Although this is no where near a luxury hotel, it was much better than I expected. I had business in Brooklyn and did not want to pay Manhattan prices and did not see any hotel deals in Brooklyn that looked safe or nice. I have never stayed in Newark and was very skeptical about it, especially considering all of the negative bs I have heard about Newark for more than 25 years. I paid $110 per night, and all of the rooms I saw in the city were more than $250 per night.

When I got to the hotel, I was pleasently surpriced. It is located in a very safe area, across the street from the New Jersey Performing Arts Center. In fact, Smokey Robinson was performing the night I arrived. There is a decent (although a little expensive for its quality) restaurant in the hotel. The staff was nice. It is located within walking distance to Newark's Penn Station (I rented a car so I only know this because that is what the deck clerk told me). Parking was free, which is huge in NYC metro. It's not far from Newark International Airport. With a rental car, it is a 10-15 minute drive into the city using the Holland Tunnel, which costs $13 but only charges going into the city and does not charge leaving.

The negatives are as follows: The room was small (but what you expect in NYC metro). I did not see any restaurants near the hotel. The walls are like paper, so I heard what appeared to be school girls loudly talking all night. The business center charges to use the computer and printer (I am not sure I have ever stayed in a hotel that charges for this). The cable television had very few channels (but who sits in the room when you are in NYC metro?)

I will definitely stay in Newark again and will probably stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JollyHenceforth
Write a ReviewReviews (1,364)

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Affordable stay close to NYC. Nice rooms, with very good beds. Rather limited breakfast. Nice people. Fast working free internet at the room. A bit outdated bathroom. The area is a bit dull, but we will go back there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Oivind F
Reviewed 14 October 2013

When I checked in I was horrified(being insomniac) to be allocated a room next to a lift,I asked for a room change but was told the hotel was fully booked but was told I could change my room in 2 days. It was dreadful listening to the lift through the night but true to his word,I got a room change 2 days later,right at the end of the corridor,yippee. The rooms are of decent size with coffee maker,fridge,iron/iron board and nice decor and comfy bed. The breakfast is continental but nice. It was a much better stay than my previous one and all staff seemed friendly. Recommend.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room next to a lift as if you get hardly any sleep like me or are a light sleeper the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Location is great - Just off the turnpike & garden state parkway - and across from the NJPAC (New Jersey Performing Arts Center) and close to the RedBull soccer stadium & Amtrak Train station... By chance we happened upon this hotel. The reception was friendly and accommodating, the rooms clean and with a nice view of the park and the common areas interesting. The best, however, was the dinner we had at the Maize Restaurant. Other than breakfast, we don't usually eat at hotels but being tired and hungry we decided to stay put. We were NOT disappointed ! Calamari was delicious, the shrimp fresh & tasty and my chateaubriand tender. The service was great and our waiter, Paulo, even ran after me with my purse which I had left on the back of my chair. With a free shuttle to Newark Airport, we will definitely be staying
at this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: we were in 1015 and it was perfect !
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Excellent clean room with all the usual amenities within a short, safe walk to Newark's Penn Station (with a $2.50 Path ride to NY and a $1.50 local bus to EWR). Free continental breakfast a bit crowded and limited but friendly service more than makes up for it. The same room in NY would have cost at least double, and the R.T. was great to come home to. We walked to the Ironbound (10 mins the other side of Penn Station) three nights in a row and found great restaurants, one Brazilian, one Portuguese, one Spanish. They run a shuttle to the station and the airport but we didn't use it, although in winter it would be good.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Very reasonably priced with a shuttle to NJ Penn Station and two stops away from NYC Penn Station. Super friendly staff (Julia ) in the complimentary breakfast room. It is much cheaper than staying in the city across the Hudson.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple