“Bad reception and mistaken booking”

Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Looking for hotel near New Jersey Garden Mall, we have found a good price for 2 rooms with double bed in Newark. I have sent an e mail to verifiy if the conditions were confirmed. no response was sent. We arrived at the hotel and they told us that we had ONE room with two double beds. The beds were small and we confirmed in our invoice that there was two descriptions. Booking.com translated the offer WRONG. So 4 persons were installed in a small room with "double" bed. No conversation was possible with the manager.
Booking.com had offered assistance at the beginning but not any follow up.
My review has the intention to advertise everybody about possible offers and the bad condition of this hotel.
It was written that the restaurant is open until 11PM but this is true only for room service.

À procura de hotéis perto de New Jersey Garden Mall, nós encontramos um bom preço para 2 quartos com cama de casal em Newark. Enviei um e-mail para comprovar as condições e nenhuma resposta foi enviada. Chegamos no hotel e eles nos disseram que tínhamos um quarto com duas camas de casal. As camas eram pequenas e confirmamos que em nossa fatura que havia duas descrições. Booking.com traduziu a oferta ERRADO. Assim, quatro pessoas foram instaladas em um pequeno quarto com duas camas.
Minha análise tem a intenção de advertir a todos sobre possíveis ofertas e o mau estado de conservação deste hotel.
Foi descrito que o restaurante está aberto até às 23:00, mas isso só é verdade para o serviço de quarto.

Room Tip: Several hotels if you want to be close to the Mall
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sara1818

Reviewed 27 October 2013

A late night employee (after 10 pm) helped us get to the hotel after a Brooklyn cab driver got lost. We were so relieved to arrive. The service at check in and check out both were favorable as was the shuttle to the airport the next morning. Overall the hotel provided a very pleasant experience at a very reasonable cost.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 26 October 2013

There's a fine history to the hotel, but the staff are helpful and the hotel comfort levels and fittings are what the modern traveller expect.

We had a very good start to our visit, dealing with Liliana Mercedes on the front desk. She was interested in us, effective in all she did for us and friendly without being overbearing, as some Americans can be. We used the hotel shuttle to Newark Penn Station each day, with no problems whatsoever.

Would readily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Billy3710
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed here for one night before flying out of Newark and quite honestly for the cost its absolutely fine. I arrived early for check in and the staff were very accomodating and got me checked in even though I was a few hours early. The room was clean and the beds comfy enough. Its pretty outdated but as I say it does the job. For the purpose which I needed it and I imagine most people use it for that same reason you could do a hell of a lot worse. The only word of warning I would give you is that the car park is not very big. I was luckily enough to nab the last space in it and that was at midday. Checking later on it did not appear to empty at all so I think it is probably not just for hotel guests but it is probably also used by people working in the area. Its also fairly close to the train station and light rail stops. There is not a lot in the surrounding area to keep you occupied but if you are staying in Newark I can't imagine thats why you are there in the first place. Its very convenient for the airport and took about 10-15 mins first thing in the morning. I cannot comment on the breakfast that was included in my room as I did not have it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The staff of the hotel is not very nice. The have very unreliable shuttle service. I went into the very large and empty restaurant, was seated right away. When I ordered an appetizer and a salad the waiter told me I could not eat only an appetizer and a salad in the dining room, I could only eat in the bar. The bar had only high-top chairs which is very uncomfortable for someone who is short as my legs dangle...then go to sleep. So I left and went somewhere else to eat. My air conditioner didn't work and when I reported it, the front desk person told me that they turn all the air off and that the hotel only has one air conditioner and that only mine could be turned on. The maintenance person came, was very nice, however, he couldn't speak English so I am not sure he realized I was hot instead of cold. After a stuffy night, I reported it again and they fixed it.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank skeeterflorida
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Although this is no where near a luxury hotel, it was much better than I expected. I had business in Brooklyn and did not want to pay Manhattan prices and did not see any hotel deals in Brooklyn that looked safe or nice. I have never stayed in Newark and was very skeptical about it, especially considering all of the negative bs I have heard about Newark for more than 25 years. I paid $110 per night, and all of the rooms I saw in the city were more than $250 per night.

When I got to the hotel, I was pleasently surpriced. It is located in a very safe area, across the street from the New Jersey Performing Arts Center. In fact, Smokey Robinson was performing the night I arrived. There is a decent (although a little expensive for its quality) restaurant in the hotel. The staff was nice. It is located within walking distance to Newark's Penn Station (I rented a car so I only know this because that is what the deck clerk told me). Parking was free, which is huge in NYC metro. It's not far from Newark International Airport. With a rental car, it is a 10-15 minute drive into the city using the Holland Tunnel, which costs $13 but only charges going into the city and does not charge leaving.

The negatives are as follows: The room was small (but what you expect in NYC metro). I did not see any restaurants near the hotel. The walls are like paper, so I heard what appeared to be school girls loudly talking all night. The business center charges to use the computer and printer (I am not sure I have ever stayed in a hotel that charges for this). The cable television had very few channels (but who sits in the room when you are in NYC metro?)

I will definitely stay in Newark again and will probably stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JollyHenceforth
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Affordable stay close to NYC. Nice rooms, with very good beds. Rather limited breakfast. Nice people. Fast working free internet at the room. A bit outdated bathroom. The area is a bit dull, but we will go back there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family