“Stolen iPad in room”

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Rochester, United States
“Stolen iPad in room”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My iPad was stolen in my room. The security chief told me that I could either file a police report or he could waive my two-night room bills. He refused to talk about the compensation for the value of a new iPad. It took me 2 hours for his nonsense. Eventually, I was compensated $399 for the value of a new iPad, but I still had to pay for my stay. This property has some party issues because during my 2-night stays, I saw at least 3~4 groups of people got kicked out of the hotel. Definitely wouldn't stay there ever.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Tianyu W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I travel quite a bit from hotel to hotel, and in the area have been to quite a few hotels. I must say this is the first time I have had trouble sleeping in a hotel. For starters, my room was given right next to the elevators. Every time the elevator would go up or down I would hear it, and I heard it all night long. Secondly I'm pretty sure their thermostat's are fake because no matter how much I attempted to change the temperature it would remain constantly at this unbearable high temperature. Even when I turned off the thermostat, it was still going strong. The walls seem like they were made of cardboard because I swear every time a neighbour opened a door it seemed like mine was being opened. I strongly urge anyone looking into getting a hotel for a night look somewhere else, I have been to many other hotels in the area and all of them are strides ahead of this one.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Grisham R
Hong Kong
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I live in NYC, but unfortunately there is no viable way to get to Newark for a 6.45am flight on a Sunday morning, so faced with the choice of a $100 cab fare (from Queens) to the airport, or an $80 hotel (through Hotwire), we chose the latter, and we weren't disappointed. Newark has a reputation for being "edgy", but the Robert Treat is in one of the safer neighborhoods and is a 10 minute walk from Newark (Penn) station/PATH station; the walk is through a commercial district and we didn't feel unsafe at all at 11pm on a Saturday night.

The hotel is nicely appointed; big, spacious lobby and efficient check-in (as in it took around 90 seconds). The room was recently renovated, clean, spacious and with a decent view over the East River. The shuttle bus the next morning left on time (they go every half hour) and took less than 10 minutes to get us to the terminal. Overall a much more pleasant experience than waking up at 3.30am and getting a cab from Queens, through Manhattan, to Jersey.

The only disappointment was that breakfast didn't start til 6.30am; considering it markets itself as an airport hotel it should start early enough to cater for the inevitable guests who use the airport as a staging point for an early flight.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the east river
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank w1000
Yorba Linda, CA
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Maybe the best value hotel in the country? Historic, bordering luxurious in many respects, spacious modern room, and ideally located a quarter block from the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, a block from Penn Station, a block from the Prudential Center (hockey & concerts), and a 15-minute train to downtown Manhattan or the Financial District. And only 15-minutes from Newark Liberty Int'l Airport. A VERY pleasant surprise.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank the_lawayne
Newark, United States
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I had a very relaxing stay at the Best Western Robert Treat Hotel. Very convenient for my co-workers retirement party. Staff was very helpful and pleasant. I recommend this hotel for anyone doing business in Newark, NJ. Very convenient downtown location close to Newark, Penn Station, the NJ PACK and the Prudential Center.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

2 Thank Maria G
Bermuda
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Very convenient hotel for NJPAC & Penn Station. The hotel shuttle service was also very convenient for getting around if needed. There were private functions held in the dining room during our stay which limited use of the bar/lounge area for hotel guests.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Doris F
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I have stayed in Robert Treat for 8 days this March and I have to say it's good hotel. Old one but good. Complimentary breakfast were big plus for me and also price per night is pretty good. Anyway if you are sound sensitive then don't ask for high floor room especially for the 14th, the highest floor! Otherwise a strange sound will be your room-mate all the time. Elevators I was told. And it doesn't matter if you are close or far from the elevators. I have moved to 3rd floor immediately and everything was ok.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo