“Great hotel, and especially for visiting New York”

Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 26 October 2013

There's a fine history to the hotel, but the staff are helpful and the hotel comfort levels and fittings are what the modern traveller expect.

We had a very good start to our visit, dealing with Liliana Mercedes on the front desk. She was interested in us, effective in all she did for us and friendly without being overbearing, as some Americans can be. We used the hotel shuttle to Newark Penn Station each day, with no problems whatsoever.

Would readily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Billy3710
Write a ReviewReviews (1,362)

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed here for one night before flying out of Newark and quite honestly for the cost its absolutely fine. I arrived early for check in and the staff were very accomodating and got me checked in even though I was a few hours early. The room was clean and the beds comfy enough. Its pretty outdated but as I say it does the job. For the purpose which I needed it and I imagine most people use it for that same reason you could do a hell of a lot worse. The only word of warning I would give you is that the car park is not very big. I was luckily enough to nab the last space in it and that was at midday. Checking later on it did not appear to empty at all so I think it is probably not just for hotel guests but it is probably also used by people working in the area. Its also fairly close to the train station and light rail stops. There is not a lot in the surrounding area to keep you occupied but if you are staying in Newark I can't imagine thats why you are there in the first place. Its very convenient for the airport and took about 10-15 mins first thing in the morning. I cannot comment on the breakfast that was included in my room as I did not have it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The staff of the hotel is not very nice. The have very unreliable shuttle service. I went into the very large and empty restaurant, was seated right away. When I ordered an appetizer and a salad the waiter told me I could not eat only an appetizer and a salad in the dining room, I could only eat in the bar. The bar had only high-top chairs which is very uncomfortable for someone who is short as my legs dangle...then go to sleep. So I left and went somewhere else to eat. My air conditioner didn't work and when I reported it, the front desk person told me that they turn all the air off and that the hotel only has one air conditioner and that only mine could be turned on. The maintenance person came, was very nice, however, he couldn't speak English so I am not sure he realized I was hot instead of cold. After a stuffy night, I reported it again and they fixed it.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank skeeterflorida
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Although this is no where near a luxury hotel, it was much better than I expected. I had business in Brooklyn and did not want to pay Manhattan prices and did not see any hotel deals in Brooklyn that looked safe or nice. I have never stayed in Newark and was very skeptical about it, especially considering all of the negative bs I have heard about Newark for more than 25 years. I paid $110 per night, and all of the rooms I saw in the city were more than $250 per night.

When I got to the hotel, I was pleasently surpriced. It is located in a very safe area, across the street from the New Jersey Performing Arts Center. In fact, Smokey Robinson was performing the night I arrived. There is a decent (although a little expensive for its quality) restaurant in the hotel. The staff was nice. It is located within walking distance to Newark's Penn Station (I rented a car so I only know this because that is what the deck clerk told me). Parking was free, which is huge in NYC metro. It's not far from Newark International Airport. With a rental car, it is a 10-15 minute drive into the city using the Holland Tunnel, which costs $13 but only charges going into the city and does not charge leaving.

The negatives are as follows: The room was small (but what you expect in NYC metro). I did not see any restaurants near the hotel. The walls are like paper, so I heard what appeared to be school girls loudly talking all night. The business center charges to use the computer and printer (I am not sure I have ever stayed in a hotel that charges for this). The cable television had very few channels (but who sits in the room when you are in NYC metro?)

I will definitely stay in Newark again and will probably stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JollyHenceforth
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Affordable stay close to NYC. Nice rooms, with very good beds. Rather limited breakfast. Nice people. Fast working free internet at the room. A bit outdated bathroom. The area is a bit dull, but we will go back there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Oivind F
Reviewed 14 October 2013

When I checked in I was horrified(being insomniac) to be allocated a room next to a lift,I asked for a room change but was told the hotel was fully booked but was told I could change my room in 2 days. It was dreadful listening to the lift through the night but true to his word,I got a room change 2 days later,right at the end of the corridor,yippee. The rooms are of decent size with coffee maker,fridge,iron/iron board and nice decor and comfy bed. The breakfast is continental but nice. It was a much better stay than my previous one and all staff seemed friendly. Recommend.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room next to a lift as if you get hardly any sleep like me or are a light sleeper the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com